This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pregnancy Update, Ladies?

Guest imsohungry

Guest imsohungry

Hey ladies! I just wanted to check in on everyone. Any updates?

I'll go first ;)

IT'S A BOY! :D We found out at my ultrasound about a week ago. He appears to be healthy and is very active. I haven't felt him move yet and I'm not really showing, but my OB says that this is normal. The nausea has passed and I'm FINALLY getting to enjoy being pregnant! :PB) -Julie

O.k....who's next?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

A little baby boy!

Roxyk Newbie

Congrats on your BOY!!! We chose not to find out. I am 25weeks now & feeling great. I'm getting BIG!! And it's hard having a craving for chocolate cake with frosting at midnight & no gluten free cake in the house! :( Oh well, it helps keep the weight gain in check.

Guest imsohungry

Thanks ladies for the congrats!

Roxy, I admire your patience to wait to find out. I was about to bust to know... :rolleyes: (there is no way I could hold out through the entire pregnancy with the option-to-know available). Good for you! 25 weeks...you're entering your third trimester. What an accomplishment! B)

Speaking of chocolate cake...I totally understand. I sent my hubby to the convenience store the other night after dark to get me a candy bar :ph34r::P He was so tired that he almost left in his boxers! :D

Ahhh...the joys (and cravings) of pregnancy. Take care of yourself. -Julie ;)

Guest gfinnebraska

Congrats on your boy!! Back in "my day" there was not an option of finding out... so we waited! As the mother of 2 boys (19 & 20 now) I can tell you that you have many years of joy ahead!!! :)

Guest imsohungry

Thank you Kimberly! :D

I had always pictured myself having a little girl (before I got pregnant), but once I became pregnant I thought the baby was a boy from the beginning.

Everyone jokes that I am craving "manly foods." (If there is such a thing) :rolleyes:

I haven't craved any fruit or sweets...I've craved things like: Nachos loaded with cheese, meat, and jalapenos; big chunks of red meat (and I usually don't like red meat much); large orders of hot buffalo wings, etc.

Everyone just laughs...and says, "yep, she's pregnant alright." :blink:

Every time I snap at my hubby or act "witchy" I just say "it's all this testosterone in me from the baby." :P

I'm looking forward to meeting my little boy! -Julie ;)

cgilsing Enthusiast

Julie -

Congrats on your little boy news!! Now you can start all the fun clothes shopping!! How many weeks are you? I'm 13 weeks and I can't find out the sex untill I'm 19 weeks. I want to know now! :P So, do you have any little boy names picked out yet?

I'm glad to hear you are feeling better too! I went through a couple of really bad weeks myself. I now know my toilet better than I ever wanted to! I'm starting to feel MUCH better too!

I have been craving sour foods...I drink limeaide and eat fresh pineapple all day...hehe...is that a girly or a manly food???

Congrats again! Let us know how everything is going!

Christine

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest imsohungry
Julie -

Congrats on your little boy news!! Now you can start all the fun clothes shopping!! How many weeks are you? I'm 13 weeks and I can't find out the sex untill I'm 19 weeks. I want to know now! :P So, do you have any little boy names picked out yet?

I'm glad to hear you are feeling better too! I went through a couple of really bad weeks myself. I now know my toilet better than I ever wanted to! I'm starting to feel MUCH better too!

I have been craving sour foods...I drink limeaide and eat fresh pineapple all day...hehe...is that a girly or a manly food???

Congrats again! Let us know how everything is going!

Christine

Hey Christine,

I'm so glad to hear that you are feeling better! :) You are entering your second trimester (that is when my stomach "calmed down" too). I'm LOL because I feel exactly like you...I'm MUCH closer with my toilet than I ever wanted to be (and the toilet at work) :rolleyes: If I wasn't sitting on it, I had my "head in it" (so to speak) heaving.

I'm 18 weeks along now...the baby name thing is a debate at my house :rolleyes: My hubby's tastes differ from mine...I think we have compromised on Eli or Joshua Eli. What do you think of either of those names? :huh:

So you're craving fruit...you're either having a girl or a very health-conscious little boy! :P While you are delicately eating pineapple, I'm shoving my face full of buffalo wings :D I ate a to-go box full all by myself the other night! :o

I'm hoping you have a wonderful second trimester! Is this your first baby? Keep us updated and let us know as soon as you find out the gender! Blessings.

-Julie

jenvan Collaborator

It's fun to hear updates on you ladies...good luck with the next months! I have four pregnant friends/family right now! ...so its on the brain :)

jules--josh and eli--good names i say!

happygirl Collaborator

I agree with Jen-it is nice to hear how the pregnant ladies are doing!

I don't have kids yet (married 1.5 years) and its not on the near horizon, but something that we are talking about ..... so its nice to learn ahead of time! I really think that Celiac pregnant women are amazing-no "normal" crackers, bread, pretzels etc when you are not feeling well. And you all seem to be in good spirits.....although I'm sure you have your days!

Hope the pregnancies continue to go well! :)

cgilsing Enthusiast

Hey Julie!

Ah yes, the toilet at work...I lucked out in that I now have my own toilet and don't have to share! I'm a graphic artist for a screen printing company, and part of my pre-pregnancy job was to spray an adhesive on the outgoing film from my office. The spray had huge labels on it: "DO NOT USE IF YOU ARE PREGNANT OR TRYING TO GET PREGNANT" Before I got pregnant the other artist had agreed to do the actual spraying of the stuff, but once I found out we were expecting I didn't even want it in the room with me. I took the bottle down to my boss and told him I was pregnant and asked if we could set up a station across the hall to do the spraying. He told me that there were a lot of chemicals in the plant that I probably shouldn't be around and suggested that I take a 9 month leave! :o I never would have done this if I wasn't pregnant, but I broke down sobbing in his office :rolleyes: I guess it hit a soft spot with him or something though, because he pulled some strings and had me moved to our retail store. They bring my laptop and the clip-art out to my for 1/2 the day now. :) The down side is that I'm bored 1/2 the day, but on the up-side I can suffer with my own private toilet now! :P

I really like both the name Joshua and Eli! Either way I think it will be a really good name! In fact Eli is along the same lines as the names we have chosen.....If it is a girl we are going to name her Ella Elizabeth (Elizabeth is my mom's name) and if it is a boy we are going to name him Ian (we can't decide on a middle name) How do those sound? Too common? That is our only concern.

This is our first baby, so we are all new to this! How about you guys is this your first as well?

Let us know how everything is!

Christine

Guest imsohungry

Jen,

Thanks for the feedback on the names. I've already started calling the baby Eli when I talk to him and rub my belly. B)

You have a lot of pregnant friends/family right now! But, it seems everyone is getting pregnant recently....hee hee....I was checking out at the grocery store and EVERY gossip and celeb. magazine had a picture or story of someone "expecting." :rolleyes: Of course, all of our babies will be perfect and well-loved! Enjoy your new family members!

Laura, thank you for the well-wishes for all us pregnant ladies of the forum! Enjoy your personal time, and when the time is right, enjoy your baby! ;)

Guest imsohungry

Christine,

I'll have to answer your post tomorrow. I was planning on doing it now, but....

Eli is sitting on my bladder. :rolleyes:

-Julie

Neva Newbie

I am 17 weeks and I find out December 14th what I am having!

I have heard that sometimes you can't though because the baby is turned around or legs are crossed.

I have EVEN heard that sometimes doctors don't like to tell because there is a chance they could be wrong???? How true is that?

I have had so many cravings come and go. My big thing the first trimester was that I would madly crave one thing then devour it then dispise it for the rest of the trimester!

I started to run out of good options!!

The staple cravings that have continued through to now would mainly be ANYTHING from the potato, and orange juice.

At the begining it was gluten-free pretzels, orange juice, potatoes, and FRUIT. I was perfectly avoiding caffine and then I saw this chocolate thing and I had to have it. Since then I have had kind of a problem avoiding it....chocolate that is.

Then since I am tired after work and so is my hubby not very much cooking was happening and we were grabbing stuff out a lot. The cheapest is fast food of course...

Lately I have put a halt to that. I am determind to cut out the fried fast food crap, and limit chocolate again.

I went through so many stages with cravings though...I was so proud of my cravings at first, then I just went nutz and I think maybe having that chocolate put my body in confusion with the craving signals.....lol

I went through a roasted chicken phase, a taco phase, a dairy phase....yes I have seen it all! It was stronger the first trimester as I said, but even now, if I see someone eateing something all the sudden I have to have it!!!!

If it is gluten free I'll take three!!!....Just kidding

Anyway through it all I still go CRAZY over anything having to do with a potato ( mashed, baked, roasted, soup...and unfortunately french fries...but like I said I'm limiting that!) and orange juice...lets just say every week we have like three different varieties of OJ in our fridge!!

SO, what does that tell you????

-Erica

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

I like Joshua and Eli, very nice names. I wish you guys a healthy pregnancy and when the little ones are there a wonderful time with your babies.

on the up-side I can suffer with my own private toilet now! :P

:lol: I like that one. At least we still have our humor :P .

But, it seems everyone is getting pregnant recently....hee hee....I was checking out at the grocery store and EVERY gossip and celeb. magazine had a picture or story of someone "expecting." :rolleyes:

:unsure: My husband and I are trying since I came back from the worlds and well, I think, it worked. I'm at day 45 of my cycle and still no period. Which is really weired, because, when I had only 106 lbs (some people said, I'm too skinny to have a baby), I still had a half-dizen regular period every month (every 32 to 34 days). And now, that I have 117 lbs I don't get my period anymore. So, there are only two possible explanations here. Either my body wasn't used to the sudden sport-stop and hormonal change plus eating all the other stuff again, or I'm pregnant. The only thing that's confusing me a little here is, that I feel great. I don't have to throw up and I'm stuffing my face with all possible things. Maybe I should get a pregnancy test, but does that show anything so early? Cause in case I am pregnant, then it's only almost a month.

and then I saw this chocolate thing and I had to have it

I see those chocolate things all the time and I always have to have them - hehe ;)

Rikki Tikki Explorer

Hi Stef:

You can get the home pregnancy test and it will tell you now. Best of luck to you! :D

Guest imsohungry
Hey Julie!

Ah yes, the toilet at work...I lucked out in that I now have my own toilet and don't have to share! I'm a graphic artist for a screen printing company, and part of my pre-pregnancy job was to spray an adhesive on the outgoing film from my office. The spray had huge labels on it: "DO NOT USE IF YOU ARE PREGNANT OR TRYING TO GET PREGNANT" Before I got pregnant the other artist had agreed to do the actual spraying of the stuff, but once I found out we were expecting I didn't even want it in the room with me. I took the bottle down to my boss and told him I was pregnant and asked if we could set up a station across the hall to do the spraying. He told me that there were a lot of chemicals in the plant that I probably shouldn't be around and suggested that I take a 9 month leave! :o I never would have done this if I wasn't pregnant, but I broke down sobbing in his office :rolleyes: I guess it hit a soft spot with him or something though, because he pulled some strings and had me moved to our retail store. They bring my laptop and the clip-art out to my for 1/2 the day now. :) The down side is that I'm bored 1/2 the day, but on the up-side I can suffer with my own private toilet now! :P

I really like both the name Joshua and Eli! Either way I think it will be a really good name! In fact Eli is along the same lines as the names we have chosen.....If it is a girl we are going to name her Ella Elizabeth (Elizabeth is my mom's name) and if it is a boy we are going to name him Ian (we can't decide on a middle name) How do those sound? Too common? That is our only concern.

This is our first baby, so we are all new to this! How about you guys is this your first as well?

Let us know how everything is!

Christine

Christine,

I'm so glad the hormones (and tears) helped your boss see the light-of-day and realize that he needs to work with you! ...and you got your own private toilet out of the deal?!! B) Way to go...If any man had a clue what it is like to heave or have upset stomach repeatedly in a public bathroom...every female employee would have a private commode! :P

I'm glad to hear your feedback on the names...they are not my first choice, but the hubby said my first choice(s) were to common...and I kind of agree. So it looks like we will probably be having a boy named Eli and I can't wait! :D Like you, this is our first baby as well. I don't know about you, but I've been reading like crazy...trying to learn how to care for a newborn, etc. Do you have a pediatrician picked out yet? I think I'm going to start interviewing doctors in January.

I like the name Ella and Ian. I definitely don't think they are too common; I LOVE the name Ella for a little girl, how sweet. Like you, we are using family names as middle names (my mother's maiden name). B)

Update us soon! -Julie :)

Hey Stef-

Thank you for the feedback on the names! :) If I were you, I would definitely take a home pregnancy test! It can't hurt anything and may answer many of your questions. ;) You HAVE to let us know if you're pregnant so we can celebrate with you. Good luck and have fun trying! B) -Julie

Guest imsohungry
I am 17 weeks and I find out December 14th what I am having!

I have heard that sometimes you can't though because the baby is turned around or legs are crossed.

I have EVEN heard that sometimes doctors don't like to tell because there is a chance they could be wrong???? How true is that?

I have had so many cravings come and go. My big thing the first trimester was that I would madly crave one thing then devour it then dispise it for the rest of the trimester!

I started to run out of good options!!

The staple cravings that have continued through to now would mainly be ANYTHING from the potato, and orange juice.

At the begining it was gluten-free pretzels, orange juice, potatoes, and FRUIT. I was perfectly avoiding caffine and then I saw this chocolate thing and I had to have it. Since then I have had kind of a problem avoiding it....chocolate that is.

Then since I am tired after work and so is my hubby not very much cooking was happening and we were grabbing stuff out a lot. The cheapest is fast food of course...

Lately I have put a halt to that. I am determind to cut out the fried fast food crap, and limit chocolate again.

I went through so many stages with cravings though...I was so proud of my cravings at first, then I just went nutz and I think maybe having that chocolate put my body in confusion with the craving signals.....lol

I went through a roasted chicken phase, a taco phase, a dairy phase....yes I have seen it all! It was stronger the first trimester as I said, but even now, if I see someone eateing something all the sudden I have to have it!!!!

If it is gluten free I'll take three!!!....Just kidding

Anyway through it all I still go CRAZY over anything having to do with a potato ( mashed, baked, roasted, soup...and unfortunately french fries...but like I said I'm limiting that!) and orange juice...lets just say every week we have like three different varieties of OJ in our fridge!!

SO, what does that tell you????

-Erica

Erica,

How are the cravings sweetie? Still potatos...or are you on something new? :P I am having cravings as well...and FINALLY putting on weight! Your cravings are varied, which probably means your getting a good nutrition variation. I have no clue what it means about gender...probably he/she is just hungry! :lol: Does your family have a history of big babies? Good luck at your ultrasound on the 14th. Yes, sometimes it is difficult to tell gender because the baby won't "open up" for a show, but often the ultrasound tech. or dr. will smush on your belly a little and try to get the little one to cooperate and move...so don't lose hope! ;) To answer your other question, Sometimes ultrasound gender images can be inaccurate (or the doctor can call it wrong). For example, some little boys never clearly show their little "package" and some little girs are thought to have a "package" when they really don't because of enlarged female anatomy or umbilical cord between the legs. However, most of the time, the doctor will honestly tell you how accurate he or she feels the declaration of gender is and if he/she is "not sure."

Update us soon! B) -Julie

cgilsing Enthusiast

Hi Everybody!

I had to tell you guys....I had my 1st ultrasound yesterday! I had some problems over the weekend (that turned out to be nothing at all) but they had me come in for and ultrasound! They say that he/she (they can't tell yet) looks great! He's the right size for his (or her) age and he looks really healthy! :D I got to take home pictures of our little sweet pea....and I'm hoping to get around to changing my picture on this site to the baby picture soon! My husband didn't get to see the baby though. :( He just left for training in New York on Sunday and then I had the sonogram on Monday! Oh well, he will get to be here for the next one....I'm so mezmorized by the pictures! I even brought them to work with me today so I could see them! He looks a little ghosty in picture, but I think he is beautiful! He is quite the ham too! He looked right at us and was waving his little arms and kicking his little feet :wub:

Steph -

How are you doin? Did you take a test yet? Let us know how it turns out! A test would show by now if you are pregnant!

Erica -

I TOTALLY know what you mean about the chocolate! I've been really good about all my cravings too (fruit mainly) but then I see chocolate and I just can't resist! I ate 3 scoops of chocolate ice cream with fudge syrup on it this weekend! Afterwards I said something to Brett (my husband) about not usually craving chocolate and he reminded my about the 3 hersey bars I have devored in the last 2 weeks!

Julie -

I'm just in love with the name Ella too! In the last few years it has really climbed the charts in popularity though! I normally wouldn't want to have such a common name (although I'm not sure why it just suddenly became so popular), but I like it so much I don't care! I think Eli will be a terrific name! It's simple and strong.....it's a good one!

Guest imsohungry

Oh Christine, how wonderful! :D Believe me, if you are anything like me, you will absolutely fall in love with every ultrasound picture you have throughout your pregnancy. :wub: I marvel at how quickly the baby has grown in just 19 weeks!

My hubby couldn't make it to the first ultrasound either, but he was able to rejoice with me over the pictures and he was absolutely amazed when he came to the next ultrasound! It was really sweet to see him that excited. ;)

I'm glad to hear that s/he looks happy and healthy so far. My baby is an active little rascal too! Isn't it so beautiful to see the baby waving his/her hand and kicking?

Enjoy this time! Congrats to you and the hubby! B) -Julie

Idahogirl Apprentice

Steph-

They have pregnancy tests at the dollar store, and they work just as good as the $10 ones. Make sure to check the box, since they tend to get stolen (I got home with two empty boxes without realizing it!) My dollar store test said pregnant the day BEFORE I was supposed to start my period, and usually you have to wait until the day after!

I am 11 weeks, and am getting my first ultrasound tomorrow. It's been ten years since I have gone through this, so I'll bet they've improved their technology some. They are doing it vaginally, which I've never even heard of, but I guess they get a better view :D I'm so excited! When I had my son, they only did one ultrasound, and only if there was a medical reason. Now it's common practice to always have one around 20 weeks, and possibly around 10 weeks if there's a medical reason. I'm kinda bummed that they won't tape it for us (because of liability reasons :rolleyes: ), but they'll let us bring a camcorder and tape it while they're doing the "cute" stuff.

We will definitely find out the sex if we can. We have two boys, so we're hoping it's a girl, although we're trying not to hope too much. We don't want to be disappointed. We figure, if it's a boy, at least he'll have hand-me-downs and we'll already know what to expect. A girl would be unfamiliar territory!!!

I'm looking forward to all the "baby stuff" like strollers and cribs. We don't have ANY baby things at all, and it's been awhile, so we'll get to experience all the new gadgets they have now. I think the screen that comes down on the stroller to keep bugs out (and dirty little hands) is so cool! And the covers for the carriers. I used to drape a blanket over, and it would always fall off or the wind would pick up and it was such a pain!

I haven't been sick, but I'm at the stage where my jeans are tight and I'm feeling fat, and just wishing I could be big enough for maternity clothes already!

Lisa

• 5 weeks later...
cgilsing Enthusiast

Hi Everybody!

I just wanted to let you all know...It's a BOY!! Little Ian is doing just fine, and is right on track at a whopping 11oz! We got some terrific photos. There is one that you can even see his little eyes, nose, and mouth! It's just amazing that he is so little, but so perfect!

Well, I just wanted to let you ladies know!

:wub: Christine

Guest imsohungry
Hi Everybody!

I just wanted to let you all know...It's a BOY!! Little Ian is doing just fine, and is right on track at a whopping 11oz! We got some terrific photos. There is one that you can even see his little eyes, nose, and mouth! It's just amazing that he is so little, but so perfect!

Well, I just wanted to let you ladies know!

:wub: Christine

Congratulations! How many weeks along are you?....I know I'm getting so anxious to meet my little boy! Don't you just love ultrasounds? I look forward to each one. :) Keep us updated! B) -Julie

Hey Lisa,

Have you found out if it is a boy or girl yet? It may still be a little early to tell... Hope all is going well. :)

-Julie

shelagh Newbie

Hi everyone,

26 weeks, with my little girl. Had my first craving today - chocolate soft-serve ice cream. Where do you find that in the middle of winter, anyway? We have two sets of names picked out - Hannah Mackenzie or Rebekah Grace. Mostly family names. That's funny about the food choices... I've tended to want fruit and fruity-tasting snacks.

I didn't gain much weight the first 14 weeks, then things really took off. Maybe a little too much?? I only started "showing" at about 22-23 weeks. Now I feel like a house, with about 18-20 pounds so far.

Does anyone know the probability of having a celiac baby? I am not too worried- if I can follow the dietary restrictions, my child won't have any problems following them with me. I had thought that I had heard that there's a 1 in 10 chance. Can anyone confirm or refute that?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
Sarah Beth Newbie

I see that it's been a month since anyone posted here, so I thought I'd revive it.

In terms of the likelihood of your child getting celiac disease, shelagh, Celiac.com (I linked the page) has some research articles on that. It looks like one study says that 17% of first-degree relatives of people with celiac disease also have it, one says 44%, I've also heard 1 in 20 and 1 in 10. It probably depended on the way that they did the studies (what they considered a valid diagnosis, etc).

No matter what study it is though, it is never higher than 50%, so the probability that they will not have celiac disease is higher than the probability that they will have celiac disease.

My mom has 12 brothers and sisters (there are 13 kids total), and 3 of them have it. So, if you used just their family, 23% of them have it. My mom doesn't have celiac disease, but I do. So even if your children get the gene (like my mother), they may not develop it.

I do know that there were studies that showed that breastfeeding decreases the risk of the baby developing celiac disease because it builds their immune system. Also there was a study that said that waiting until 4-6 months (until their GI system develops) before introducing any gluten to the baby helps to prevent it. Links to those studies are both on that website.

Anyway, good luck! I am 5 1/2 weeks, so I'm just starting out. I have already started on the morning sickness, though. But I'll tell you what, I am still not half as sick as I was when my celiac disease was active. Anyway, I hope everyone else is feeling good.

-Sarah

Archived