austin

Gluten savvy gastroenterologists in Austin, TX

Rate this topic

My son is not Celiac, genetic-wise, but has 2 gluten sensitive genes.  He's now in his first year in college, and is having some GI issues.  And, he has some hypochondriac tendencies.

Can you recommend doctors in Austin who are top in terms of gluten knowledge, and also have a good "bedside manor?"  I'd like to get him checked out medically to ease his mind, but also in the off-likely chance that he really does have an issue.  I am Celiac, and his brother is as well.  His mom also has 2 gluten-sensitive genes, but not Celiac.

Just looking for good gastro references.

Thanks!

7 hours ago, austin said:

My son is not Celiac, genetic-wise, but has 2 gluten sensitive genes.  He's now in his first year in college, and is having some GI issues.  And, he has some hypochondriac tendencies.

Can you recommend doctors in Austin who are top in terms of gluten knowledge, and also have a good "bedside manor?"  I'd like to get him checked out medically to ease his mind, but also in the off-likely chance that he really does have an issue.  I am Celiac, and his brother is as well.  His mom also has 2 gluten-sensitive genes, but not Celiac.

Just looking for good gastro references.

Thanks!

I can not help you with a doctor recommendation, but I am curious as to when he was last tested for celiac.   I am sure you already know this, but Doctors recommend that first-degree relatives get tested every two years or so (or sooner if symptoms warrant it).  Celiac disease can develop at any time with or without symptoms.  

That first year of college can be very stressful (that alone could trigger celiac disease).  If living on campus, he may be eating more gluten than usual.  I know my kid is pretty gluten light (our house is gluten free).   I have to add gluten daily to her diet before she is retested for celiac disease.