This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

2 years Celiac now Diabetic?

RoxPet

RoxPet Rookie

I've been dealt another blow.  After 2 years of finally learning to live with Celiac I now have developed Diabetes.  I can only assume it's the amount of sugar that I've added to my diet via pre-made gluten free food and the sugar in the other foods that are the center of my diet like yogurt and other related dairy.  Plus I just spent 2 months on my back after breaking my ankle so I had no exercise and ate a lot of processed gluten free meals.

I had some of the same symptoms as I did leading up to my Celiac diagnosis, mostly an unexplainable weight loss.  Is there anyone else who has had this secondary eating/nutrition issue develop since going gluten free?   I've been a picky eater my whole life so finding a sustaining diet without gluten has been rough.  Now I don't know what I'm going to eat.  Any feedback is appreciated. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Roxpet,

Sorry for the additional health issue popping up.  More diet changes needed is what it sounds like.  I had elevated blood glucose for a while years ago.  I changed my diet and it went back to normal.  So I think they consider that pre-diabetes.  Which is common in many people in theory.   But a diet change is what made a difference for me, and it  might help you also.

You don't have to eat a lot of sugar to be gluten-free.  I use stevia in my tea instead of sugar.  I also use it in baking in place of sugar or to replace some of the sugar.  I don't bake a lot though.  I don't eat dairy myself as it causes me problems.  But you are right, most yogurt is sweetened.

There is a thing called the glycemic index of foods, which assigns a rating to foods for how fast they cause blood glucose to rise after eating them.  Rice is worse than sugar.  But with the glycemic index, its the whole meal index that matters most.  Meats/proteins are slow to raise blood sugar.  So if you always eat some protein with a meal it can lower the glycemic index of the meal.  That's a good thing.

Carbs are bad of course, like flour, sugar, rice etc.  But you can eliminate a lot of those from your diet, or reduce them a lot.  Eating mostly whole foods is a good way to go.  I don't eat bread often, but do eat Mission corn tortillas sometimes.  It's all a matter of getting used to eating differently I believe.

There is a diabetes forum online where some of the people say they got off their meds (insulin) by just changing their diets, reducing carbs to almost zero.  So it is possible to get past it in some cases.

Gemini Experienced
1 hour ago, RoxPet said:

I've been dealt another blow.  After 2 years of finally learning to live with Celiac I now have developed Diabetes.  I can only assume it's the amount of sugar that I've added to my diet via pre-made gluten free food and the sugar in the other foods that are the center of my diet like yogurt and other related dairy.  Plus I just spent 2 months on my back after breaking my ankle so I had no exercise and ate a lot of processed gluten free meals.

I had some of the same symptoms as I did leading up to my Celiac diagnosis, mostly an unexplainable weight loss.  Is there anyone else who has had this secondary eating/nutrition issue develop since going gluten free?   I've been a picky eater my whole life so finding a sustaining diet without gluten has been rough.  Now I don't know what I'm going to eat.  Any feedback is appreciated. 

I am so sorry for this additional burden.  I know how you feel as my brother was a diabetic who I also firmly believed had Celiac and I know how he struggled.  In the beginning things can seem very overwhelming but, over time, I am sure you will find a way to make it work.

May I ask if you are Type 1 or 2?  I ask because you say you had weight loss and that is indicative of Type 1 diabetes.  Type 1 diabetes is one of the top autoimmune diseases that can also occur frequently with Celiac.  The 2 share the same genetics. One puts you at elevated risk of the other.  If you are a Type 1, then you will need to see a nutritionist and they can be very helpful in helping you plan out a diet you can work with.  The trick is finding a good one.  CyclingLady is a member of this forum and she has diabetes, which she manages very well so hopefully, she will chime in with advice.

cyclinglady Grand Master
1 hour ago, RoxPet said:

First, let me make this clear.  Your diet may have contributed to diabetes a bit, but the reality is you are either genetically predisposed or not.  That covers both Type 1 (TD1 — autoimmune) and Type 2 (TD2 — insulin resistance).  

Has your doctor diagnosed you with TD1 or TD2?  TD1 is strongly linked to celiac disease.  It can be determined by measuring antibodies (e.g. GAD).  Like celiac disease, there are several antibody tests for TD1.  It can affect any age.   The body destroys beta cells that help produce insulin.  Insulin resistance (TD2)  is common as we age or eat a poor diet of simple carbohydrates (which is just about everyone in the US!) if you are predisposed.    It runs in families.  It can be treated by diet and if needed, medications and/or insulin.  

I recall the same dismay.  

I have TD2.  I have made dietary adjustments and have been able to ward off medications that could affect my gut.  You really can lose that sweet tooth!  

Here is a link to Blood Sugar 101.  The author is NOT a doctor, but is good at investigating research.  It is a highly regarded website.  She sells a small book, but it contains exactly the same information.  I bought one for my Uncle who is not on the internet (imagine that!).  Learn about “eating to your meter”.  What affects one diabetic may not affect another in terms of elevating blood sugar.  Managing your blood sugar will help prevent all those diabetic complications.  Jenny’s Site also references some very well-respective books written my medical doctors who live with diabetes.  It is a good place to start.  Like this site, it helps me stick to my gluten-free and Lowere carb diet (you need to determine what works for you personally and I can not stress that enough).

got to go......

Ennis-TX Grand Master

I had to elminate, carbs, and sugars also due to UC, but I haveen cooking for diabetics for years in my bakery. I do keto based breads, grain free baked goods, nut butters, etc. I have a few grain free low carb recipes in the cooking section like Keto low carb dinner rolls, flat bread, crackers, etc. My bakery also sales keto loaf breads that are a huge hit with my customers.

Look at ketogenic/paleo diets. stews, meats, leafy greens creamy soups with nut milks etc. Crock pot and batch meals will be your new friend I imagine.

frieze Community Regular

i am thinking you may be LADA, latent autoimmune diabetes of  adult,  type one, of course. Not to hit you when you are down, but now is the time to realize that you eat to live, not live to eat.  find a different source of sensual enjoyment, ie photo, painting, singing, etc.  and "hold your nose" and eat what you need to live well.

Archived