• Join our community!

    Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

  • Ads by Google:
     




    Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

    Ads by Google:



       Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

  • Announcements

    • Scott Adams

      Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   04/24/2018

      This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What is Celiac Disease and the Gluten-Free Diet? What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease?  Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes
1 1
SeaOats

Perplexed at what's going on....

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I found this board through various searches for the last few weeks as I was trying to figure out what was going on with my digestion. I've been lactose intolerant for the last 12 yrs or so and occasionally had heartburn. I went on and off Prilosec since 2006 when I had a bad attack of GERD. Everything was fine up until around June 2017 when I was getting bad gas and I determined it was chicken ... narrowing it down by taking it out of my diet  then reintroducing it various times. I totally cut out eating that and stuck to fish. I'd been dealing with a constant stuffed up nose the past year or so and headaches daily the last 6 yrs and was taking 1-4 Excedrin a day for the last 5 yrs or so. I realized this was not good and started to cut back to one pill then half a pill but at times that wasn't enough to kill the pain. Not one single morning went by when I didn't have a headache nor a stuffed up nose. I would use nasal sprays off and on as well so I could at least breathe. I also felt tired a lot but I can recall most of my life feeling tired mid afternoon but by 6pm I was ready to take a nap most nights. On weekends when not working I'd take a nap once during the afternoon or early evening. I woke up almost every morning never feeling rested as well ...groggy for the first 10 minutes and just not wanting to get up.  I made an appt to see my doctor last May to see if something was going on as far as the tiredness and just feeling off. She did a blood test and everything was fine except Vitamin D which was low when I had my physical for work. I started taking Vitamin D again and had been taking b-12 which I was also low on in the past. I also had numbness in my hands one day at work in the middle of the day for no reason as well as one foot as if I'd had no circulation...the typical "laying on hands" during the night feeling. I only had that a couple times and never thought of it again. So about late summer or so I started having a dull pain right underneath my ribcage in the middle (top of stomach). It came and went for days or weeks. I also started hiccuping alot but no heartburn at all. Symptoms  then got bad to where I had a stomach or abdomen ache for the lack of a better term off and on and it felt like I had rotting carcasses in my intestines. Its the feeling I get when I've had lactose which usually results in loose bowels but just the normal one time a day as I always have. Most of December and Jan I dealt with what I call "Death gas"....like something died inside of me and thankfully no one was much around me. I could always eat some dairy in the past with only loose bowels as the result but now it was the death gas. I had the pain in my abdomen every day and the gas just got more frequent and like clockwork it was usually 5 hours after I'd eaten anything.  Sweet potatoes bothered me, white potatoes....the list just went on.  The fish that I could eat so easily before with no gas was now giving me the death gas. I'd omitted almost everything I was taking in thinking it was the culprit....vitamins, margarine, anything and everything that was "newish" to my diet but nothing helped.  I thought maybe I had leaky gut and started taking probiotics but 4x the amount as I read the amount on the bottles were for people that didn't have issues. But it wasn't helping and I just felt worse.  I made an appt to see the doctor and she couldn't figure it out and referred me to a GI doctor. When I came home I was so disappointed and scared because I just wanted relief.  I decided to do more research as I waited for the GI to call me back. I stumbled upon Gluten Intolerance which I'd read about before but I came onto a different site which listed the "tingling hands" symptom and I remembered Id had that before. So I stopped eating gluten and the next day I felt so much better. The pain under my ribs had alleviated and by day 4 I felt like my old self....something I hadn't felt in months. Someone at work recommended I start taking the probiotics again so I did but was leery as they gave me such trouble before. I took the recommended amount though this time and by evening the stomach ache returned. Next day I woke up with the pain and had it all day. Day 3 same and I decided to read the ingredients in the probiotics and it said "contains wheat" UGHHHH.  And I know why the fish started bothering me as well...I had just started to put flour on it to make it crispy when frying :(.  I threw out the probiotics and it seemed to take a couple days till the stomach ache went away and gas.  Well I finally got an appt with GI doctor but by that time a 1.5 weeks later I was feeling pretty good having been off Gluten for about 2 weeks. I still had some tenderness in the middle below my ribs but not the radiating icky feeling I had under there in the past.  She scheduled me for a blood test which I have to get tomorrow and and endoscopy/colonostomy which I had to postpone due to insurance issues I'm working on and getting off work for the procedure.  All has been pretty good since now as it's been 3 weeks I was off Gluten but I did have a breaded crab cake sandwich a few days ago so it'll show up in the blood test as she recommended.  I didnt really have any stomach problems after wards . I still have some cramping and gas but man NOTHING like before. I was tooting ALL DAY long and it was the death kind. Now it's just a few times a day which was normal. However Ive started burping alot at times which I didnt . I also bought some Gluten Free Pretzels at Aldi's which seemed to not agree with me. I also had Ronzoni Gluten Free Pasta and I felt bloated within an hour of eating it and then had gas hours after. I tried brown rice pasta and got bloated and gassy from that. I'd read the Gluten Free things can at times give people issues but I dont know what ingredient in it that is the problem. I also dont know if the stomach issues I have now are from the pretzels or the sandwich I had 4 days ago. I don't seem to have the problems those with Celiac have that I've read and I'm starting to think it's not that (which I'll be tested for) and that this a gluten problem with other things mixed in that bother me such as corn? I never had an issue with corn except some gas I think? I just dont recall any major issues....if it's a gluten allergry I believe it is from taking the NSAID's all this time. This is what I just don't know...is it leaky gut? I never have to run to the bathroom ...nothing runs through me at all. Sorry for the long post but I figured I should tell everything so maybe someone can shed some light. I forgot to say that I was able to eat chicken again last week with no death gas but I dont want to have too much for fear of not allowing my intestines to heal. Ive been eating fish, fruits and veggies for the last 3 weeks except for the pretzels and pasta. Oh and the headaches have gone away except for today...one day after I tried the pretzels again and my nose was slightly stuffed in the morning. But other then today I've not had a headache for 3 weeks and no stuffed up nose. I just wondered how long till the stomach aches, gas and icky feeling go away. I was feeling pretty good and normal till last night :(

Edited by SeaOats

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:


Well I figured I'd reply to my own topic. Strange no one had any insight on it but shortly after I posted this things calmed down. My tests came back no abnormalities...so it showed nothing wrong. I believe I have leaky gut from low stomach acid from taking the Excedrin for so long. I'm doing 85-90% better since I posted this. I haven't had that terrible pain under my ribs for awhile now and have felt pretty normal. The last couple weeks however I've had some intestinal flare ups again but nothing bad and not sure if it's because I started eating peanut butter again or not. I bought two diff brands in the last month+ that do not contain any soybean oil as the Aldi brand had which I thought was irritating me. My stomach and intestines rumble shortly after eating or drinking anything which is what it did before I stopped the gluten/soy. I still think I have low stomach acid going on as the last week or so after eating chicken I feel bloated within an hour and gas starts up but nothing as  bad as it used to be. I ordered some Betaine HCL and waiting for that to arrive to see if that helps. I also had a little bit of non dairy creamer (which yes I know has caseine) a few times the last couple days to see if I was able to handle it and was fine but maybe this recent flare up is caused by that and the peanut butter. I used to have gas from red/yellow bell pepper but have been able to have some here and there with no issues so I added some to my salads the last few times. That could be the problem too...maybe it's all those things together creating the flare up? Very unsure but I haven't had any peanut butter in the last couple days. If anyone has any thoughts please comment and thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2018 at 7:42 PM, SeaOats said:

I found this board through various searches for the last few weeks as I was trying to figure out what was going on with my digestion. I've been lactose intolerant for the last 12 yrs or so and occasionally had heartburn. I went on and off Prilosec since 2006 when I had a bad attack of GERD. Everything was fine up until around June 2017 when I was getting bad gas and I determined it was chicken ... narrowing it down by taking it out of my diet  then reintroducing it various times. I totally cut out eating that and stuck to fish. I'd been dealing with a constant stuffed up nose the past year or so and headaches daily the last 6 yrs and was taking 1-4 Excedrin a day for the last 5 yrs or so. I realized this was not good and started to cut back to one pill then half a pill but at times that wasn't enough to kill the pain. Not one single morning went by when I didn't have a headache nor a stuffed up nose. I would use nasal sprays off and on as well so I could at least breathe. I also felt tired a lot but I can recall most of my life feeling tired mid afternoon but by 6pm I was ready to take a nap most nights. On weekends when not working I'd take a nap once during the afternoon or early evening. I woke up almost every morning never feeling rested as well ...groggy for the first 10 minutes and just not wanting to get up.  I made an appt to see my doctor last May to see if something was going on as far as the tiredness and just feeling off. She did a blood test and everything was fine except Vitamin D which was low when I had my physical for work. I started taking Vitamin D again and had been taking b-12 which I was also low on in the past. I also had numbness in my hands one day at work in the middle of the day for no reason as well as one foot as if I'd had no circulation...the typical "laying on hands" during the night feeling. I only had that a couple times and never thought of it again. So about late summer or so I started having a dull pain right underneath my ribcage in the middle (top of stomach). It came and went for days or weeks. I also started hiccuping alot but no heartburn at all. Symptoms  then got bad to where I had a stomach or abdomen ache for the lack of a better term off and on and it felt like I had rotting carcasses in my intestines. Its the feeling I get when I've had lactose which usually results in loose bowels but just the normal one time a day as I always have. Most of December and Jan I dealt with what I call "Death gas"....like something died inside of me and thankfully no one was much around me. I could always eat some dairy in the past with only loose bowels as the result but now it was the death gas. I had the pain in my abdomen every day and the gas just got more frequent and like clockwork it was usually 5 hours after I'd eaten anything.  Sweet potatoes bothered me, white potatoes....the list just went on.  The fish that I could eat so easily before with no gas was now giving me the death gas. I'd omitted almost everything I was taking in thinking it was the culprit....vitamins, margarine, anything and everything that was "newish" to my diet but nothing helped.  I thought maybe I had leaky gut and started taking probiotics but 4x the amount as I read the amount on the bottles were for people that didn't have issues. But it wasn't helping and I just felt worse.  I made an appt to see the doctor and she couldn't figure it out and referred me to a GI doctor. When I came home I was so disappointed and scared because I just wanted relief.  I decided to do more research as I waited for the GI to call me back. I stumbled upon Gluten Intolerance which I'd read about before but I came onto a different site which listed the "tingling hands" symptom and I remembered Id had that before. So I stopped eating gluten and the next day I felt so much better. The pain under my ribs had alleviated and by day 4 I felt like my old self....something I hadn't felt in months. Someone at work recommended I start taking the probiotics again so I did but was leery as they gave me such trouble before. I took the recommended amount though this time and by evening the stomach ache returned. Next day I woke up with the pain and had it all day. Day 3 same and I decided to read the ingredients in the probiotics and it said "contains wheat" UGHHHH.  And I know why the fish started bothering me as well...I had just started to put flour on it to make it crispy when frying :(.  I threw out the probiotics and it seemed to take a couple days till the stomach ache went away and gas.  Well I finally got an appt with GI doctor but by that time a 1.5 weeks later I was feeling pretty good having been off Gluten for about 2 weeks. I still had some tenderness in the middle below my ribs but not the radiating icky feeling I had under there in the past.  She scheduled me for a blood test which I have to get tomorrow and and endoscopy/colonostomy which I had to postpone due to insurance issues I'm working on and getting off work for the procedure.  All has been pretty good since now as it's been 3 weeks I was off Gluten but I did have a breaded crab cake sandwich a few days ago so it'll show up in the blood test as she recommended.  I didnt really have any stomach problems after wards . I still have some cramping and gas but man NOTHING like before. I was tooting ALL DAY long and it was the death kind. Now it's just a few times a day which was normal. However Ive started burping alot at times which I didnt . I also bought some Gluten Free Pretzels at Aldi's which seemed to not agree with me. I also had Ronzoni Gluten Free Pasta and I felt bloated within an hour of eating it and then had gas hours after. I tried brown rice pasta and got bloated and gassy from that. I'd read the Gluten Free things can at times give people issues but I dont know what ingredient in it that is the problem. I also dont know if the stomach issues I have now are from the pretzels or the sandwich I had 4 days ago. I don't seem to have the problems those with Celiac have that I've read and I'm starting to think it's not that (which I'll be tested for) and that this a gluten problem with other things mixed in that bother me such as corn? I never had an issue with corn except some gas I think? I just dont recall any major issues....if it's a gluten allergry I believe it is from taking the NSAID's all this time. This is what I just don't know...is it leaky gut? I never have to run to the bathroom ...nothing runs through me at all. Sorry for the long post but I figured I should tell everything so maybe someone can shed some light. I forgot to say that I was able to eat chicken again last week with no death gas but I dont want to have too much for fear of not allowing my intestines to heal. Ive been eating fish, fruits and veggies for the last 3 weeks except for the pretzels and pasta. Oh and the headaches have gone away except for today...one day after I tried the pretzels again and my nose was slightly stuffed in the morning. But other then today I've not had a headache for 3 weeks and no stuffed up nose. I just wondered how long till the stomach aches, gas and icky feeling go away. I was feeling pretty good and normal till last night :(

Welcome!  

Oh no!  Did you tell the GI that you were already gluten free?  All celiac testing, be it a blood test to check for antibodies or an endoscopy to obtain intestinal biopsies,  requires you to be on a full gluten diet.  In as little as two weeks you can heal the gut. This usually is not common, but possible.  So, if you receive a negative result, discuss this with your GI.  You may need to retest after going back on gluten.  

Learn more:

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/screening/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SeaOats said:

Well I figured I'd reply to my own topic. Strange no one had any insight on it but shortly after I posted this things calmed down. My tests came back no abnormalities...so it showed nothing wrong. I believe I have leaky gut from low stomach acid from taking the Excedrin for so long. I'm doing 85-90% better since I posted this. I haven't had that terrible pain under my ribs for awhile now and have felt pretty normal. The last couple weeks however I've had some intestinal flare ups again but nothing bad and not sure if it's because I started eating peanut butter again or not. I bought two diff brands in the last month+ that do not contain any soybean oil as the Aldi brand had which I thought was irritating me. My stomach and intestines rumble shortly after eating or drinking anything which is what it did before I stopped the gluten/soy. I still think I have low stomach acid going on as the last week or so after eating chicken I feel bloated within an hour and gas starts up but nothing as  bad as it used to be. I ordered some Betaine HCL and waiting for that to arrive to see if that helps. I also had a little bit of non dairy creamer (which yes I know has caseine) a few times the last couple days to see if I was able to handle it and was fine but maybe this recent flare up is caused by that and the peanut butter. I used to have gas from red/yellow bell pepper but have been able to have some here and there with no issues so I added some to my salads the last few times. That could be the problem too...maybe it's all those things together creating the flare up? Very unsure but I haven't had any peanut butter in the last couple days. If anyone has any thoughts please comment and thanks

So sorry, sometimes postings just go unnoticed.  What did you doctor advise?  Was he aware that you had gone gluten free?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I would see about getting a actual celiac panel if you can stomach the gluten challenge like cylcing lady said.

Other thoughts common with celiac and that sort of sets of a flag with what I am seeing is SIBO or Candida. Both can cause the gas and bloating with carbs. There are treatments and diet to fix them and it can take a few months. Basically you have to starve off the culprits with a low/no carb diet for a few months while taking supplements to regulate them like Candida FX and probiotics like Natures Way Fortify (gluten-free) Do some research and see if either SIBO or Candida match with your other symptoms.

Tingling hands can be a B-vitamin issues and you need to take the full spectrum of b-vitamins not just 12 as they work together. I use Liquid Health Stress & Energy and Liquid Health Neurological Support 1 tbsp each 3 times a day. THIS can also be a Magnesium issue, another common problem with celiacs ESPECIALLY if your on proton pump blockers for acid reflux. Depending on symptoms depends on what form you need. If you have constipation you need Natural Vitality Calm which is Magnesium Citrate start off 1/4tsp (1-2g) a day and over a week or so slowly up it 1-2grams or 1/4 tsp at a time til full dose OR you get loose stools then back it back down dosing to tolerance.  IF you have loose stools or now issues with bowl go with Doctors Best Powder Magnesium Glycinate and just take it as it suggest. I found taking it at night before bed really helped me to sleep like a log and works best.

Food intolerance issues come and go, and in some cases can even be related to the enzymes, again PPI for acid reflux and having a higher PH can make them less effective so your taking the right route with the HCL already.
https://www.mindbodygreen.com/articles/are-food-sensitivities-for-life
https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/119919-digestive-enzymes/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ads by Google:


10 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

Welcome!  

Oh no!  Did you tell the GI that you were already gluten free?  All celiac testing, be it a blood test to check for antibodies or an endoscopy to obtain intestinal biopsies,  requires you to be on a full gluten diet.  In as little as two weeks you can heal the gut. This usually is not common, but possible.  So, if you receive a negative result, discuss this with your GI.  You may need to retest after going back on gluten.  

Learn more:

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/screening/

 

At the time I visited the GI doctor I'd only been off Gluten for 2 weeks and did tell her that. She said it wasn't long enough for an inaccurate test result and suggested as well that I eat a bit of gluten before the test which I did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ennis_TX said:

Well I would see about getting a actual celiac panel if you can stomach the gluten challenge like cylcing lady said.

Other thoughts common with celiac and that sort of sets of a flag with what I am seeing is SIBO or Candida. Both can cause the gas and bloating with carbs. There are treatments and diet to fix them and it can take a few months. Basically you have to starve off the culprits with a low/no carb diet for a few months while taking supplements to regulate them like Candida FX and probiotics like Natures Way Fortify (gluten-free) Do some research and see if either SIBO or Candida match with your other symptoms.

Tingling hands can be a B-vitamin issues and you need to take the full spectrum of b-vitamins not just 12 as they work together. I use Liquid Health Stress & Energy and Liquid Health Neurological Support 1 tbsp each 3 times a day. THIS can also be a Magnesium issue, another common problem with celiacs ESPECIALLY if your on proton pump blockers for acid reflux. Depending on symptoms depends on what form you need. If you have constipation you need Natural Vitality Calm which is Magnesium Citrate start off 1/4tsp (1-2g) a day and over a week or so slowly up it 1-2grams or 1/4 tsp at a time til full dose OR you get loose stools then back it back down dosing to tolerance.  IF you have loose stools or now issues with bowl go with Doctors Best Powder Magnesium Glycinate and just take it as it suggest. I found taking it at night before bed really helped me to sleep like a log and works best.

Food intolerance issues come and go, and in some cases can even be related to the enzymes, again PPI for acid reflux and having a higher PH can make them less effective so your taking the right route with the HCL already.
https://www.mindbodygreen.com/articles/are-food-sensitivities-for-life
https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/119919-digestive-enzymes/

 

thanks for the reply. I was wondering about SIBO or Candida as well but I didn't seem to have all the symptoms. I have been off the PPI since about August or Sept and started taking the B-12 and D again just within the last month or so. I really haven't had constipation thankfully. I also did not have the D yet it was not normal. I'd say loose like sticky... sorry for this info :(....but the last couple weeks everything was back to maybe October when things were more normal. Today though it was back to the loose sticky stuff :( which I guess correlates to the flare up symptoms. I'll look into the other things you suggested which I appreciate. I'm glad to know about the food intolerances coming and going. I  guess because things have been going so well that maybe I had turned the big corner and on my way to being normal fast but I see it's going to take a lot longer. I noticed that the tiredness had came back we well the last week. I found myself needing to take naps midday on the weekends when I was home and feeling so tired most days. I felt like I got only a few hours of sleep when I was getting 7-8. I also was under a severe amount of stress late summer into winter with horrible horrible new tenants in the apartment below me which I think gave all this a stiff kick into high gear....just compounding what was already there .

As far as getting another panel done I don't think I can tolerate any gluten in order to do that. I had bought a small bag of Pumpkin seeds as I read that was a good snack to have a couple weeks ago when I went on a weekend trip with a friend. I read the package to make sure it didn't have any soy or wheat in it. Well shortly after I had some in the car on the trip I started getting stomach pains so I checked the bag again and read processed on same equipment as foods with soy, wheat and milk products. My stomach was not good for the weekend :(. 

Today was a better day and no bad gas thankfully. I guess it was "normal".  As soon as I would feel a rumbling I'd look to see if I made it past the 1-2 hr mark after eating. I have to keep telling myself having gas is normal it's just that having it so bad for so long I just think the first hint or any gas is going to bring about Armageddon :(  I have not had peanut butter or peppers today either as I'm trying to figure out which is causing the return of some of the symptoms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SeaOats said:

thanks for the reply. I was wondering about SIBO or Candida as well but I didn't seem to have all the symptoms. I have been off the PPI since about August or Sept and started taking the B-12 and D again just within the last month or so. I really haven't had constipation thankfully. I also did not have the D yet it was not normal. I'd say loose like sticky... sorry for this info :(....but the last couple weeks everything was back to maybe October when things were more normal. Today though it was back to the loose sticky stuff :( which I guess correlates to the flare up symptoms. I'll look into the other things you suggested which I appreciate. I'm glad to know about the food intolerances coming and going. I  guess because things have been going so well that maybe I had turned the big corner and on my way to being normal fast but I see it's going to take a lot longer. I noticed that the tiredness had came back we well the last week. I found myself needing to take naps midday on the weekends when I was home and feeling so tired most days. I felt like I got only a few hours of sleep when I was getting 7-8. I also was under a severe amount of stress late summer into winter with horrible horrible new tenants in the apartment below me which I think gave all this a stiff kick into high gear....just compounding what was already there .

As far as getting another panel done I don't think I can tolerate any gluten in order to do that. I had bought a small bag of Pumpkin seeds as I read that was a good snack to have a couple weeks ago when I went on a weekend trip with a friend. I read the package to make sure it didn't have any soy or wheat in it. Well shortly after I had some in the car on the trip I started getting stomach pains so I checked the bag again and read processed on same equipment as foods with soy, wheat and milk products. My stomach was not good for the weekend :(. 

Today was a better day and no bad gas thankfully. I guess it was "normal".  As soon as I would feel a rumbling I'd look to see if I made it past the 1-2 hr mark after eating. I have to keep telling myself having gas is normal it's just that having it so bad for so long I just think the first hint or any gas is going to bring about Armageddon :(  I have not had peanut butter or peppers today either as I'm trying to figure out which is causing the return of some of the symptoms.

Food diary helps finding culprits...I find it annoying, as with me sometimes it can be linked to a high histamine meal, or something being to rough on my gut. Some people have lectin issues. Like Almond fresh roasted no issue....roasted months ago issues....made into a butter not problem...I chew them issues and a paste issues. Really odd.

Anyway, for safe seeds check out mygerbs.com I buy their whole pumpkin seeds, whole hemp seeds, and shelled sunflower seeds often. I tend to make paste/butters out of them for ease of digestion and to get the nutrients.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It sounds like you have several intolerances...I am Celiac...and I am Lactose Intolerant...corn and all grains bother me..I think you need your Ferritin levels checked..that's your iron stores..and where you were having your pain..could be your Gallbladder which goes hand in hand with Celiac as well..if you have it..I wouldnt go back on gluten.(continual diarrhea)...so no official diagnosis..but now see a GI and they are positive I have it..proof enough for me...gluten-free 6 Years and counting..I will never knowingly eat gluten again...GOODLUCK..and research is your friend!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ennis_TX said:

Food diary helps finding culprits...I find it annoying, as with me sometimes it can be linked to a high histamine meal, or something being to rough on my gut. Some people have lectin issues. Like Almond fresh roasted no issue....roasted months ago issues....made into a butter not problem...I chew them issues and a paste issues. Really odd.

Anyway, for safe seeds check out mygerbs.com I buy their whole pumpkin seeds, whole hemp seeds, and shelled sunflower seeds often. I tend to make paste/butters out of them for ease of digestion and to get the nutrients.

I will start a food diary again. I was doing it before the GI visit as instructed and then she never even asked about it. I actually didn't find going to her of any use so I wont be going again. They didn't even return my phone calls so I could make my first appt :(. Good to know that you have similar issues with something being ok in certain forms but then not in different form. Thanks for the links as well....I will take a look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Ads by Google:


11 hours ago, lisas11lisa said:

It sounds like you have several intolerances...I am Celiac...and I am Lactose Intolerant...corn and all grains bother me..I think you need your Ferritin levels checked..that's your iron stores..and where you were having your pain..could be your Gallbladder which goes hand in hand with Celiac as well..if you have it..I wouldnt go back on gluten.(continual diarrhea)...so no official diagnosis..but now see a GI and they are positive I have it..proof enough for me...gluten-free 6 Years and counting..I will never knowingly eat gluten again...GOODLUCK..and research is your friend!

I had a reply all typed out and then the site was down for upgrades. Thanks for you reply and sorry to hear about your issues and the diagnosis taking so long. I haven't had that pain I mentioned in the first post now for 2 months or so thankfully but I believe it was my small intestine but I had thought the gallbladder but didn't seem to match up with what I read and what I was told by a few people that had gallbladder issues. I had done a good deal of research on this problem I've had which led me to this site where I did more research yet I could not ever find anything that totally matched up with my issues. I guess now I see it's basically different in some ways for each person. I had some bell pepper in my salad tonite for dinner to see if it was the culprit for the gas as of the last few nights and it seems it is. Now just a little over an hour later and the gas has started...not bad like before but it's there. I didn't have any last night and no issues. Now I'll give my digestive system a rest and try out the peanut butter in a few days. I think it's both that are bothering my system. I've not had any corn since February but did have some gluten free pasta which had rice flour and it bothered me :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

1 1

  • Who's Online   13 Members, 0 Anonymous, 360 Guests (See full list)

  • Top Posters +

  • Recent Articles

    Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 05/22/2018 - Proteins are the building blocks of life. If scientists can figure out how to create and grow new proteins, they can create new treatments and cures to a multitude of medical, biological and even environmental conditions.
    For a couple of decades now, scientists have been searching for a biological Rosetta stone that would allow them to engineer proteins with precision, but the problem has remained dauntingly complex.  Researchers had a pretty good understanding of the very simple way that the linear chemical code carried by strands of DNA translates into strings of amino acids in proteins. 
    But, one of the main problems in protein engineering has to do with the way proteins fold into their various three-dimensional structures. Until recently, no one has been able to decipher the rules that will predict how proteins fold into those three-dimensional structures.  So even if researchers were somehow able to design a protein with the right shape for a given job, they wouldn’t know how to go about making it from protein’s building blocks, the amino acids.
    But now, scientists like William DeGrado, a chemist at the University of California, San Francisco, and David Baker, director for the Institute for Protein Design at the University of Washington, say that designing proteins will become at least as important as manipulating DNA has been in the past couple of decades.
    After making slow, but incremental progress over the years, scientists have improved their ability to decipher the complex language of protein shapes. Among other things, they’ve gained a better understanding of how then the laws of physics cause the proteins to snap into folded origami-like structures based on the ways amino acids are attracted or repelled by others many places down the chain.
    It is this new ability to decipher the complex language of protein shapes that has fueled their progress. UCSF’s DeGrado is using these new breakthroughs to search for new medicines that will be more stable, both on the shelf and in the body. He is also looking for new ways to treat Alzheimer’s disease and similar neurological conditions, which result when brain proteins fold incorrectly and create toxic deposits.
    Meanwhile, Baker’s is working on a single vaccine that would protect against all strains of the influenza virus, along with a method for breaking down the gluten proteins in wheat, which could help to generate new treatments for people with celiac disease. 
    With new computing power, look for progress on the understanding, design, and construction of brain proteins. As understanding, design and construction improve, look for brain proteins to play a major role in disease research and treatment. This is all great news for people looking to improve our understanding and treatment of celiac disease.
    Source:
    Bloomberg.com

    Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 05/21/2018 - Just a year ago, Starbucks debuted their Canadian bacon, egg and cheddar cheese gluten-free sandwich. During that year, the company basked in praise from customers with celiac disease and gluten-sensitivity for their commitment to delivering a safe gluten-free alternative to it’s standard breakfast offerings.
    But that commitment came to an ignoble end recently as Starbucks admitted that their gluten-free sandwich was plagued by  “low sales,” and was simply not sustainable from a company perspective. The sandwich may not have sold well, but it was much-loved by those who came to rely on it.
    With the end of that sandwich came the complaints. Customers on social media were anything but quiet, as seen in numerous posts, tweets and comments pointing out the callous and tone-deaf nature of the announcement which took place in the middle of national Celiac Disease Awareness Month. More than a few posts threatened to dump Starbucks altogether.
    A few of the choice tweets include the following:  
    “If I’m going to get coffee and can’t eat anything might as well be DD. #celiac so your eggbites won’t work for me,” tweeted @NotPerryMason. “They’re discontinuing my @Starbucks gluten-free sandwich which is super sad, but will save me money because I won’t have a reason to go to Starbucks and drop $50 a week,” tweeted @nwillard229. Starbucks is not giving up on gluten-free entirely, though. The company will still offer several items for customers who prefer gluten-free foods, including Sous Vide Egg Bites, a Marshmallow Dream Bar and Siggi’s yogurt.
    Stay tuned to learn more about Starbucks gluten-free foods going forward.

    Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 05/19/2018 - Looking for a nutritious, delicious meal that is both satisfying and gluten-free? This tasty quinoa salad is just the thing for you. Easy to make and easy to transport to work. This salad of quinoa and vegetables gets a rich depth from chicken broth, and a delicious tang from red wine vinegar. Just pop it in a container, seal and take it to work or school. Make the quinoa a day or two ahead as needed. Add or subtract veggies as you like.
    Ingredients:
    1 cup red quinoa, rinsed well ½ cup water ½ cup chicken broth 2 radishes, thinly sliced 1 small bunch fresh pea sprouts 1 small Persian cucumber, diced 1 small avocado, ripe, sliced into chunks Cherry or grape tomatoes Fresh sunflower seeds 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar  Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper Directions:
    Simmer quinoa in water and chicken broth until tender.
    Dish into bowls.
    Top with veggies, salt and pepper, and sunflower seeds. 
    Splash with red wine vinegar and enjoy!

    Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 05/18/2018 - Across the country, colleges and universities are rethinking the way they provide food services for students with food allergies and food intolerance. In some cases, that means major renovations. In other cases, it means creating completely new dining and food halls. To document both their commitment and execution of gluten-free and allergen-free dining, these new food halls are frequently turning to auditing and accreditation firms, such as Kitchens with Confidence.
    The latest major player to make the leap to allergen-free dining is Syracuse University. The university’s Food Services recently earned an official gluten-free certification from Kitchens with Confidence for four of the University’s dining centers, with the fifth soon to follow.
    To earn the gluten-free certification from Kitchens with Confidence, food services must pass a 41 point audit process that includes 200 control check points. The food service must also agree to get any new food item approved in advance, and to submit to monthly testing of prep surfaces, to furnish quarterly reports, and to provide information on any staffing changes, recalls or incident reports. Kitchens with Confidence representatives also conduct annual inspections of each dining center.
    Syracuse students and guests eating at Ernie Davis, Shaw, Graham and Sadler dining centers can now choose safe, reliable gluten-free food from a certified gluten-free food center. The fifth dining center, Brockway, is currently undergoing renovations scheduled for completion by fall, when Brockway will also receive its certification.
    Syracuse Food Services has offered a gluten-free foods in its dining centers for years. According to Jamie Cyr, director of Auxiliary Services, the university believes that the independent Gluten-Free Certification from Kitchens with Confidence will help ease the anxiety for parents and students.”
    Syracuse is understandably proud of their accomplishment. According to Mark Tewksbury, director of residence dining operations, “campus dining centers serve 11,000 meals per day and our food is made fresh daily. Making sure that it is nutritious, delicious and safe for all students is a top priority.”
    Look for more colleges and universities to follow in the footsteps of Syracuse and others that have made safe, reliable food available for their students with food allergies or sensitivities.
    Read more.

    Zyana Morris
    Celiac.com 05/17/2018 - Celiac disease is not one of the most deadly diseases out there, but it can put you through a lot of misery. Also known as coeliac, celiac disease is an inherited immune disorder. What happens is that your body’s immune system overreacts to gluten and damages the small intestine. People who suffer from the disease cannot digest gluten, a protein found in grain such as rye, barley, and wheat. 
    While it may not sound like a severe complication at first, coeliac can be unpleasant to deal with. What’s worse is it would lower your body’s capacity to absorb minerals and vitamins. Naturally, the condition would cause nutritional deficiencies. The key problem that diagnosing celiac is difficult and takes take longer than usual. Surprisingly, the condition has over 200 identified symptoms.
    More than three million people suffer from the coeliac disease in the United States alone. Even though diagnosis is complicated, there are symptoms that can help you identify the condition during the early stages to minimize the damage. 
    Here is how you can recognize the main symptoms of celiac disease:
    Diarrhea
    In various studies conducted over years, the most prominent symptom of celiac disease is chronic diarrhea.
    People suffering from the condition would experience loose watery stools that can last for up to four weeks after they stop taking gluten. Diarrhea can also be a symptom of food poisoning and other conditions, which is why it makes it difficult to diagnose coeliac. In certain cases, celiac disease can take up to four years to establish a sound diagnosis.
    Vomiting
    Another prominent symptom is vomiting.  
    When accompanied by diarrhea, vomiting can be a painful experience that would leave you exhausted. It also results in malnutrition and the patient experiences weight loss (not in a good way though). If you experience uncontrolled vomiting, report the matter to a physician to manage the condition.
    Bloating
    Since coeliac disease damages the small intestine, bloating is another common system. This is due to inflammation of the digestive tract. In a study with more than a 1,000 participants, almost 73% of the people reported bloating after ingesting gluten. 
    Bloating can be managed by eliminating gluten from the diet which is why a gluten-free diet is necessary for people suffering from celiac disease.
    Fatigue
    Constant feeling of tiredness and low energy levels is another common symptom associated with celiac disease. If you experience a lack of energy after in taking gluten, then you need to consult a physician to diagnose the condition. Now fatigue can also result from inefficient thyroid function, infections, and depression (a symptom of the coeliac disease). However, almost 51% of celiac patients suffer from fatigue in a study.
    Itchy Rash
    Now the chances of getting a rash after eating gluten are slim, but the symptom has been associated with celiac disease in the past. The condition can cause dermatitis herpetiformis, which causes a blistering skin rash that occurs around the buttocks, knees, and elbows. 
    A study found out that almost 17% of patients suffering from celiac disease might develop dermatitis herpetiformis due to lack of right treatment. Make sure you schedule an online appointment with your dermatologist or visit the nearest healthcare facility to prevent worsening of symptoms.
    Even with such common symptoms, diagnosing the condition is imperative for a quick recovery and to mitigate the long-term risks associated with celiac disease. 
    Sources:
    ncbi.nlm.nih.gov  Celiac.com ncbi.nlm.nih.gov  mendfamily.com