Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Tbeard

Symptom question

Rate this topic

I have  had lupus and  Sjogrens for over 20 years. I also have always (for as long as I can remember) had a terrible stomach. I've always put up with it because it was normal for me. About a year and a half ago I decided to see a gastr ( I'm 44, and my older brother passed from chrohns disease). So I figured I should get my gut checked. So literally about a week prior to my colonoscopy I started getting a rash on my face neck and upper back.  Colonoscopy results showed nothing moved through me. So I was put on meds (still have rash issue). And then put on low fod map diet. Within 3 days of starting diet I no longer needed medication. So I was ecstatic!  At long last a normal stomach.  So now I still have this rash that only goes away with steroid cream or oral steroids. So start seeing allergist and they do patch test. Results showed I have tons of allergies. So I eliminate everything they tell me to. Still get rash. So then they said I had to start looking at diet. So I say all of that to say, that whenever I eat anything with gluten I get the rash. But I tested negative for celiacs disease. So does anyone else get weird rashes?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Welcome!  

What celiac tests were taken?  There is a full blood panel.  The standard screening TTG IGA does not catch all celiacs.  Did they biopsy your small intestine?  This usually is done via an endoscopy not a colonoscopy.   I recommend getting copies of all your lab reports.  Your rash could be DH (celiac) rash.  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

I had this happen to me 5year's ago andi also have dh  but turned out i have lyme disease  snd guess what? Lyme can imitate sjorgens and lupus. The problem is that most people dont remember being bit...you can have it for25 years + like my youngest sister and i and i suddenly got allergies to alot of things that are gone now after 5year's treatment.  The standard lyme test is onky 40% accurate if you think you might have it..Google lyme symptoms  go to an llmd (lyme literate medical dr) or try to get your dr to order an igenix test which is $500...i know its expensive  but your symptoms are very much like mine down to the allergies and rash

Join eNewsletter

6 hours ago, frieze said:

yoo hoo, hey,hey....a rash sounds like an allergy, not celiac, which is autoimmune.....

Just reminding you there is dermatitis herpetiformis aka "the celiac rash". 

We're still waiting for the OP to state what celiac test were done. Serum? Which ones?

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Reynaud's October 2018

Rheumatoid Arthritis October 2018

Join eNewsletter

I actually have no idea what kind of testing they did, other than a blood test. I've been so frustrated with this rash that at times I just feel like giving up and just dealing with it because no one can give any answer. But it sounds like I need to go back to the gastro dr.  Thanks for everyone's input!

Join eNewsletter