This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I have questions

Lynh1

Lynh1 Newbie

So im being sent for testing for celiac. Everytime i eat wheat or certain grains i bloat and look 6 months pregnant. It also happens when i eat peanuts and  rice beans and lentils.

I tested positive for low igE it stands at 2. I have mild asthma and excema. I was reading about igE related wheat allergies but i dont fit into that catergory. No breathing issues when i eat gluten products grains peanuts and beans lentils just severe bloating and pain issues. 

Does anyone else have this problem?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tessa25 Rising Star

Make sure you get the full celiac panel done so there are no uncertainties with the results. Be strong about this.

The full celiac panel includes:

TTG IGA
TTG IGG
DGP IGA
DGP IGG
EMA
IGA

You have to be eating gluten daily for 12 weeks before the blood test. A positive on any one blood test should lead to a gastroenterologist doing an endoscopy/biopsies to confirm a celiac diagnosis.

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Lynh1,

Celiac disease can cause irritation and damage to the lining of the small intestine.  That can cause poor digestion and many digestive symptoms.  Sometimes people develop additional food intolerances beyond just gluten too.  These additional food intolerances can be permanent or temporary.

Bloating, gas, pain, C and D are typical symptoms.  If the damage goes on long enough, mal-nourishment can occur.  When the gut is irritated already, any food can cause symptoms to flare.

Ennis-TX Grand Master

I have seen celiacs get that distended look from eating wheat, you might also consider that with the damaged gut you have food sensitivites or a intolerance. The things you mentioned are common ones along with dairy, soy, and in some cases nightshades, spices, onions, garlic, and even carbs/sugars. The damaged gut could have also allowed either or both SIBO and Candida which can cause bloating and distention with carbs/sugars as they ferment and break them down into gasses.

Along with the full celiac panel and endoscope you might also ask for a colonoscopy while you in there so you only have to go under once. This could find issues in the large intestines like UC, or a overgrowth.

Do keep a food diary for now, you might see if a good all round digestive enzyme helps like silverfern enzymes. Or a good probiotic.

To limit bloat, and check for things other then celiac, I might suggest going to a low carb keto/atkins diet or at least a paleo diet. No carbs, grains, beans, dairy, etc will eliminate the bloat. Ketosummit has some nice recipes, just make sure your eating at least a slice of bread, a few wheat thins, or a tsp or two of vital wheat gluten a day for testing purposes.

James S. Newbie

Be careful of the products you are eating.  Almost all nuts are cross contaminated because they are processed with other nuts, and tree nuts.  There is cross contamination during processing.  

Wellbee's Nuts:  Regardless of their advertisement the nuts sold to me were processed in a facility that may contain gluten.  Meaning they nuts are now no good for those with Celiac.

Ice Creams:  most general ice cream producers clean their stainless steel machines each day. Vanilla is usually the first morning run.  Even though the ice machines are clean there may be gluten from cookies and cream hidden somewhere.  They are not gluten free.  

kareng Grand Master
5 minutes ago, James S. said:

Be careful of the products you are eating.  Almost all nuts are cross contaminated because they are processed with other nuts, and tree nuts.  There is cross contamination during processing.  

Wellbee's Nuts:  Regardless of their advertisement the nuts sold to me were processed in a facility that may contain gluten.  Meaning they nuts are now no good for those with Celiac.

Ice Creams:  most general ice cream producers clean their stainless steel machines each day. Vanilla is usually the first morning run.  Even though the ice machines are clean there may be gluten from cookies and cream hidden somewhere.  They are not gluten free.  

If you are not allergic to a particular nut, being processed with other nuts should not be an issue. 

Processing in a facility that has wheat is not usually a problem unless its a bakery with flour flying in the air.  Grocery stores are "shared facilities".  So if that worries you, you might want to contact the manufacturer and find out what they mean.  sometimes it just means that they have gluten on 1 machine in another section of the plant or even another building.  

IF ice cream machines in factories cannot be cleaned well enough to remove bits of cookies, then they will be closed down by the health department.  Not being able to get sugar, milk, etc out of a machine will lead to food poisoning.  

Ennis-TX Grand Master
1 hour ago, James S. said:

Try Nuts.com for gluten free nuts most trust them (although they have peanut contamination issues). I get my almonds straight from a farm in cali that only handles almonds, and use them exclusively in my bakery and my almond butters I sell. I found Trader Joes to be a good source for hazelnuts, cashews, pecans, and hamon is great for black walnuts (stronger flavor then normal ones). I have other sources for pistachios, and plain walnuts.

-_- Have you seen the ice cream and Popsicle list I posted the other day, even tells you which ones are 100% dedicated gluten free. ALTHOUGH most celiacs should avoid dairy at first til they heal, and some will always have issues with it. With the damaged villi the enzymes that are used to break down dairy are not available in the amounts needed and will cause lactose intolerance. https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/122038-ice-cream-and-popsicles/

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Posterboy Mentor
11 hours ago, Ennis_TX said:

as they ferment and break them down into gasses.

23 hours ago, Lynh1 said:

So im being sent for testing for celiac. Everytime i eat wheat or certain grains i bloat and look 6 months pregnant. It also happens when i eat peanuts and  rice beans and lentils.

I tested positive for low igE it stands at 2. I have mild asthma and excema. I was reading about igE related wheat allergies but i dont fit into that catergory. No breathing issues when i eat gluten products grains peanuts and beans lentils just severe bloating and pain issues. 

Does anyone else have this problem?

Lynh1,

I agree with a lot of what Ennis_Tx said.

I have seen celiacs get that distended look from eating wheat, . . ..

(Carbs/Sugars) as they ferment and break them down into gasses

If you have extensive bloating this (it) can be from your stomach acid being too low already.

Here is an article about it.

Open Original Shared Link

And see this thread about undigested food that talks about some of the same issues but mainly dealing with fats that get/go through undigested for many of the same reasons.

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/122218-undigested-foods/?tab=comments#comment-994821

Carbs (grains) ferment and fats become rancid (and peanuts) have high fats and an adequate amount of carbs/sugars in the same food too together to cause both issues in the same food.

I hope this is helpful.

****this is not medical advice just things I have learned from studying stomach acid issues  and  learning my stomach acid had become too low.

2 Timothy 2:7 Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things.

Posterboy by the Grace of God

Archived