Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

beccibaxter

What does this all mean?

Rate this topic

Hi all i am new here and desperate for some help!

About five months ago my 13 year old Daughter started complaining of chronic pain in her upper, middle and lower left abdomen.

She also complains of the pain going into her back and feeling sick immediately after eating. She has been so very poorly with it. The Doctor thought she maybe had celiacs. So he took some blood on the 11th of November 2015 and after much messing about, today i (finally) was told the following by his receptionist.

They have made her an appointment to see the Doctor on Monday next week. She said her IGA came back at 1.01 and that the IGA to tissue trans is negative.

Unfortunately she did not know what any of that meant and said she could not go and ask the Doctor as he was busy.

What does any of that mean please?

I live in the UK and so i do not know if we evaluate results the same way as they do in the USA or not. I am so confused and so upset at seeing my Daughter in so much pain for so long.

We have been back and forwards to the Doctor and to hospital (when the pain has been unbearable) and all we get told is that they cannot do anything until they know what her test results are. So basically they have left her for months in pain.

She has had so much time off school and been so poorly that she has lost a lot of friends. Her once sunny personality is now gone and she just spends most of her time in her room upset and crying due to the pain.

Any help at all in helping me understand what these results mean would be so appreciated.

Please help me!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

From what you posted it looks like you daughter tested negative to the TTG Iga test, but I am not sure if she is IGA deficient which would make the test invalid.  Can you get copies of the lab test and include the lab ranges (lab ranges vary) and post?    I would also see if you can get the complete celiac panel.  The TTG test is the "go to" screening test for celiac disease in both the UK and US.  It is good but it does not catch all celiacs.  I, personally do not test positive to the TTg.  Instead, the DGP test is best for me and per my research for toddlers, but I am certainly not a toddler!  .  Here is the complete test:

-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA and (tTG) IgG
-Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP) IgA and (DGP) IgG
-EMA IgA 
-total serum IgA and IgG (control test)
-AGA IGA and AGA IgG - older and less reliable tests largely replace by the DGP tests

-endoscopic biopsy - make sure at least 6 samples are taken

VERY IMPORTANT:  Keep eating gluten daily until ALL testing is complete or the tests can be inaccurate.  

(Source: NVSMOM -- ?)

Have they checked anything else, like gallbladder?   Mine started acting up at age 16.  It is a family curse!

Welcome to the forum!  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Oh, my heart goes out to you and your daughter.   My daughter is turning 15 soon.  I can not imagine her being in so much pain!  ?. Please keep advocating for her, Mom!  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

It's terrible that you are left hanging like this! I'm so sorry.

Can you get to the doctors office & get a copy of the of the test results? If you can, then you could post them here & we have people who can interpret them for you.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Reynaud's October 2018

Rheumatoid Arthritis October 2018

Join eNewsletter