Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
1 1
pschwab

honest shampoo and body wash

Rate this topic

Has anyone used the honest shampoo and body wash sweet orange vanilla combo? Wondering if it's safe. I contacted the company and got the standard line that no gluten is actively placed in the product, but they can't guarantee there's no cross contamination. Any ideas? 

Unless you also have a wheat allergy, in addition to celiac disease or NCGI, the shampoo should be just fine -- unless you plan on drinking it.  ?  Seriously, if the shampoo does not have gluten listed on the label, it is okay to use.  Gluten must be injested to set off a celiac flare up (rise in antibodies).  

My celiac superhero is 4 so we were advised to make sure his shampoo is gluten free until he is old enough to make sure he isn't getting any into his mouth (the dietitian said around 8 or 9, he will be proficient enough).

This product should be okay.  Cosmetics are not required to follow FDA guidelines as they are not food.  If the company discloses the ingredients lists and it is not listed, then you should be fine.  Following up,with the manufacturer should be also give you piece of mind.  

I use Kirkland Shampoo for Costco.  It is even labeled gluten-free, but  I know they do not test for it.  They are not required to test (not a food).  Uni lever is good about ingredient disclosure.  They manufacturer Suave.  

I avoid Honest products.  They manufactured a sunscreen that caused kids to burn.  I would worry about the product development, quality, and testing standards that might impact their other products.  I use a physical sunscreen on my face when surfing or bike riding.  It does not sting my eyes.  

http://time.com/3981643/jessica-alba-honest-company-organic-sunscreen-sunburn/

Glad to hear the your super hero is adapting!