Rate this topic

Hi,

Just wondering people's opinions on b12 supplements. Ive currently had a blood test that shows I have a severe deficiency in vitamin D, I'm also anaemic and have very very low ferritin levels. I've also had borderline celiac test results however they forgot to check my b12 levels (very annoying)

Im just wondering if anyone has been taking vitamin b12 supplements and their experience? As im thinking about getting some.

No, I would not recommend taking B-12 unless you are deficient based on lab results.  There are several types of anemia.  The low iron stores that you have (ferritin) appears that you have iron-deficiency anemia.  But you could have a different anemia on top of that one (I have Thalassemia which is genetic and diet or supplements are never going to change that).  Email your doctor and ask to be tested for B-12 and folate.   

Do research about B-12.  

https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000574.htm

My levels were sky high (over 2,000 and the top of the lab range is 900).  I was not taking any supplements.  Folate levels are crazy high too.  Of course, I went to Dr. Google and found that various types of cancer are common with such high results.  But I do not have cancer.  My doctor said my body would eliminate any excess but she might be wrong.   I looked to my diet.  I had been drinking soymilk for decades and it is supplemented with B-12 (cobalamin) because many vegans are deficient because of their diets.  I am a meat eater so it did not apply to me and good luck trying to find soymilk that does not have it (possible but the choices are few).  I stopped consuming any processed  foods that had b-12 added and my blood levels dropped a bit.  So, it appears that I do not process the cheap version of b-12.  If I were deficient, I would need to add a sub-lingual b-12 that is methylated (is that a real word?) (Methylcobalamin).  Same goes for my folate levels.  

I work at just eating a whole foods diet (lots of variety) and skip supplements.  

Research Vitamin D.  Most folks are deficient thanks to sunscreen.  So, I strive for balance.  I get my dose of sun and worry less about adding vitamin D which is now normal after being gluten free for three years.  But I live in Sunny California and am outside a lot!  I still wear sunscreen but prefer to cover up and use the sunscreen when I go on long rides, etc.  I might rethink Vitamin D if I were to live in Canada.  

2 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

No, I would not recommend taking B-12 unless you are deficient based on lab results.  There are several types of anemia.  The low iron stores that you have (ferritin) appears that you have iron-deficiency anemia.  But you could have a different anemia on top of that one (I have Thalassemia which is genetic and diet or supplements are never going to change that).  Email your doctor and ask to be tested for B-12 and folate.   

Do research about B-12.  

https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000574.htm

My levels were sky high (over 2,000 and the top of the lab range is 900).  I was not taking any supplements.  Folate levels are crazy high too.  Of course, I went to Dr. Google and found that various types of cancer are common with such high results.  But I do not have cancer.  My doctor said my body would eliminate any excess but she might be wrong.   I looked to my diet.  I had been drinking soymilk for decades and it is supplemented with B-12 (cobalamin) because many vegans are deficient because of their diets.  I am a meat eater so it did not apply to me and good luck trying to find soymilk that does not have it (possible but the choices are few).  I stopped consuming any processed  foods that had b-12 added and my blood levels dropped a bit.  So, it appears that I do not process the cheap version of b-12.  If I were deficient, I would need to add a sub-lingual b-12 that is methylated (is that a real word?) (Methylcobalamin).  Same goes for my folate levels.  

I work at just eating a whole foods diet (lots of variety) and skip supplements.  

Research Vitamin D.  Most folks are deficient thanks to sunscreen.  So, I strive for balance.  I get my dose of sun and worry less about adding vitamin D which is now normal after being gluten free for three years.  But I live in Sunny California and am outside a lot!  I still wear sunscreen but prefer to cover up and use the sunscreen when I go on long rides, etc.  I might rethink Vitamin D if I were to live in Canada.  

That's interesting about the b12. I was concerned about my level because it was over 900- but not by much. I thought it very odd, since I never take any b12 supplements and had been very ill the whole year before the blood test. My folate levels were a little high too- yet I'm low in calcium, iron and vitamin D.