This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Confused by blood results & Hello!

bees

bees Newbie

Hello, I'm new here. :)

Add me to the "I'm confused about my results" club.

Positive for Tissue Transglutaminase IgG Ab (result was 10 - strong positive). But negative for the other IgG antibody (Gliadin) and IgA tests (I believe I am IgA deficient so this is suspected).  My diet at the time of test was while I was eating gluten.  No biopsy and I don't plan to get one - I'm going gluten free no matter what.  I started gluten-free a week ago and I'm already starting to feel positive effects with a little bit more energy.  Though today I am definitely detoxing and feel like I have the flu minus a fever/chills.

Background: Have PCOS & Hashimoto's thyroiditis (autoimmune disease that attacks thyroid - I've heard it is common to get other autoimmune diseases once you have one).  Symptoms are fatigue, irritability, hard time concentrating/thinking clearly, joint pain/inflammation, hives (started past summer and has increasingly spread - they are constant), itching, indigestion/burping/nausea/gassy.  Been feeling all of the above for about 4 years now, but always suspected at least a gluten sensitivity as I have chicken skin and about half those symptoms for many years.  

My question is: going by just the blood results would you diagnose Celiac or just gluten sensitivity?  I do carry the gene mutations for Celiac as well.  

Thank you in advance for any help and for having me here! :) 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Welcome to the forum.   We are not doctors, just folks who have issues with gluten.   We can not diagnose you.  If you feel better by going gluten free, then by all means go for it!  

The gene test does not diagnose celiac disease since about 30% of the population has those genes.  It can exclude celiac disease.  You did not post the ranges or the actual results of all your celiac testing either.  But again, we can not diagnose you.  We can help you live the gluten free lifestyle.  Check out our Newbie 101 thread located at the top of the "Coping" section.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Welcome to the board. If you can't or don't want to get the endo then just stay gluten free and see how your symptoms improve and then get the blood tests redone and see if the antibodies have gone down. Be aware that if you are celiac as you heal it may impact your absorption of any meds you take. keep on the lookout for any symptoms that might be related to that.

bees Newbie

Thank you.  Of course I realize you aren't doctors - I understand that.  I guess I was looking for a more concrete answer based upon blood results.  I don't know how to read them, and my doctor is just about useless (he basically just said I need to go gluten free).

The lab ranges for my positive result are 0-5 Negative, 6-9 Weak Positive, and >9 Strong Positive.  I came back as a 10.  

Im confused how I could get one strong IgG positive (tissu) and the Glidian of the IgG would be negative.

I appreciate your response.

bees Newbie
23 minutes ago, ravenwoodglass said:

Welcome to the board. If you can't or don't want to get the endo then just stay gluten free and see how your symptoms improve and then get the blood tests redone and see if the antibodies have gone down. Be aware that if you are celiac as you heal it may impact your absorption of any meds you take. keep on the lookout for any symptoms that might be related to that.

Thank you.  I will keep your advice in mind.  

cyclinglady Grand Master

Are you sure you are IgA deficient?   You just need one positive on the complete celiac panel to move forward with the endoscopy, but you have opted out of that step.  So, the best thing is to trial a gluten-free diet.  I would still recommend following up with a GI for a second opinion.  Plus, your endo is not celiac-savvy from what you stated.  

bees Newbie
1 hour ago, cyclinglady said:

Are you sure you are IgA deficient?   You just need one positive on the complete celiac panel to move forward with the endoscopy, but you have opted out of that step.  So, the best thing is to trial a gluten-free diet.  I would still recommend following up with a GI for a second opinion.  Plus, your endo is not celiac-savvy from what you stated.  

It is suspected, but not definite.  They came back negative, fwiw.  

It isn't that I don't necessarily want get the endo.  But more I already have an upcoming surgery scheduled.  My plate is full.  I want to get started being gluten-free, and I've heard you need to be on a gluten diet for a while to get accurate results?  If I would opt to get one done in the fall I'm sure a lot of the damage will be gone with a gluten-free diet, correct? 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

HA!  I got my endos mixed up!  Anyway, yes, you need to be on a gluten diet for all celiac testing to be accurate.  You can consider a gluten challenge later, but it can be brutal.  Everyone heals at a different rate and the gluten free diet has a steep learning curve.    It can take months or years to heal.  

Learn more about a challenge:

Open Original Shared Link

Archived