Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

ButIliketheGluten

First Celiac Symptoms and When?

Rate this topic

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I too am interested in this.  If you look at all the symptoms that I now know could be caused by celiac, it's a lot of things! But specifically, I have some markings on my teeth (not enamel issues, more like discoloration issues) that are typical of celiacs.  My gastroenterologist also said that I have that "celiac look" (fair skin, long light eyelashes).

This makes me wonder, given that you form permanent teeth very early on in your development, have I had it that long? Or could you have something like that even if you have the celiac gene but it hasn't been 'activated' yet?

Does anyone have any thoughts? I know it averages 8 years from symptom onset to diagnosis (so says one of the books I read), but in my case it seems like it could be much longer?

Join eNewsletter

My first symptoms started in early childhood. Some symptoms waxed and waned and some just got worse once they developed.

My guess for me is about 38 years to diagnosis?

Doctors are getting better at diagnosing it sooner. There is something to be said for having a "trendy" disease. ;)  JK

Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter

My symptoms came on early on when I was 10-12 years old. Since then new ones developed as I moved to new places. Some became milder and new ones became stronger. There was no pattern to it. Growing up I used to fall ill and looked quite frail. Unfortunately, back then, no one knew anything about celiac. 

Join eNewsletter