Celiac Disease FAQ | This site uses cookies GDPR notice. Read more... ×
2 2
Deades

Kids tested, how will I know

Rate this topic

Because I have celiac, my kids were tested today.  I never had the blood test, went straight to the endoscope.  Doctor was looking for something else and happened on a damaged small intestine.  I have no physical symptoms and neither do my kids (ages 21 and 19).  What am I looking for in the blood tests?  Our doctor had them run the full celiac blood panel.

You're looking for a high on any one blood test. which would lead to an endoscopy/biopsies being done by a gastroenterologist. Must be eating gluten until all testing is done. 12 weeks of eating gluten before blood tests.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Deades said:

Because I have celiac, my kids were tested today.  I never had the blood test, went straight to the endoscope.  Doctor was looking for something else and happened on a damaged small intestine.  I have no physical symptoms and neither do my kids (ages 21 and 19).  What am I looking for in the blood tests?  Our doctor had them run the full celiac blood panel.

Since I presented with anemia, I had my doctor check my daughter for it when they ran her celiac panel.   My anemia made me very tired and out of breath.  Tessa is right, anything out of range is suspect.  Highs on the celiac antibodies tests (EMA, DGP, TTG).  A low on the control test (IgA deficiency/Immunoglobulin  can invalidate the IgA celiac antibodies tests.