Staceyb09

Between the blood and endoscopy test

Rate this topic

my blood test came back positive for celiac a little over a week ago. I immediately eliminated gluten from my diet. It will still be a few weeks before my endoscopy, and I didn't realize I was supposed to keep eating gluten. Will I be ok, or do I need to go back to eating it for the test to be accurate. I'm just starting to feel better and don't want to go back and forth. What do you recommend? Thanks. 

Hi Stacey,

I think you should go back on gluten now.  Why go through an expensive internal procedure and not be prepared as best you can be?  It's not something you want to repeat for no good reason.  You really shouldn't stop eating gluten until all the tests are done and the test results received.  It's rare, but sometimes test results get lost and then you wouldn't want to start all over.  Your doctor should have told you not to go off gluten until testing was finished.  That's bad on them.  You don't need to eat a lot of gluten, I think they say 1 or 2 slices of wheat bread is enough.  It might be worthwhile asking the gatroendocrinologist they can put you on a will call list.  Where you might get in sooner if someone else cancels their appointment.

In the meantime you could stop eating dairy now.  Dairy can cause a lot of symptoms in untreated celiacs.  But stopping it won't affect your celiac disease testing.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Why take a advice from strangers on the internet (though it is excellent advice and correct)?   Here is what the experts say:

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/screening/

http://theceliacmd.com/2015/06/six-reasons-to-test-for-celiac-disease-before-starting-a-gluten-free-diet-3/