Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
2 2
Kez90

Possible coeliac.. help explain numbers?

Rate this topic

Hey so im new! 

I had bloods earlier this week because of a few symptoms I was experiencing, I asked to be tested for milk, casein and gluten intolerances. I was hoping these would give me the answer to my acne breakouts, digestive issues and all of the other symptoms (I've had it all for a few years now)  Everything came back fine, but the bloods came back positive for Coeliac!

I have to wait 1-6 months for my endoscopy (public health system is shot) so I was hoping you fellow coeliacs can help me with my blood result numbers. I have no clue and it wasn't explained to me. 

"Tissue transglutaminase IgA Abs     H 19 U/ml   ( <7  ) "

"Gliadin (deamidated) IgG Abs        H 21   U/ml  ( <7  ) " 

Also, can coeliac be a cause for acne/hormonal acne? 

Thankyou ! 

Edited by Kez90

On 6/16/2017 at 0:05 PM, Kez90 said:

Hey so im new! 

I had bloods earlier this week because of a few symptoms I was experiencing, I asked to be tested for milk, casein and gluten intolerances. I was hoping these would give me the answer to my acne breakouts, digestive issues and all of the other symptoms (I've had it all for a few years now)  Everything came back fine, but the bloods came back positive for Coeliac!

I have to wait 1-6 months for my endoscopy (public health system is shot) so I was hoping you fellow coeliacs can help me with my blood result numbers. I have no clue and it wasn't explained to me. 

"Tissue transglutaminase IgA Abs     H 19 U/ml   ( <7  ) "

"Gliadin (deamidated) IgG Abs        H 21   U/ml  ( <7  ) " 

Also, can coeliac be a cause for acne/hormonal acne? 

Thankyou ! 

Hey Kez and a belated welcome to the forum :)

Sorry your post didn't get an answer, sometimes one slips through. 

Re your results. The number prefixed with the H is the level of antibodies detected. The second figure should be the range beyond which the test is considered positive. Usually that's in the form of a range like this:

tTG ANTIBODY, IgA

<4.0 U/mL (negative)

4.0-10.0 U/mL (weak positive)

>10.0 U/mL (positive)

Reference values apply to all ages.

So for the quoted test above a figure more than > 10 would be positive. I just can't tell from your post what the range is.  I suspect less than 7 was negative so you've either scored a weak or a full positive depending on the scale. Have you posted all the info that was on the test? 

Here is a little more detail about what each test is looking for if you want to know the science:

http://glutendoctors.blogspot.co.uk/2009/01/interpreting-lab-work-gluten-sensitive.html

Coeliac can certainly play havoc with your skin. In my case I found dairy was a big offender as well. Best advice I can give you is to stay eating gluten till your endoscopy. Ask your health provider if its possible to call asking for cancellations if you want an appointment sooner. But stay eating gluten so you get an accurate result.

If its negative, try changing your diet regardless. 6 months without gluten and dairy may sound scary but if it cures your health issues you'll never look back.

Best of luck!