Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

JonathanG

Aldi gluten-free Bread Availability?

Rate this topic

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I would honestly avoid it. Aldi has a HUGE issue with gluten contamination on their products, and constantly has recalls on some. None of their facilities are 100% gluten free. Many swear by Canyon House, or Against the grain. I personally love Julian Bakery grain free breads, their new seed bread....toast like real bread, low carb, grain free, and 100% gluten free facility. Many of these companies ship from their website to your house. OH if you live in the US and have celiac disease confirmed keep your receipts for these and a itemized list, the price difference between gluten-free loafs and white bread loafs is a complete tax write off.

Diagnosed Issues
Celiac (Gluten Ataxia, and Villi Damage dia. 2014, Villi mostly healed on gluten-free diet 2017 confirmed by scope)
Ulcerative Colitis (Dia, 2017), ADHD, Bipolar, Asperger Syndrome (form of autism)
Allergies Corn, Whey
Sensitivities/Intolerances
Peanuts (resolved 2019), Cellulose Gel, Lactose, Soy, Yeast
Olives (Seems to have resolved or gone mostly away as of Jan, 2017), Sesame (Gone away as of June 2017, still slight Nausea)
Enzyme issues with digesting some foods I have to take Pancreatic Enzymes Since mine does not work right, additional food prep steps also
Low Tolerance for sugars and carbs (Glucose spikes and UC Flares)
Occupation Gluten Free Bakery, Paleo Based Chef/Food Catering

Join eNewsletter

2 hours ago, Ennis_TX said:

OH if you live in the US and have celiac disease confirmed keep your receipts for these and a itemized list, the price difference between gluten-free loafs and white bread loafs is a complete tax write off.

I don't know if this is worth it for most folks. Do check with your tax pro before going to all the trouble of pricing non-gluten free and gluten free purchased the same day and doing all the calculations needed as well as saving the reciepts. It is written off as a health expense and only available if you are someone who itemizes. It may also set you up for an audit.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

2 minutes ago, ravenwoodglass said:

I don't know if this is worth it for most folks. Do check with your tax pro before going to all the trouble of pricing non-gluten free and gluten free purchased the same day and doing all the calculations needed as well as saving the reciepts. It is written off as a health expense and only available if you are someone who itemizes. It may also set you up for an audit.

I honestly only do it with Almond Flours, Coconut Flours, Hazelnut Flours, Julian Bakery Breads, Califlour Foods Pizza Crust, and Noodle Purchases. All of these I have on their own receipt. I keep them in a folder in my emails, and a picture and tagged photo on Hello Receipts app. I also have Account Balance book I converted to itemize them. And show cost difference between them and the gluten versions.....I do not think about wanting to do it with everyday purchases and mixed receipts.

Diagnosed Issues
Celiac (Gluten Ataxia, and Villi Damage dia. 2014, Villi mostly healed on gluten-free diet 2017 confirmed by scope)
Ulcerative Colitis (Dia, 2017), ADHD, Bipolar, Asperger Syndrome (form of autism)
Allergies Corn, Whey
Sensitivities/Intolerances
Peanuts (resolved 2019), Cellulose Gel, Lactose, Soy, Yeast
Olives (Seems to have resolved or gone mostly away as of Jan, 2017), Sesame (Gone away as of June 2017, still slight Nausea)
Enzyme issues with digesting some foods I have to take Pancreatic Enzymes Since mine does not work right, additional food prep steps also
Low Tolerance for sugars and carbs (Glucose spikes and UC Flares)
Occupation Gluten Free Bakery, Paleo Based Chef/Food Catering

Join eNewsletter

I love Aldi's gluten free bread and have never had a problem with it.  Yes, they still make it, but it is hard to find lately.  I found the bread, burger buns, and hot dog buns in Kentucky this weekend.  The buns are honestly my favorite of all the brands I have tried.  They show up at the stores sporadically, so my advice is to purchase as much as you can and freeze when you find them.

Join eNewsletter