Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×

Rate this topic

I'm one week into my gluten challenge. Felt mostly fine up until today. Very nauseated, stomach churning, mucus in stool, headache and dizziness.  We will see how far I make it. 

I have a history of anemia, headaches and vomiting, unexplained weight loss with loss of hair and diarrhea, many cavities, easily broken bones.  But the symptoms have come and gone, so never thought about the gluten connection until now.

I also found out that my great uncle died from an aggressive form of non Hodgkin lymphoma, and my uncle has also had non Hodgkin lymphoma.  Several autoimmune diseases on that side of the family as well (type 1 diabetes and alopecia).

I'm hoping to set up a GI appointment soon and want to discuss blood work and biopsy so if I need to bail on the challenge, I can hopefully have both done in a timely fashion and not waste this gluten challenge. I know what blood work to ask for.  But what about the biopsy?  What do I need to make sure of so that it's not a waste of my time and money.  This is such a knowledgeable group, I was hoping someone could help with those details.

Many thanks!