This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

how quickly do nutrients drop

ironictruth

ironictruth Proficient

Has anyone had labs done after being glutened? 

I had weak positive bloodwork DGP IGA last year and a negative biopsy after a 6 week gluten challenge. Had been gluten-free for 8 mos. I have been gluten-free again since March with some cc. Had 3 episodes of bad D since July. One tanked my potassium, magnesium and alkaline phosphatase. They all returned to normal. This last one landed me in the hospital with metabolic acidosis last week. My RBC count going in was normal and dropped a tad below normal within 3 days along with hemoglobin. My protein went from 7.4 to 5.6 in 12 hours. Normal is 6.4 and up (and I snuck in a protein bar and gluten-free turkey sandwich too). A day later my Alkaline phosphatase was low. 

My RBC and protein are back to normal, at least in non-fasting state. I literally spent 3 days drinking protein drinks and taking molasses. I also have to eat  every 2-3 hours. I am currently fasted for a CT scan and queasy/weak.

I refused to officially go back on gluten after this because it led to a damaged adrenal gland and inflamed thyroid. I also have mild bilateral plueral effusions. They scoped me again in the hospital and I do not have the paper results yet but the doc said the biopsies he took showed the duodendum is inflamed and has white cells infiltrating but no villi blunting. I looked it up and it said this could be caused by bacterial infection or also by someone with celiac on a gluten-free diet.

Needless to say, prior to my gluten challenge last winter I took a multivitamin. I was fine! So I am going to be crazy neurotic about gluten from now on. I even have new makeup. 

Has anyone had labs done right after being glutened? Did they tank quickly and come back up after the big D stopped and you could eat again? It hurts to eat though. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master
16 minutes ago, ataglance said:

Has anyone had labs done after being glutened? 

I had weak positive bloodwork DGP IGA last year and a negative biopsy after a 6 week gluten challenge. Had been gluten-free for 8 mos. I have been gluten-free again since March with some cc. Had 3 episodes of bad D since July. One tanked my potassium, magnesium and alkaline phosphatase. They all returned to normal. This last one landed me in the hospital with metabolic acidosis last week. My RBC count going in was normal and dropped a tad below normal within 3 days along with hemoglobin. My protein went from 7.4 to 5.6 in 12 hours. Normal is 6.4 and up (and I snuck in a protein bar and gluten-free turkey sandwich too). A day later my Alkaline phosphatase was low. 

My RBC and protein are back to normal, at least in non-fasting state. I literally spent 3 days drinking protein drinks and taking molasses. I also have to eat  every 2-3 hours. I am currently fasted for a CT scan and queasy/weak.

I refused to officially go back on gluten after this because it led to a damaged adrenal gland and inflamed thyroid. I also have mild bilateral plueral effusions. They scoped me again in the hospital and I do not have the paper results yet but the doc said the biopsies he took showed the duodendum is inflamed and has white cells infiltrating but no villi blunting. I looked it up and it said this could be caused by bacterial infection or also by someone with celiac on a gluten-free diet.

Needless to say, prior to my gluten challenge last winter I took a multivitamin. I was fine! So I am going to be crazy neurotic about gluten from now on. I even have new makeup. 

Has anyone had labs done right after being glutened? Did they tank quickly and come back up after the big D stopped and you could eat again? It hurts to eat though. 

No matter what the cause, excessive diarrhea can cause dehydration and nutrition issues.

cyclinglady Grand Master

If you mean celiac antibody testing after a glutening, yes!  Did the hospital think to retest for celiac antibodies to perhaps exclude a glutening?    My GI tested me after a suspected glutening (not sure what even glutened me ?.)   My symptoms suggested SIBO, since they were so different from when I was diagnosed (no intestinal issues, but anemia).  My antibodies were off the charts four weeks later!  It took me 3 months to feel better.

I consumed a lot of stew (soft and mushy) because anything I ate hurt to digest.  

Oh, my endoscopy looks normal.  Only the biopsies revealed damaged villi.  

Karen is right about her advice too.  It is not always celiac disease!  

ironictruth Proficient

You guys are good. So my DGP IGA was weak positive before all of this. We tested it in July and it was 15. Normal is under 20. My celiac sibling is one of the few who is sero negative but biopsy positive, gene positive, and extremely sensitive. So we never held my breath that any serum levels would be positive.

I did not see anything in my labs from the hospital originally so I just checked now and it was 28. So, weak positive again. Do they continue to rise after or drop again right away? 

The GI doc did say my biopsy results would be consistent for someone with celiac who has been gluten-free for awhile (I have been for 6 months). 

After 8 months of feeling like a nutcase with an attacked thyroid and calcified adrenal gland, I can finally feel like this is enough of an answer for me. 

Archived