This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Endoscopy tomorrow

jen22

jen22 Apprentice

Hi everyone.  I just received my labwork and my gastro scheduled an endoscopy for tomorrow to diagnose if I have celiac.

My bloodwork showed:
Antigliadin Antibody - IGA - High (>100, normal <20)

Antigliadin Antibody - IGG - High (59, normal >20)

Tissue Transglutaminase Antibody - IGA - Detected

However, endomysial antibody screen (IGA) andimmunoglobulin A were normal.

I have been living with Type I diabetes and Hashimotos for some time (T1 for 24 years, Hashi for 5) and for most of the past year I have been for the most part following a gluten free, low carb diet.  I just reintroduced gluten regularly about a month ago for this test.  I have chronic rashes and what was previously thought to be "IBS" symptoms, headaches, fatigue, which is why I started the testing.

I guess I am just introducing myself as I am a little overwhelmed right now.  Do you know how long it takes after the endoscopy to have a confirmed diagnosis?  Should that even matter?  My doctor wants me to go on a strict gluten free diet immediately after the procedure just in case.  I feel much better when I am not eating it, so I will go back to eating that way again, but it would be good to know.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Over 100 usually means you have Celiac.  Even if the doctor doesn't biopsy correctly.  Usually, the biopsy results are 3-5 working days.  

jen22 Apprentice

Thank you - I had my endoscopy today and the doctor said he didn't see the telltale signs of celiac but he did biopsy. There were a number of other things he noted, like a polyp found in the fundus, and my stomach was very inflamed.    

He said to start a gluten free diet right away anyway.  It is hard not to get ahead of myself and wonder about the results and if they come back negative.   

cyclinglady Grand Master

My endoscopy visually looked good.  My biopsies revealed damaged villi.  So, you just need to wait for the pathologist’s report.  

PK-432 Explorer

I agree with cyclinglady,  straight away go for strict gluten free diet as your increased levels of blood show celiac disease and also go for gene test to get confirm diagnosis if biopsy comes negative or even positive.  It will confirm your diagnosis.  Best of luck 

cyclinglady Grand Master

I wanted to add that after being diagnosed with celiac disease, I started having a lot of GI symptoms (stomach pinching, reflux, nausea, etc).  I thought for sure it was celiac disease-related as my antibodies (DGP IgA were very elevated and were not coming down).  I went on the Fasano diet, but no improvement.  Finally, I caved and had a repeat endoscopy.  My small intestine was healthy.  But I had a stomach polyp like you and inflammation.  The pathologist’s report stated that I had Chronic Autoimmune Gastritis which in my research is strongly linked to Hashimoto’s (which I have and those antibodies were very elevated too). I also experienced six months of chronic autoimmune hives, again linked to Hashi’s.   I can say that everything is back to normal and my Gastritis is not flaring and those hives are gone!  I strongly think all my AI issues are linked.  Trigger one (say a gluten exposure) and the others are set off.  It is one reason I am so careful or obsessed about avoiding gluten.  

Open Original Shared Link

Archived