Rate this topic

Hi, I got my lab results back this week, but have yet to talk to my doctor about it.  Just a little confused by what I am reading.  This is what my results say, and if anyone can give me some advice on interpreting them that would be great...thanks

Deamidated Gliadin peptide Ab IgG

<12.0
U/mL
  NEGATIVE

Tissue Transglutaminase Ab IgA
HI
>^250.0
<12.0
U/mL

POSITIVE

Well, you already know that it says "positive".  That means you have a chance (very good) for having celiac disease.  The next step is to get a Gastroentrologist referral for an endoscopy to obtain intestinal biopsies.   Keep eating gluten until all testing is complete as all the celiacs test (ALL) require you to be consuming gluten daily for accurate results.  Learn more from this reputable site. Ask us!  We are here to help.  ?

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/screening/

On September 2, 2016 at 1:48 PM, Kwall said:

What does this mean in relation to a Celiac dx : Deamidated Gliadin peptide Ab IgG negative?  and how long does it usually take to get in to a get a biopsy done??  thanks

It means that the DGP IGG test for celiac disease is negative.  But you only need one positive on the celiac panel for a GI to order an endoscopy.  I guess your doctor was just looking for celiac disease.  Some doctors are using the DGP to measure other  illnesses related to the brain:  ADHD, Autism, schizphrenia, cerebral palsy (Green, Peter, MD., Gluten Exposed.  Harper Collins Publishers,  2016.). 

How long does it take to schedule?  It depends on the doctor, your insurance, your country, etc.  

So my doctors office says....you are celiac...go see a dietician!  So I say shouldn't I be diagnosed with a scope.  The secretary says she will inquire.  I called back today and yes they are going to refer me to a gastroenterologist.  

Today my 12 year old had a doctors appt for something else and I brought up testing him for celiac.  Doc says what symptoms is he showing?  I gave him a few examples but explained with my high positive that I wanted to get it ruled out for him.  He says that people don't get diagnosed until atleast in their 20's, he doesn't have any stomach pain or abnormal b.m.'s.  I insist.  So he fills out the request.  Then he says because my doctor didn't request an immunoglobulin for me that I might have celiac I might not.  AHHHHH!!!!  

If your son's doctor is saying your doctor didn't test you for total IgA, he's thinking in the wrong direction.  Low IgA could lead to a false negative result (looking like a negative when it is really positive).  Since you already have a positive result the total IgA result isn't really needed.

he is saying she should have tested immunoglobulin? and he also said that false positives are common?? I honestly don't think he really knows.  But he did say a scope is the gold standard which my doc was not going to do until I sort of insisted.

2 hours ago, Kwall said:

and he also said they don't scope kids, is this true?

No, kids are scoped.  Because the celiac antibody tests are much better than in the past, in Europe they are diagnosing kids without scoping them.  But, there is certain criteria that must be met.  In the U.S.,most doctors still consider biopsies as the "Gold Standard".  But, every patient is different.  Some are too ill, for the endoscopy, etc.  

What you need is a celiac-savvy GI doctor.  Make sure that referral is to a GI who specializes in in or at least has a few celiac patients if you have a choice (a phone call or reading a doctor's biography is good).   It is important that you research and make sure you are up-to-speed on celiac disease.  I know that two of my PCP doctors are clueless when it comes to celiac disease.  Can I blame them?  No.  I'm just one of 2500 patients for my current one.  I used to  just arm myself with celiac disease information regarding follow-up testing and they run the tests for me.  Now, I have found a new celiac-savvy GI (changed insurance).  He's great.  Even before I showed up, he ordered all the necessary follow-up testing.  I was impressed (I had provided my new GI with written copies of all my celiac disease lab results prior to confirm my celiac disease diagnosis).  

You are most likely not IGA deficient.  If you were, your TTG IgA tests results would be low (negative).  Get to a GI.  Keep eating gluten as all testing (even the biopsies require it).  He/She might  even run the entire celiac panel for extra confirmation.