• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

I've been mostly wheat/gluten free for about 9-1/2 years now, as well as dairy-free, egg-free and soy-free. I have never had any testing done for celiac disease, but am starting to wonder if I am more than just "allergic" to gluten. I have not been good about eliminating all the "hidden" glutens lurking around and every once in a while slip up and eat a spelt pancake or something. I never have immediate problems, but enough to tell me that it's a mistake.

I am REALLY tired of going to doctors and being tested for stuff. I've had almost 2 years of pretty good health (hmmm, corresponding to being more careful about gluten) and have enjoyed no blood tests for anything. I'm surprised my naturopath hasn't recommended being tested for celiac disease, although I think she figures I already don't eat gluten, so it's not a problem.

My question is, do I have to eat a bunch of gluten for all the tests to be accurate? I don't know if I could handle that. I would almost rather assume that I have celiac disease and do a better job monitoring my diet. On the other hand, it would be nice to know for sure so I don't deprive myself uneccessarily.

Thanks for the help.

Liz

When you slip up, you notice you don't feel well?? So why try and prove it with a test? You don't even want to hear that you have to eat lots of gluten prior to testing...sooooo......

Hey, you can't eat gluten. :P Now that you've found this site, work on being 100% gluten free and see how that makes you feel!

Yes, you need to be on gluten for tests to be accurate. They usually say you need to eat equal to 2-3 pieces of bread a day for 3 months prior.

However, if you have been gluten free for so long why are you trying to get tested now? Are you still sick? If you are then maybe you need to look at if any gluten is slipping in through products like makeups or anything. Getting tested for celiac while being gluten free is worthless though.

Have you got intolerance and allergy testing? There may be something else contributing if you have been 100% gluten free and that could not be it.

Thanks for your responses. I had food allergy testing done several years ago, which is why I am gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and dairy-free. I KNOW that I need to avoid all these things. I just wonder sometimes if it's all in my head that I have to be super careful, especially with gluten. Those of you with spouse/children (I have 4) who can eat anything know how hard it can be to cook separately. I make mostly gluten free everything for all of us, even though it's more expensive, just because I don't want to have to cook 2 separate meals all the time.

The thought of having to eat gluten for 3 months is enough to make me forget about the idea of testing. I'm not "sick" right now, but I have a kidney disease that is in remission (going on 2 years now) and I have psoriasis that I can't seem to control unless I completely fast for long periods or take prednisone.

I think I'll just stick to gluten-free and be more diligent.

Liz

Simply put, gluten intolerance means absolutely zero gluten in your diet. Being just sorta gluten-free isn't enough. An allergy is a different thing altogether.

Heck, anyone who goes gluten-free knows how tough it is, but at the same time knows how bad they felt beforehand. I'll never touch the stuff again - NEVER!

Having said that, I just found out my all natural shampoo has barley malt and wheat something-or-other in it! I'm so disappointed. I really liked that stuff, but now I have to switch :( Maybe that's what has been giving me certain mysterious reactions, which I've been unable to pinpoint.

The barley malt ingred. in your shampoo can cause you to have symptoms! Early on in my quest to be completely gluten-free, I was still getting D every afternoon after feeling ok when I woke up. Anyway, I read that the hair gel I was using had wheat in it. I threw it away, along with most of what I had under the sink (wheat in almost everything!!!) That did the trick. I'm as careful with products as I am with my food.