Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter
Ah978

Prilosec Affect the Test for Celiac?

Rate this topic

Can Prilosec cause a false negative in the celiac antibody test or have any affect on the test? I have been taking Prilosec for the past 2 weeks and wanted to know if it could affect ym testing for Celiac?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

34 minutes ago, Ah978 said:

Can Prilosec cause a false negative in the celiac antibody test or have any affect on the test? I have been taking Prilosec for the past 2 weeks and wanted to know if it could affect ym testing for Celiac?

Thanks!

I don't know any reason it would effect a Celiac blood test.  I haven't seen any info about that

Edited by kareng

Ok thank you! I just wanted to make sure. I have been having really odd symptoms and the doctor can't seem to figure out what is wrong with me. She is testing me for Celiac and I think it may be the culprit.

Before you take the celiac blood tests, make sure you have been consuming gluten daily for the past 8 to 12 weeks.  If you have been gluten free, the tests will be invalid (doctors often forget about this......)

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test (DGP IgA only) and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Repeat endoscopy/Biopsies: Healed

I don't eat that much gluten but at least every few days I was having something that had gluten. I haven't been able to eat much in the last 3 weeks but I wasn't necessarily removing it from my diet. I did not eat gluten 2 days prior to the test but ate a cookie a few hours before the test and got an instant headache. I was having headaches almost daily but they subsided a little until I had the cookie.