Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Strunk15

Blood Test Results

Rate this topic

Hi everyone, I have been doing tons of reading to try to figure these numbers out, but am still confused, so thought I would turn to those of you who have been through this before.  I had a blood panel done, and the results came back:

• Endomysial AB IGA- negative
  • Gliadin AB IGA- Negative:12 (flag reference being 0 - 15)
  • Anit-Gliadin IGG AB- Positive: 72.5 (flag reference being 0-15)
  • t-Transglutaminase IGG- Positive: 121.2 (flag reference range being 0-15)
  • t-Transglutaminase IgA- Negative: 12.5 (flag reference range being 0-15)
  • IGA- 158 (flag reference range 70-400)

From what I have read, I feel as if the results would indicate I do not have Celiac Disease, because I am not positive for IGA, but I don't seem to be deficient in it either.  Am I reading that totally wrong?  My PCP seemed confused by the numbers, but said that since the IGGs were high, it was indicative I had some sort of problem with gluten, and should therefore get an endoscopy.  I then went to the GI, who said we should go ahead with the endoscopy, but I still didn't get a sense from him as to if it was very necessary or if he was just going along with it because I was referred.  He didn't really explain what the lab results meant at all.

Based on the lab results, does anyone have a sense of if it makes sense to go through with an endoscopy?

Thank you so very much for any assistance!  I am driving myself crazy trying to figure this out!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I think then answer is yes.  I am no expert, but your doctors are following protocol per the GI Association.  Get a positive, next step biopsies.  I personally tested positive only to the DGP IGA but negative on the rest (same for follow-up testing, so it was not a fluke), yet I had a Marsh Stage IIIB.  I would get the biopsies.  Oh, did I mention that I had anemia and no tummy issues at the time of my diagnosis?  Believe me I was shocked!  I just went in for a GI consult for a colonoscopy because I joined the 50's club!  ?

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Hi. I was just diagnosed with Celiac's after the doctor did an endoscopy. Now to confirm my diagnosis, I have to do a colonoscopy to get a biopsy of the small intestine to confirm Celiac's, so what I would suggest is forget the endoscopy because they can't get to you small intestine from there. Do a colonoscopy. I recommend it. I'm doing mine soon to confirm, and from what I read online, that's how one can know for sure is through a biopsy. Blood tests aren't fool proof. Good luck. 

Join eNewsletter

Forgot this link stating it is possible to have celiac disease with a positive IGG and not be IGA deficient.  

http://www.mayomedicallaboratories.com/test-catalog/Clinical+and+Interpretive/83671

Anemia -- Resolved

Diabetes -- January 2014

Join eNewsletter

1 hour ago, bookbeast said:

Hi. I was just diagnosed with Celiac's after the doctor did an endoscopy. Now to confirm my diagnosis, I have to do a colonoscopy to get a biopsy of the small intestine to confirm Celiac's, so what I would suggest is forget the endoscopy because they can't get to you small intestine from there. Do a colonoscopy. I recommend it. I'm doing mine soon to confirm, and from what I read online, that's how one can know for sure is through a biopsy. Blood tests aren't fool proof. Good luck. 

No, the endoscopy (obtaining four to six  tissue samples) is the gold standard per most medical research (University of Chicago's Celiac Website is one source).  Your doctor may want to check out yor colon (e.g. Rule out Chrohns) and it is possible to biopsy the lower end of the small Intestine.  

Edited by cyclinglady
More info.

Anemia -- Resolved

Diabetes -- January 2014

Join eNewsletter

Thank you for the info!  I also don't really have stomach symptoms.  My doctor just tested me due to me having extreme tiredness.  Now looking at the list of symptoms, I also see I have some other things that can indicate celiac, such as I was extremely short and had muscle weakness as a child.  I also have brain fog, etc.

Edited by Strunk15

Join eNewsletter