This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Caution On Gluten Free Alternatives

thomas3000

thomas3000 Rookie

A study has just been finished on Celiac and food sensitivities. It's amazing what was found. There are many people who have Celiac or are subclinically gluten intolerant. Up to 50 percent of the population is sensitive to Gluten. WOW! Meaning that they don't have celiac but are still sensitive to the Gliadin protein. Many celiacs still have residual symptoms after going gluten free and those are mainly headaches, neuropathy, depression, and anxiety disorders. Staying gluten free will eventually get rid of those symptoms but there is a way to do it within a weeks time and that's to test for further food allergies...The skin scratch test is only 10-15 percent accurate so the blood test for hidden allergies is the way to go.. The number 1 allergy that was found is Yeast, followed by dairy and eggs. Soy was on the list because it is antigenically similar to Gliadin. I really hope this helps some of you because I know some are still suffering even after going gluten free. The alternatives are good, but they still contain yeast, some with eggs and soy products and plenty of sugar. Once the gut heals you can start using these alternatives with caution. Many celiacs developed diabetes and heart disease even going gluten free because of the poor blood sugar regulation caused by the overconsumption of gluten free junk foods. Just because it doesn't contain gluten/gliadin doesn't mean it's healthy. York Labs has a reliable food allergy test and I would encourage those who are still suffering to get the ELISA food allergy panel....Best of luck to all and Merry Christmas!!!!God Bless..

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Thank you for posting that information. Do you have a link to the article? Or do you know where to find it?

traveljunkie Rookie

Thanks for the info! It answers a lot of questions about soy. I think I'll stay away from soy for a while, and see what happens when I re- introduce it! :)

Charlene

jerseyangel Proficient

Thanks Thomas--That was really interesting. I've recently been thinking about additional testing for other sensitivites. I would think it would make it so much easier to make choices. Merry Christmas to you :)

jenvan Collaborator

I'd like to see the article too. It would be shocking to me if yeast was #1 and not dairy or soy....

RiceGuy Collaborator
I'd like to see the article too. It would be shocking to me if yeast was #1 and not dairy or soy....

I'm not at all surprized about the yeast, since I discovered that long before the gluten part. Also when you realize that many so-called "health foods" use yeast because it will introduce MSG in a way that lets them avoid listing it on the label, it's no wonder why it's in so darn many prepackaged foods. MSG is known to cause migraines, and a host of other health problems. It damages the brain. Just Google for "yeast msg" and you'll be stunned.

Here's just a sample:

Open Original Shared Link

Here's something on casein:

thomas3000 Rookie

I'll post it when it is released. I was actually involved with the study so it may be a few months before it's posted on the internet. It was amazing what was found. Conventional medicine won't even accept that gluten causes all these problems. They also found that many celiacs suffer from dysbiosis in the gut which causes more food sensitivities. Probiotics are big in the recovery process as well has Hawthorne Berry Extract which aids in healing inflammation. The more I research the more I'm convinced that the FDA and AMA know this, but won't accept it because it eats into there revenue. If the CAUSE is found, then drugs and unnecessary surgery won't be needed. I always thought that Kevin Trudeau was a quack, but am slowly starting to believe him. I posted a few months ago about infections, and those were found in 80 percent of celiacs in the study. Mainly H. pylori, it's a bacteria found responsible for ulcers and stomach cancer. I even tested positive for it. Mastica gum kills it, or you can take the triple antibiotic therapy to clear it out. I chose the former. If it doesn't work then I'll take the medication to hopefully kill the bacteria. But, parasites were found in 8 of 10 patients as well. Maybe that has to do with other things going wrong, who knows.. More will be discovered in the near future and will keep all of you posted....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Carriefaith Enthusiast
I'll post it when it is released. I was actually involved with the study so it may be a few months before it's posted on the internet. It was amazing what was found.
I would love to see the article when it is done.
Claire Collaborator

Having faced the Delayed Food Alllergy problems long ago and gone the testing route - there is a word of caution.

These tests turn up a large number of false positives - making the results difficult to interpret, Things showup that you never ate in your life!

If anyone does choose the blood tests you need to look at what common reactives show up. Eliminate these. Then look at any that are foods you do eat but do not seem to have any reaction to. You can do a challenge on these. Eliminate for a couple of weeks. Then add back one food at a time - eat it every day for a week or until 'reaction' set in and you know to quit. If after a week there is no reaction you can assume that one was a false positive. ND's are turning away from these blood tests just because of the many false positives. I had about eight that were absolutely wrong. Claire

Nevadan Contributor
Having faced the Delayed Food Alllergy problems long ago and gone the testing route - there is a word of caution.

These tests turn up a large number of false positives - making the results difficult to interpret, Things showup that you never ate in your life!

Claire

I have had the same experience as Claire. I tested with York Labs IgG ELISA tests. They found reactions to all forms of gluten, wheat, etc and all dairy which is consistent with my dietary experiments; however, they also found several other reactions. I have never eaten some of these and the others I have eliminated and then resumed with no discernable effects.

George

thomas3000 Rookie

i'm just stating what i learned, that's all...Just trying to help, and I know this info will help many people who suffer with symptoms not related to gluten. Such as yeast, eggs, dairy, and soy. I know that gluten sets people up for these allergies, but further testing is still needed, because if you aren't allergic to eggs, then eating them is crucial for good health. Soy can be beneficial for some but not all. Not everyone is allergic to yeast, but some are and it's the main cause of symptoms in some people. This testing helps and takes the guesswork out of elimination diets and speculation. Don't play with your own health, that's all I'm saying and the testing proves that not everyone is the same...It's seems that whenever I discover something, somebody has to come in an give an opinion that's not based on science. If the testing comes up with allergies to foods that you're not eating, it basically means that your immune system is going haywire and is probably reacting to the smallest amounts of either ingested or inhaled substances. I would bet my life that most but not all depressive or anxious symptoms are food related, and we're finding that out with more and more research...

Nevadan Contributor
It's seems that whenever I discover something, somebody has to come in an give an opinion that's not based on science. If the testing comes up with allergies to foods that you're not eating, it basically means that your immune system is going haywire and is probably reacting to the smallest amounts of either ingested or inhaled substances. I would bet my life that most but not all depressive or anxious symptoms are food related, and we're finding that out with more and more research...

I assume you may be referring to my previous post. I wasn't knocking your point that other antigens often cause lingering problems. I was just stating my observation about my experience with the York testing not leading to obvious cause/effect relationships which I found very disappointing. My intuitive feeling is that having multiple reactions show up may be more indictive of a leaky gut. The immune system may be just doing what it's supposed to do when foreign material gets into the bloodstream. The foreign material could be coming from any number of unknown sources. The presence of some of these antibodies may not cause any symptoms, or damage; however, gluten and casein proteins have been shown capable of causing damage; there are probably others as well. I've been gluten-free/CF for several months and after a year or so when a leaky gut might have had time to heal, I may retest with York to see if the number of reactions has decreased.

I also agree with your statements regarding possible coverup from our medical organizations, big pharma, food business, etc. Particularly big pharma would take a huge financial hit if only a few of the benefits of gluten-free/CF were to be realized in the general population, not to mention the grain and dairy businesses.

So far one of the biggest issues is how to get people to take some responsibility for their health and even try eliminating some of these antigens. From my personal experience with friends and family and from posts I see here, there is a huge resistance to changing eating habits, no matter what the benefits might be.

George

Claire Collaborator
So far one of the biggest issues is how to get people to take some responsibility for their health and even try eliminating some of these antigens. From my personal experience with friends and family and from posts I see here, there is a huge resistance to changing eating habits, no matter what the benefits might be.

George

George - you sure got that one right.!!!!! Claire

lgleeson Newbie

I just want to say that everyone that has any kind of condition always assumes that there is a cover up at the pharmaceutical companies. I just want to say, as a scientist at a drug company, who also has Celiac, we all have mothers and fathers and sisters, too and a lot of them have diseases that we would love to be able to cure.

Claire Collaborator

Thomas:

I don't know whether you were responding here to George or to me. Regardless, let this be said: this is a forum and people come here with information and personal opinions as well. Of course you meant to be helpful - so do I - but your post here suggests that you don't much welcome anyone not agreeing with you.

I certainly do agree with some things you said. When it comes to the allergy testing, I most definitely do not. I think it misleading to suggest that elimination diets are guesswork and speculation or that allergy blood testing is definitive. Neither is true. This also implies that we cannot trust our own bodies but we can trust the lab results.

I and people I know have had these tests. I actually had them three times. So in the first place I speak from experience. Secondly, I have the opinion of a highly respected ND who has stopped using these tests for his patients because he became so concerned that many were eliminating valuable nutrition from their diets based on test results - when many of the identified foods posed no problem. These patients were assisted through 'challenges' - as some have done with gluten - i.e. delete a food for some time and then reintroduce it and eat it regularly. If there is no reaction that food remains available to you. But in order to clarify the tests you still wind up having to do the elimination - challenge - etc.- the very thing you seem to think is guesswork. I have included at the end here an article on this subject that is well worth reading.

Regarding this statement" " If the testing comes up with allergies to foods that you're not eating, it basically means that your immune system is going haywire and is probably reacting to the smallest amounts of either ingested or inhaled substances." Says who? Do you have some 'Scientific" reference for this statement?

You say "It's seems that whenever I discover something, somebody has to come in an give an opinion that's not based on science" I don't see any scientific, professional references in anything you have posted. Again, I remind you that this a forum - people do 'come in and give an opinion'.

I believe the experience of NDs with their patients is a valid reference in support of opinion on these tests. Even if you disgard personal experiences which you seem inclined to do - there are still sufficeint articles available by reputable professionals on this subject to warrant investigation. One such reference is listed here. You can certainly find many others. Claire

IgG FOOD ALLERGY TESTING BY ELISA/EIA - What Do They Really Tell Us?

thomas3000 Rookie

I know 2 people personally who suffered years and years with depressive/anxiety symptoms. They were treated with guess what??? Antidepressants that didn't work. After the years of suffering they both went through allergy testing, and found yeast allergies and a few others. They cut out the offended food and WHAM! The depression lifted and the anxiety disappeared. It's beneficial trust me on that one, but it's not the only thing to do. You must be checked for infections. Parasitic, bacterial, and fungus can cause food allergies as well. I'm not saying that allergy testing is the cure all, but it's beneficial to many. My uncle had a hidden peanut allergy, he didn't have an immediate reaction, but a delayed onset. He cut out peanuts and his skin cleared up completely and feels a lot more energetic. It's just a peice of the puzzle and only a part of the healing process.

Nevadan Contributor
I just want to say that everyone that has any kind of condition always assumes that there is a cover up at the pharmaceutical companies. I just want to say, as a scientist at a drug company, who also has Celiac, we all have mothers and fathers and sisters, too and a lot of them have diseases that we would love to be able to cure.

Hello Igleeson,

I hear you and apologize for my generalizations; however, it does get pretty frustrating when there seems to be evidence that some, not all I'm sure, suffering from some pretty common maladies such as arthritis, osteoporosis, anemia, reflux(heartburn), etc only get prescribed expensive drugs that usually treat only the symptoms, not the root causes. Maybe the real problem is that so many dr's seem to depend almost exclusively on the pharma salespeople for their continuing education - no drug, no real ailment, "its all in your head". This is even more frustrating when a possible cure is as simple, and cheap, as a good gluten-free diet.

Welcome to the board. Hopefully you can add a new dimension here. I look forward to future posts.

George

thomas3000 Rookie

Oh, and by the way, If you ever get glutened or eat a food and get a reaction, Alka-Seltzer gold stops the reaction....Merry Christmas again!!

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Maybe the real problem is that so many dr's seem to depend almost exclusively on the pharma salespeople for their continuing education - no drug, no real ailment, "its all in your head". This is even more frustrating when a possible cure is as simple, and cheap, as a good gluten-free diet.

I agree George,

I just saw a doctor who believes in finding the root cause of symptoms rather than treating them with meds.

He said his "pet peeve" was doctors who believe "it's all in your head" just because tests are negative or they cant perscribe a drug to "fix" the problem. He said when something shows up in a test that they can "understand" and perscribe something for they will jump into action. He used my Graves Disease as an example..he was right...the docs DID jump into action when they saw those test results. I had completely opposite experience with getting my gluten intolerance recognized....at one point my bathroom looked like a small pharmacy. They love whipping out that prescription pad and when I started refusing the drugs and demanding they search for a cause...I was told to see the psychiatrist and get put on antidepressants. :angry:

Its sad but the majority of doctors out there think and act in this manner.

Archived