This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten withdrawal? Detox?

heyitsmissa

heyitsmissa Rookie

So... lately my nerves are really, really short. With just about everyone, but especially my husband and my 11-month-old puppy. (They live with me, soo...) 

I'm snappy about everything. Rude. Mean. Snippy! 

Also, I couldn't fall asleep until 5:30 this morning (got in bed at 10pm)... normal? Is basically anything normal during this process???

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

squirmingitch Veteran

Gluten withdrawal strikes again. Snappy, rude, snippy & just plain mean can also be a sign of glutening down the road after you've been gluten-free a while & get cc'd. Just so you know. 

heyitsmissa Rookie

This is so much fun! ?

squirmingitch Veteran

How long now have you been gluten-free? How long have you been experiencing withdrawal?

One positive thing you can do is explain to your hubby about gluten withdrawal and how it is affecting you & causing this abnormal "bad mood". Your hubby will be able to understand this, unfortunately your puppy doesn't know why you've suddenly developed a hair trigger but puppies rebound. Give yourself credit for recognizing you're in a foul mood. Now just try to remember that when the "nasties" are upon you and you feel like blowing someones head off. Take a step back and more than 1 deep breath and don't say whatever it was you were going to snap about. I know it's not easy; it's almost as if you're possessed or something but I really did find that just being aware of it helped mediate it. Apologize to the hubby & kiss the puppy. I hope tonight you get some much needed restorative sleep.

I think on average most people don't go through the withdrawal for more than a month. 

{{{HUGS}}}} and hang in there.

cyclinglady Grand Master
3 hours ago, squirmingitch said:

Gluten withdrawal strikes again. Snappy, rude, snippy & just plain mean can also be a sign of glutening down the road after you've been gluten-free a while & get cc'd. Just so you know. 

Throw in a little perimenopausal or thyroid issues on top of celiac-related issues and you can get really grumpy!  :lol:

cyclinglady Grand Master
3 hours ago, heyitsmissa said:

This is so much fun! ?

It will get better!  :)

heyitsmissa Rookie
11 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

Throw in a little perimenopausal or thyroid issues on top of celiac-related issues and you can get really grumpy!  :lol:

I think I actually might have thyroid issues. My TSH values have been steadily dropping with random upward swings, but now they're almost to the very low end of "normal." That's being looked at in 2 weeks. Would thyroid issues make this worse?!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

icelandgirl Proficient

Thyroid issues can make everything worse!  Have you been tested for Hashimotos?   If not, you should request that from sure.  When my thyroid is unstable or undertreated I feel absolutely awful.

cyclinglady Grand Master
3 hours ago, heyitsmissa said:

I think I actually might have thyroid issues. My TSH values have been steadily dropping with random upward swings, but now they're almost to the very low end of "normal." That's being looked at in 2 weeks. Would thyroid issues make this worse?!

Yes!  Ask your doctor to order a complete thyroid panel and be sure that he includes thyroid antibodies too.  You can have more than one autoimmune disorder.  Sad, but true!  :(

heyitsmissa Rookie
54 minutes ago, cyclinglady said:

Yes!  Ask your doctor to order a complete thyroid panel and be sure that he includes thyroid antibodies too.  You can have more than one autoimmune disorder.  Sad, but true!  :(

I'm going to provide my TSH values that I have available to me-- 

November 23, 2011 - 4.010 with a reference range of .450-4.500 (high-end of normal? or just normal?)

July 3, 2012 - 1.3 with reference range of .450-4.500 (this seems like a huge drop to me in just 7 months)

August 14, 2012 - 1.47 with reference range of .450-4.500

February 8, 2013 - 1.380 with reference range of .450-4.500

October 8, 2013 - 1.630 with reference range of .450-4.500

September 22, 2014 - 2.160 with reference range of .450-4.500

August 24, 2015 - 1.230 with reference range of .450-4.500

November 10, 2015 - .590 with reference range of .350-5.500

At the very least, that's a heck of a swing from 2011 to now, right? 

icelandgirl Proficient
15 minutes ago, heyitsmissa said:

I'm going to provide my TSH values that I have available to me-- 

November 23, 2011 - 4.010 with a reference range of .450-4.500 (high-end of normal? or just normal?)

July 3, 2012 - 1.3 with reference range of .450-4.500 (this seems like a huge drop to me in just 7 months)

August 14, 2012 - 1.47 with reference range of .450-4.500

February 8, 2013 - 1.380 with reference range of .450-4.500

October 8, 2013 - 1.630 with reference range of .450-4.500

September 22, 2014 - 2.160 with reference range of .450-4.500

August 24, 2015 - 1.230 with reference range of .450-4.500

November 10, 2015 - .590 with reference range of .350-5.500

At the very least, that's a heck of a swing from 2011 to now, right? 

Hi Itsmissa,

Have you ever had a full thyroid panel?  It would include TSH, Free T3, Free T4, TPOAb and TgAb.   If you haven't, make sure you ask for that as well.  Many people on this site have Hashis in addition to celiac. 

As far as a big swing, with autoimmune thyroid disease a lot of swings can happen.  I had recently a 1 year period where I went between .5 and 13+.  It was awful. I've been stable now for 7 months and it certainly feels better.  

I hope you get something figured out.

heyitsmissa Rookie
8 minutes ago, icelandgirl said:

Hi Itsmissa,

Have you ever had a full thyroid panel?  It would include TSH, Free T3, Free T4, TPOAb and TgAb.   If you haven't, make sure you ask for that as well.  Many people on this site have Hashis in addition to celiac. 

As far as a big swing, with autoimmune thyroid disease a lot of swings can happen.  I had recently a 1 year period where I went between .5 and 13+.  It was awful. I've been stable now for 7 months and it certainly feels better.  

I hope you get something figured out.

I haven't had a full thyroid panel, I think because my values are always in the normal range. But my new rheumatologist is likely willing to at least entertain the thought. I'm bringing all of this history to him in 2 weeks for my follow up. He diagnosed me with Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease in November, which is when I saw the marked TSH drop. Will the gluten free diet help the Hashis, if I have that? Or will I need separate treatment? 

Thank you for your response! 

heyitsmissa Rookie

Oh! I do have one T4 value. 

September 22, 2014 

TSH was 2.160 on reference range of .450-4.500 

T4 was 10.8 on reference range of 4.5-12 

Oddly, my iron was high on that day also. 165 on reference of 35-155. Just found out a couple months ago my iron and ferritin were totally depleted. So I found the high iron really weird. 

Joe Hoffman Rookie

As frustrated as you are with having to go through this,,, I guarantee your husband is ten times more frustrated.

I wasn’t diagnosed with celiac disease until I was 54, over ten years ago. The first two years were HELL, but after my intestines healed things started getting a whole lot better.

Through the entire process my wife was a SAINT from heaven,,, but then again that is why I married her. I would never have married a woman that was rude, mean and snippy like you described above. No matter what you are going through there is absolutely no excuse to act like that.

I too had the sleep issues,,, or should I say lack of sleep issues,,, but for me the solution was simple,,,,, SEX.  Just before trying to go to sleep have sex. For the first six months my wife and I went at it like rabbits. We had more sex during those six months than in the previous five years. Afterward I slept like a new born baby. Try being nice to your husband instead of being rude, mean and snippy,,, and who knows maybe your sleep problem will disappear.

As for your little puppy,,, how in the world could you possibly be mean and rude to a little puppy that does nothing but love you unconditionally. In the scheme of things having Celiac Disease is a piece of cake compared to having some other health problems like cancer, heart disease and diabetes to name a few. If you continue to be rude, mean and snippy to your husband and puppy,,, God can always give you something else to really make you b%$@# and be mean about.

Just an opinion from an old man that has been through Holy Hell in his 65 years, yet still treats his loved ones and friends with nothing but love and respect.

I haven't been on Celiac.com in years because I found it to be too depressing. Oh, I loved it at first trying to figure out what the hell was going on from people who had been there and done that,,, but after about six months it became depressing reading all the "junk" from would be amateur doctors. For God's sake young lady don't take any medical advice from non medical professionals who just happen to have a computer, keyboard, and a membership to celiac.com.

By the way,,, I am retired, but I run a foundation that gives away millions of sports cards to sick kids and kids in hospitals. A grandfather wrote me about how five of his seven grandchildren have Celiac Disease. I put a nice letter in with the cards I was sending him telling him about what I went through before I was finally diagnosed with celiac disease. The next morning (yesterday) I saw Celiac.com sent me another email, but instead of just moving it to spam like all the others over the past five years I opened this one and there was you post. At first I laughed, but then I thought back to what I went through when I was first diagnosed, so I decided to respond to your post.

I'm a good guy, with a HUGE heart, but sometimes youngsters need a good swift kick in the butt. I hope the next thing you do is apologize to your husband and puppy,,, and realize their world's have been turned upside down too!!!

To me celiac disease is a piece of cake compared to the other things I have had to endure.

icelandgirl Proficient

Hi heyitsmissa,

I've read that going gluten free can help thyroid issues, but haven't experienced it myself.  It's fairly common in people with celiac to have thyroid issues as well, so do request the tests from your Dr and see how they come out.

Hope you're feeling better! 

squirmingitch Veteran
On 2/18/2016 at 7:11 AM, Joe Hoffman said:

As frustrated as you are with having to go through this,,, I guarantee your husband is ten times more frustrated.

I wasn’t diagnosed with celiac disease until I was 54, over ten years ago. The first two years were HELL, but after my intestines healed things started getting a whole lot better.

Through the entire process my wife was a SAINT from heaven,,, but then again that is why I married her. I would never have married a woman that was rude, mean and snippy like you described above. No matter what you are going through there is absolutely no excuse to act like that.

I too had the sleep issues,,, or should I say lack of sleep issues,,, but for me the solution was simple,,,,, SEX.  Just before trying to go to sleep have sex. For the first six months my wife and I went at it like rabbits. We had more sex during those six months than in the previous five years. Afterward I slept like a new born baby. Try being nice to your husband instead of being rude, mean and snippy,,, and who knows maybe your sleep problem will disappear.

As for your little puppy,,, how in the world could you possibly be mean and rude to a little puppy that does nothing but love you unconditionally. In the scheme of things having Celiac Disease is a piece of cake compared to having some other health problems like cancer, heart disease and diabetes to name a few. If you continue to be rude, mean and snippy to your husband and puppy,,, God can always give you something else to really make you b%$@# and be mean about.

Just an opinion from an old man that has been through Holy Hell in his 65 years, yet still treats his loved ones and friends with nothing but love and respect.

I haven't been on Celiac.com in years because I found it to be too depressing. Oh, I loved it at first trying to figure out what the hell was going on from people who had been there and done that,,, but after about six months it became depressing reading all the "junk" from would be amateur doctors. For God's sake young lady don't take any medical advice from non medical professionals who just happen to have a computer, keyboard, and a membership to celiac.com.

By the way,,, I am retired, but I run a foundation that gives away millions of sports cards to sick kids and kids in hospitals. A grandfather wrote me about how five of his seven grandchildren have Celiac Disease. I put a nice letter in with the cards I was sending him telling him about what I went through before I was finally diagnosed with celiac disease. The next morning (yesterday) I saw Celiac.com sent me another email, but instead of just moving it to spam like all the others over the past five years I opened this one and there was you post. At first I laughed, but then I thought back to what I went through when I was first diagnosed, so I decided to respond to your post.

I'm a good guy, with a HUGE heart, but sometimes youngsters need a good swift kick in the butt. I hope the next thing you do is apologize to your husband and puppy,,, and realize their world's have been turned upside down too!!!

To me celiac disease is a piece of cake compared to the other things I have had to endure.

So when do they measure you for your halo?

• 1 month later...
heyitsmissa Rookie
On 2/17/2016 at 9:11 AM, Joe Hoffman said:

I don't even know where to begin on this. You've gathered quite a bit of information from me saying a very short sentence about being short and snippy with a dog and my husband. 

As for sex, not that it's ANY of your business, but celiac has my pelvis so inflamed that sex is often very painful for me. 

As for "youngsters needing a swift kick in the butt," that's not what you provided. You provided a holier than thou attitude with absolutely no help or answer to what I originally asked. By the way, as a fellow Christian, this attitude is what pushes people away from Christianity. But that's not what this forum is about so I'll leave it at that. 

As for treating people with love and respect, you have no clue how I treat people on a day-to-day basis. You have one snapshot. One sentence. In a time of severe stress, pain, and misery. 

You may have a very big heart, but you're reminding me of the pharisees with your need to "correct" my behavior. 

heyitsmissa Rookie
On 2/18/2016 at 7:56 PM, squirmingitch said:

So when do they measure you for your halo?

Seriously! I'm glad I didn't see this until a month later, when the frustration and snippiness had gone away. 

Archived