Jump to content
Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
  • Sign Up
0
Hatbox121

Should I request a panel for my kid?

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

So I'm waiting biopsy results, no blood panel for me yet(will call my GI tomorrow). I'm wondering if I should go ahead and request a panel for my daughter. Backstory on her is- has multiple health issues including JIA (autoimmune arthritis for kids) now in remission. She has been to the pedi numerous times for stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, etc. They give her GERD meds and have checked h.pylori via blood test(negative). No other testing. We are always told it's just reflux or it's just anxiety or whatever. She has a history of weight gain and is technically overweight, but not much. Her eating habits never changed. She has a hump on her back (was told poor posture and weight gain caused it. No testing except thyroid which was fine). She vomits after meals at times(for example a couple of weeks ago we ate out at a restaurant and she had to stop mid meal to go vomit. Not the first time). Should I wait on my biopsy to come back or request a panel now? I've been pushing for a GI referall but keep getting denied. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Hatbox121 said:

So I'm waiting biopsy results, no blood panel for me yet(will call my GI tomorrow). I'm wondering if I should go ahead and request a panel for my daughter. Backstory on her is- has multiple health issues including JIA (autoimmune arthritis for kids) now in remission. She has been to the pedi numerous times for stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, etc. They give her GERD meds and have checked h.pylori via blood test(negative). No other testing. We are always told it's just reflux or it's just anxiety or whatever. She has a history of weight gain and is technically overweight, but not much. Her eating habits never changed. She has a hump on her back (was told poor posture and weight gain caused it. No testing except thyroid which was fine). She vomits after meals at times(for example a couple of weeks ago we ate out at a restaurant and she had to stop mid meal to go vomit. Not the first time). Should I wait on my biopsy to come back or request a panel now? I've been pushing for a GI referall but keep getting denied. 

Request the panel now. It'll probably take some time to get it anyways. Sounds like the symptoms match up.

how did your doc skip the less expensive blood panel on you and go straight to the biopsy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could wait until your biopsy results come in.  It is only a few more days.  But in any case, Put that request in writing.  List the symptoms.  Letter or patient-portal email,  it works every time for me.  I nicely ask and tell my doctor my concerns.  It is hard for them to disregard a letter.  It subjects them to a potential lawsuit.  

You child's regular doctor can order the celiac blood panel too.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Victoria1234 said:

 

how did your doc skip the less expensive blood panel on you and go straight to the biopsy?

I was already having a colonoscopy for other reasons. Had polyps before so was on a 5 yr repeat. Dr saw something in terminal ileum and took biopsies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks. I'll call on Monday. Dr said 2 weeks before results of mine, so maybe this Friday but might be next Monday before I hear any results. Going to try her pedi first, but if denied will try my GI. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
0

×