This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Soap, Shampoo, Make-up

nathela

nathela Rookie

My lipstick has gluten!! No news for most of you, whom know how much beauty products can be curse for beautiful ladies like us. Can you give me any names of brands which carry gluten-free make-up, soap, and shampoo? Thanks, :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

frenchiemama Collaborator

I like Burt's Bees stuff for personal care (peppermint body soap, carrot lotion, hand salve), and I use Bare Minerals makeup.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I use only Pantene on my hair--my hair is below my waist now and very thick--it takes special care and Pantene works well, I cant think of the name right now, but that Aussie product, One Minute Hair treatment is gluten-free--suave is gluten-free------for body wash I use Softsoap, I havent found one containing gluten yet, Suave is good too--I use Lady's Speedstick deodorant, have used Suave, Secret, and Lady's Choice--they say most toothpastes are gluten-free, I always use Gleem and yes, I know many of you have never heard of it, been around since I was little--I dont wear make-up, my skin is so sensitive--easier to just not use it. Hope this helps! Deb

By the way--I thought Burt's Bees products contained gluten--I have some Burts Bees Coconut Foot Creme and it contains oat kernel protein--I havent been brave enough to try it! Deb

jenvan Collaborator

good for you cking into your products! i had to get rid of a ton when i went gluten-free. here is a list of what i use now, below:

I definitely recommend Aubrey Organic products (fav is the Rosa Mosqueta shampoo). Just be sure to ck ingredients, I think most of the shampoos are gluten-free, but not the conditioners. They have lotions too. But as I said, call and ck if you are unsure on a product. They've always been helpful to me via phone. <a href="Open Original Shared Link target="external ugc nofollow"></a>

There is also Giovanni Hair Care products--their entire line is organic and gluten-free. (Even their Golden Wheat Shampoo--it actually has no wheat in it!) They have gel, mousse, hairspray, shampoo, conditioner etc. You can buy them online or at a natural Wild Oats type grocery store. Good stuff ! Open Original Shared Link

For body washes, shampoo, bubble bath, sunscreen, conditioner, face lotion--another good line is california baby. Their entire line is gluten-free! Open Original Shared Link

For lotions I use a few from Burt's bees (ck their gluten-free list) or Tropical Traditions—all gluten-free (prefer them). Open Original Shared Link All tropical traditions lotions are gluten-free.

For my face wash, face lotion etc I use Juice Beauty. www.juicebeauty.com or www.sephora.com

For chapstick and skin balm I use badger products--all their products are gluten-free. Open Original Shared Link

For nail polish I use honeybee gardens: Open Original Shared Link

For deoderant, floss and toothpaste I use Tom's of Maine. See their gluten-free product list online. Their orange flavored toothpastes are not gluten-free. Open Original Shared Link

For makeup I use Bare Escentuals all their make up products are gluten-free. Not the MD skin care line though. I buy from www.sephora.com

DonnaD Apprentice
good for you cking into your products! i had to get rid of a ton when i went gluten-free. here is a list of what i use now, below:

I have started looking into this too, I have just chucked out a shampoo that made my head itch like mad, has anyone else in the UK done this allready and if so is there a list somewhere or is it a company by company e-mail & phone call challenge for January for me? :lol:

My otherhalf is getting a bit worried about the time I spend on the computer these days investigating, (I had shoulder surgery) but I told him it took me 42 years to get this ill so gettting better isn't going to happen overnight without a lot of research! My daughter is SO much better that it is worth it.

jenvan Collaborator

Donna-

My dh calls me an internet nerd now since I spend so much time here on the forum and other places ;) But the time for researching is worth it, as you said!

aaascr Apprentice
I like Burt's Bees stuff for personal care (peppermint body soap, carrot lotion, hand salve), and I use Bare Minerals makeup.

Be careful because not all of Burt's Bees products are gluten-free.

They emailed me a list of gluten-free items and then a "stay away

from" list too.

I don't have it with me (am @ work) otherwise

I'd include it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

If you find that you are sensitive to products because of cross contamination, as I do, I would suggest The Gluten Free Savonerie (www.gfsoap.com). Personally, I do better with products made in a gluten-free facility. Its taken me months of trial and error to realize this. The same thing with food products. Its an individual choice, of course, and we all tolerate things differently. I recently tried a few things from California Baby--I liked them very much. I was always a product junkie before, and I needed a little gluten-free variety :)

Jen--my husband says the same thing about me, too!

jenvan Collaborator

here is burt's bee's non-gluten-free list, below. bridge tried their products and said due to CC she has a reaction. i have only used the products rarely. in my above post--several of the brands have completely gluten-free lines--i went back up and made sure i marked which ones have all gluten-free products.

Hi Jen,

Thank you for contacting Burt's Bees. Our lip shimmers and Shea Butter Hand Repair Crème are gluten free.

The Quality Resources Department Manager has put together a list of products that are "restricted" and should be avoided by Celiac and Gluten patients.

For Celiac Patients - Gluten Restricted:

Products Containing Wheat, Oat, Rye & Barley Derived Ingredients.

Please AVOID these products:

Baby Bee:

Apricot Baby Oil (Wheat)

Buttermilk Soap (Oat)

Shampoo Bar (Oat)

Healthy Skin:

Avocado Hair Butter Treatment (Oat)

Carrot Day Crème (Wheat)

Carrot Night Crème (Wheat)

Citrus Facial Scrub (Oat)

Coconut Foot Crème (Oat)

Orange Essence Cleansing Crème (Oat)

Vitamin E Bath & Body Oil (Wheat)

Healthy Treatment:

Repair Serum (Wheat)

Men's Grooming:

Bay Rum Aftershave Balm (Oat)

Natural Remedy:

Dr. Burt's Res-Q Ointment or Comfrey Salve (Wheat)

Poison Ivy Soap (Oat)

Rosemary Mint Shampoo Bar (Oat)

Peppermint Foot Lotion (Wheat)

Hand and Foot:

Peppermint Foot Lotion (Wheat)

tiffjake Enthusiast
My lipstick has gluten!! No news for most of you, whom know how much beauty products can be curse for beautiful ladies like us. Can you give me any names of brands which carry gluten-free make-up, soap, and shampoo? Thanks, :)

I use Bare Minerals and Glo Minerals. I love them both! I can't believe how many of my old products had gluten in them in some form. Even my mascara!!!!! I would go to a bare minerals store or a glo minerals sales location to try things before buying them if I were you. I have had some trial and error since I have neither near me. You can search for bare mineral stores at www.bareminerals.com and I buy my glo minerals from whole foods in austin now (about an hour a way). As far as shampoo, I just started using the beautiful brunette stuff....can't remember the maker, john freida? But I just read the label and it looks good to me, but I am no pro at this.....Good Luck!!!!!!

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I use Dove shampoo, conditioner, hairspray, barsoap, and sometimes lotion(I try to go with more natural brands alot of the time)

Burt's Bees has alot of good gluten-free makeups

Giovanni products are great

Bare Escentuals makeup I use alot and is wonderful

CoverGirl has alot of gluten-free products too

If you would like I can send you some lists that would help with products.

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Kaiti--A quick question--the Giovanni line contains a lot of soy. Do you think that would be a problem for someone (me) that is sensitive to soy?

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

well are you sensitive to it on your skin or just eating it?

jerseyangel Proficient

As far as I know, just eating it. The reason I ask is that I am very sensitive to gluten in products--even CC products. I've never heard of anyone not using a topical product for other than gluten. The Giovanni line is, as I understand gluten-free and is easily available here. The health food store here in my little town carries it.

Archived