This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gallbladder Surgery

Clarise49

Clarise49 Rookie

Hey. I never really thought about this before but I was wandering if many other people have had gallbladder surgery and if that had anything to do with being a celiac. I had gallbladder surgery in March of 2005 after having severe abdominal cramps off and on for several months. They found that I had gallstones. I would be interested to know about the relationship between the two if any. Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Suezboss Apprentice
Hey. I never really thought about this before but I was wandering if many other people have had gallbladder surgery and if that had anything to do with being a celiac. I had gallbladder surgery in March of 2005 after having severe abdominal cramps off and on for several months. They found that I had gallstones. I would be interested to know about the relationship between the two if any. Thanks

I was wondering the same thing. I am scheduled to have my gallbladder out at the end of this month, and am hoping it will improve some of my stomach pains (I have been gluten-free since September), but am wondering if there is a corelation, or any complications of having it out, if you have celiac disease?? :unsure:

traveljunkie Rookie

I had gallbladder surgery 9 years ago and never had any problems with gluten. Only when I ate red meat or foods high in fats would it cause a problem. Although I never was a big pasta and bread eater. I do know that the gallbladder does play a big part in digestion and with less enzymes for digesting our food, it can lead to food allergies, intolerances, et., so there could be link to gluten intolerance, but I'm no doctor. :)

bluelotus Contributor

I read a book called Dangerous Grains (focuses on how gluten affects the body, celiac disease and nonCD alike) and the authors do mention gall bladder "disfunction" as being related to celiac disease (as well as gallstones). Check out the book if you all get a chance. Its been a great reference for me (I found it on Amazon).

Suezboss Apprentice
I read a book called Dangerous Grains (focuses on how gluten affects the body, celiac disease and nonCD alike) and the authors do mention gall bladder "disfunction" as being related to celiac disease (as well as gallstones). Check out the book if you all get a chance. Its been a great reference for me (I found it on Amazon).

I've herad about this too. I saw someting once I think that said if you have celiac disease you are more prone to Gallstones... I wonder why that is?? I'll check out this book!

Ursa Major Collaborator

I've had my gallbladder removed because of gallstones ten years ago. My sister (who undoubtedly has celiac disease as well, and is getting herself tested now) has had hers out a few years ago. And my mother had gallstones as well and had her gallbladder removed in her forties as well. And she died of liver cancer at the age of 66. She had all the very same symptoms as me, and definitely had celiac disease as well.

nogluten- Newbie

I had mine taken out along with my appendix about 7 years ago. Oy, that was a terrible surgery. Worse than a full hysterectomy, imo. Half the women in my family have needed all of these surgeries at a young age. I wonder if it's related too.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Moongirl Community Regular

Im 26 and had my gall bladder removed 5 years ago...not for gall stones though, i had a polyp which cause my gall bladder to be infected. But after that i was never able to eat "normal" again without having cramps here and there from certain foods, and now just this year they are diagnosing me with celiac disease....

Rusla Enthusiast

I had my gall bladder out in 1972 after my son was born, right after. My mother had hers out about 3 months later.

Jenn2005 Contributor

My husband (he's the one with Celiac) had his gall bladder out in August of 2005. He did not have stones but his was not functioning. He had less than 10% function rate. His surgery was done before he was dx with Celiac. He had a biopsy done in July that came back positive for Celiac but the GI doctor told us it was normal it wasn't until the end of Aug. about 3 weeks after the surgery that we found out about the dx from the surgery center that called to follow up on the pathology report and then a new GI doctor found it on the report also. He did notice a few symptoms that went away after the surgery but it definately didn't take care of his problem - he needed the gluten free diet. Sure sounds like gall bladder problems are related to Celiac or Gluten Intolerance.

Jennifer

pinkpei77 Contributor

i had my gallbladder out in august of 2003 . i had gallbladder disease which is a "non-functioning" gallbladder, not gallstones. but i had had stomach and gi problems for a year before it and then after the surgery nothing really seemed any better.. i went through test after test after test before finding out it was celiac disease. i have no clue what the connection between the 2 are , but i would love to know if there are any. i was only 26 years old when i had my gallbladder removed and am 28 now. so its strange to have gallbladder disease at such a young age and not being overweight so it makes me wonder if i had celiac disease and that caused gallbladder disease or vice versa... who knows???

CarolynB Newbie

I think doctors are misdiagnosing celiac. My husband started having problems ten years ago and after going through test after tests they finally decided his problem was gall bladder. So he also had his gall bladder out, but it did nothing to make him feel better. Finally after ten years of loosing weight and feeling awful he was sent to a GI and had an endoscopy done with a possitive biopsy for celiac. After three days on the gluten-free diet he started feeling better. That was the end of March. Today he has gained 50lbs. and feels better than he's felt in eons.

Carolyn B.

Archived