This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Healing badly

MonaDan

MonaDan Rookie

Hi everyone.

Just looking for a bit of advice/support, really.

I was diagnosed a ceoliac around late April. I can't eat gluten, dairy, or soya. I'm also reacting to corn, which I found out the hard way. Anyway, I've had some slip-ups of cc which have been painful. I know this sets me back a lot. Aside from my slipups, I've been eating healthily - fruit, veg, fish, etc. No processed food apart from the gluten free bread (Warburton's Bakehouse), my butter substitute spread, and now and again a slice of vitalife cheese.

However, I'm still getting days where I feel so ill. I've been bloated and a bit constipated recently which are both big signs for me, yet can't figure it out. I work in a cafe but wear gloves in the kitchen and I'm very careful.

I have gluten-free body products and my washing up liquid is safe. Is this all normal? Today my tummy has been bloated and hard. I just can't figure it out. Does this happen to us all, or am I being inadvertently glutened?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Two months is not long enough to heal.  Give yourself more time.  The learning curve is steep for the gluten-free diet.  Check out our Newbie 101 thread under the "Coping" section.    It takes most of us a year or longer to heal.  Remember, this is an autoimmune disorder.  A flare-up triggered by gluten can last for weeks or months.  

Do they bake in your cafe?  Wheat Flour can stay airborne for a while and it can be swallowed.  Is that bread free of Xanthan Gum? I have an intolerance to that and at first thought I was getting glutened.  

I wish you well!  

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Mona,

It is pretty early in your recovery, so yeah, things can be kind of rough for a while.  That doesn't mean you shouldn't try and identify problem foods though.  If I was you, I'd start by eliminating the vitalife cheese and Wharburton's bread, both are processed foods.  The other thing is to be sure you wash or use clean silverware and plates etc for your meals.  Gluten contamination is easy to avoid by just rinsing things quickly in running water.

Carbs and sugar are not your friend during the healing process.  They feed bacteria and cause gas and bloating.  So try and avoid them if possible.  Our guts are damaged and that screws up the gut flora.  Healing in the gut will help restore a balance but it takes time.  Eating a clean, whole foods diet is important and helpful to healing.  Simple foods with minimal ingredients are good.  It's not about having an exciting meal, but rather a safe meal.  Remember, you are on a medical diet and that means you can't eat like other people.  I am sure some will disagree as there are many gluten-free foods available nowadays.  But mostly you should avoid those while you are healing.  They are usually heavy on carbs and calories and low on nutrients.  Just the opposite of what you need to heal.

Try to concentrate on getting lots of protein to help the healing.  Meats, veggies (well cooked), nuts, fruits, eggs are good.  Whole foods should be the main part of your diet every day.

All that being said though, it's still a recovery process, and it can take months to a year or more to feel completely well.

Gemini Experienced

I have had Warburton's bread when on vacation in the UK and it is delicious!  Their wraps are the best I have ever had anywhere.  I do not have a problem with their products but I have been diagnosed for 11 years now. I think they are a dedicated facility, if I remember correctly.  You have quite a few intolerances right now so that probably plays into it more than not being able to handle bread.  I handled bread well right away but only have trouble with gluten and dairy.  I am sure that as a few more months go by, you will feel better. It can be slow but it definitely takes more than a couple of months.  Have you tried using digestive enzymes?  Many docs recommend them for at least a year in the beginning. They can really help with breaking down food, which may be difficult for you right now.

• 2 weeks later...
vkral Newbie

I'm having a very similar experience, including the timing.

The combination of how long it takes to feel better and how easy it is to make dietary errors is a real double-whammy. It's soooo frustrating.

Timea Newbie

Dear Everybody,

I'm Tímea from Hungary, Europe. Why im here is, that my Dad (63 years old) is very sick and depressed etc....In hungary, people dont talk about celiac and doctors dont know about it nothing. He went to 2 naturopaths and they said, the problem is the gluten and laktose, but its very serious. 

My Dad's health problem started 7 years ago, he went to many doctors, got a lot of pills, (antibiotics, antidepressants) and in the end they said he has problem in his head, means: We cant help. So, he started the very strickt diet (he is living alone, cooks, etc...) in february but until now he didint feel better. Im the only one in the family, who read about it and try to find a solution because now he does not want to live anymore and im afraid very much. 

His main problems are: muscle spasm, burning feet, burning sensation on the skin and burning sensation on the reproductives too. And he feels worse now then in february. for ex.: 1 mont ago when he is peeing, it hurts. And the worst position is the sitting, in the car. He cant sit. when he is on the bed, its better. And of course he lost weight. So please, if someone has an idea whats going on and when will he feel better, please write me. And i also would like to ask if the malabsorption starts working, what he will feel first? (we are waiting for the good signs)

Thank you very much,

Tímea

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Nicole K
    Newest Member
    Nicole K
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Denise I
      I am looking to find a Celiac Dietician who is affiliated with the Celiac Disease Foundation who I can set up an appointment with.  Can you possibly give some guidance on this?  Thank you!
    • Posterboy
      Nacina, Knitty Kitty has given you good advice. But I would say/add find a Fat Soluble B-1 like Benfotiamine for best results.  The kind found in most Multivitamins have a very low absorption rate. This article shows how taking a Fat Soluble B-1 can effectively help absorption by 6x to7x times. https://www.naturalmedicinejournal.com/journal/thiamine-deficiency-and-diabetic-polyneuropathy quoting from the article.... "The group ingesting benfotiamine had maximum plasma thiamine levels that were 6.7 times higher than the group ingesting thiamine mononitrate.32" Also, frequency is much more important than amount when it comes to B-Vitamin. These are best taken with meals because they provide the fat for better absorption. You will know your B-Vitamin is working properly when your urine becomes bright yellow all the time. This may take two or three months to achieve this.......maybe even longer depending on how low he/you are. The Yellow color is from excess Riboflavin bypassing the Kidneys....... Don't stop them until when 2x a day with meals they start producing a bright yellow urine with in 2 or 3 hours after the ingesting the B-Complex...... You will be able to see the color of your urine change as the hours go by and bounce back up after you take them in the evening. When this happens quickly......you are now bypassing all the Riboflavin that is in the supplement. The body won't absorb more than it needs! This can be taken as a "proxy" for your other B-Vitamin levels (if taken a B-Complex) ...... at least at a quick and dirty level......this will only be so for the B-1 Thiamine levels if you are taking the Fat Soluble forms with the Magnesium as Knitty Kitty mentioned. Magnesium is a Co-Factor is a Co-factor for both Thiamine and Vitamin D and your sons levels won't improve unless he also takes Magnesium with his Thiamine and B-Complex. You will notice his energy levels really pick up.  His sleeping will improve and his muscle cramps will get better from the Magnesium! Here is nice blog post that can help you Thiamine and it's many benefits. I hope this is helpful but it is not medical advice God speed on your son's continued journey I used to be him. There is hope! 2 Tim 2:7 “Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things” this included. Posterboy by the grace of God,  
    • trents
      I'll answer your second question first. The single best antibody test for monitoring celiac blood antibody levels is the tTG-IGA and it is very cost effective. For this reason, it is the most popular and often the only test ordered by physicians when checking for celiac disease. There are some people who actually do have celiac disease who will score negatives on this test anyway because of anomalies in their immune system but your wife is not one of them. So for her, the tTG-IGA should be sufficient. It is highly sensitive and highly specific for celiac disease. If your wife gets serious about eating gluten free and stays on a gluten free diet for the duration, she should experience healing in her villous lining, normalization in her antibody numbers and avoid reaching a celiac health crisis tipping point. I am attaching an article that will provide guidance for getting serious about gluten free living. It really is an advantage if all wheat products are taken out of the house and other household members adopt gluten free eating in order to avoid cross contamination and mistakes.  
    • Anmol
      Thanks this is helpful. Couple of follow -ups- that critical point till it stays silent is age dependent or dependent on continuing to eat gluten. In other words if she is on gluten-free diet can she stay on silent celiac disease forever?    what are the most cost effective yet efficient test to track the inflammation/antibodies and see if gluten-free is working . 
    • trents
      Welcome to the community forum, @Anmol! There are a number of blood antibody tests that can be administered when diagnosing celiac disease and it is normal that not all of them will be positive. Three out of four that were run for you were positive. It looks pretty conclusive that you have celiac disease. Many physicians will only run the tTG-IGA test so I applaud your doctor for being so thorough. Note, the Immunoglobulin A is not a test for celiac disease per se but a measure of total IGA antibody levels in your blood. If this number is low it can cause false negatives in the individual IGA-based celiac antibody tests. There are many celiacs who are asymptomatic when consuming gluten, at least until damage to the villous lining of the small bowel progresses to a certain critical point. I was one of them. We call them "silent" celiacs".  Unfortunately, being asymptomatic does not equate to no damage being done to the villous lining of the small bowel. No, the fact that your wife is asymptomatic should not be viewed as a license to not practice strict gluten free eating. She is damaging her health by doing so and the continuing high antibody test scores are proof of that. The antibodies are produced by inflammation in the small bowel lining and over time this inflammation destroys the villous lining. Continuing to disregard this will catch up to her. While it may be true that a little gluten does less harm to the villous lining than a lot, why would you even want to tolerate any harm at all to it? Being a "silent" celiac is both a blessing and a curse. It's a blessing in the sense of being able to endure some cross contamination in social settings without embarrassing repercussions. It's a curse in that it slows down the learning curve of avoiding foods where gluten is not an obvious ingredient, yet still may be doing damage to the villous lining of the small bowel. GliadinX is helpful to many celiacs in avoiding illness from cross contamination when eating out but it is not effective when consuming larger amounts of gluten. It was never intended for that purpose. Eating out is the number one sabotager of gluten free eating. You have no control of how food is prepared and handled in restaurant kitchens.