This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Embarrassed...

creid

debmidge Rising Star

Your co workers' ignorance is showing.

There are so many hard hearted people out there.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rusla Enthusiast

Creid--I am sorry that they were like that, how tacky and rude of your co-workers and boss. It's like they don't get that this is not a fad diet or a choice diet, it is a life and death diet.

I feel very lucky that my co-workers try to understand and are adult about this. For our Yule party they made sure the restaurant would do a gluten-free meal for me and a vegetarian one for the vegetarians.

Food day here can be a little tough but Tuesday of this week is food day. I am bringing taco chips and my famous gluten-free dip. Now, when we do food day everyone has taken to posting the ingredients for each item. That way the ones besides me who have dairy problems, the diabetics, the vegetarians and me, know exactly what is in each dish. There are many here who are diabetic and other medical problems.

I often make gluten-free cookies and bring them to work and everyone loves them or some other gluten-free dish. We try to have something that everyone can eat.

fisharefriendsnotfood Apprentice
Jackie - that is a good one! I'll file it away, though my new workplace is very supportive.

:)

Stephanie

Awww thanks.

:D

-Jackie

darkangel Rookie
...but I think I would try to keep some sort of stock answer for such people to the effect of "I hope you never have to deal with an illness that makes you feel painfully different and isolated from everyone else. But if you do, I hope no one ever treats you the way you just treated me".

Telling them you feel "painfully different and isolated" is basically admitting their rude, offensive behavior hit the mark. People that can say and do the things like this don't have any conscience and I doubt if you'll be able to shame them.

I think you're better off to either avoid the situation altogether, ignore the comments or laugh it off. Someone's always bringing in donuts, sweetrolls or birthday cake at my office. When the vultures are all gathered around the break table, I stay in my office. When someone sticks their head in to remind me "there's birthday cake out here... you better hurry and get some," I just smile, say thanks and keep on working.

jenvan Collaborator
I have been there, boy have I been there. I used to be the butt of everyone's jokes because of my brain fog and obesity. Now that I have energy and mental clarity they whine and gripe because they can't keep up with me. Whenever someone flops their gut up onto the donut table and say's, "Ha! Ha! you can't have one." or some other dumb-@ss remark I lift up my shirt, show them my abs and say, "Ha! Ha! you don't have these." I then show them a picture of my exceptionally attractive girlfreind and say "Ha! Ha! you don't have one of these." Stick to your guns and stay gluten free for it is you who will be healthy enough to have the last laugh.

Ha ha Ian! Your coworker stories always make me laugh :)

loraleena Contributor
First I must mention my co-workers are generally supportive about my newly required diet which is why this mornings events were so infuriating…..

My boss decided to surprise the staff with a full breakfast spread from Panera. She apologized that there was nothing for me. My co workers where toasting their bagels and gushing over the danish. I was ok (sort of), until somehow me and my diet became the topic of conversation, then the conversation turned into jokes which resulted in people offering and pushing food at me. I went to my office to let my embarrassment and anger settle when a coworker walked in with a smirk and offered to give me a few bucks to go buy a piece of fruit or “whatever it is you eat.”

I cant tell you how little I feel. It is hard enough to get use to this, now I have to worry about defending myself. Why do people have to make fun of what they don’t understand? I suppose they weren’t as supportive as I had thought.

That is a shame. Not everyone is like that. There was a cookie exchange at work today and of course I didn't eat any. One coworker though thought of me and made wheat free cookies. Unfortunealty she used barley so they were still out for me. But how nice of her to make the effort.

Guest BERNESES

I like Lori's answer:

"I would try to keep some sort of stock answer for such people to the effect of "I hope you never have to deal with an illness that makes you feel painfully different and isolated from everyone else. But if you do, I hope no one ever treats you the way you just treated me".

And Ian's is pretty funny too! That would be awesome depending on your company.

Creid- Frankly, I taught middle school and I wouldn't even tolerate that behavior THERE never mind with adults. Best plan of attack- ignore them, bring your own delicious, aromatic food every luncheon/metting you go to and DO NOT share. Just sit there, smile and make yummy noises (like Sally did when she faked her orgasm in a restaurant in "When Harry Met Sally") :rolleyes:

Regarding the email- people like that are best ignored. Addressing them just gives them more power. I'm telling you- just act like your food is orgasmic (and it probably is). That'll teach 'em. Rats!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast
Just sit there, smile and make yummy noises (like Sally did when she faked her orgasm in a restaurant in "When Harry Met Sally") :rolleyes:

I like that one. I will definitely have to do this at least once :lol: . What a blast!!!

And the one with showing your stomache muscles. I like this one, too. This alone makes me workout for belly muscles alone :lol: . Ha!

Archived