• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

I recently had an iga test completed and my doctor is out of town and I am unable to get my results back for to weeks. Every article i have read is just more confusing and I am not sure how to interpret these my results. Can any one help?

IgA TOTAL 129 82 - 453 mg/dL

Hi April,

Your result is a measure of total or serum IgA.  The total IgA test is done because some people don't make IgA at all or very little IgA.  So for those people the regular anti-gliaden IgA tests are meaningless.  Your total IgA test at value at 129 is within the normal range of people who do make IgA type antibodies.  So any IgA tests you get done should show valid results.

The tests that check for a reaction to gliaden are DGP IgA, DGP IgG, EMA, and ttg IgA.  Those are the ones you would look at it to determine if you are making anti-gliaden antibodies. Gliaden is a protein in wheat.

Edited by GFinDC

3 hours ago, April Reed said:

I recently had an iga test completed and my doctor is out of town and I am unable to get my results back for to weeks. Every article i have read is just more confusing and I am not sure how to interpret these my results. Can any one help?

IgA TOTAL 129 82 - 453 mg/dL

Like gluten-free said - that is not a test to see if you have Celiac.  It’s usually not done by itself- so maybe the rest of the test panel hasn’t been posted yet?

57 minutes ago, April Reed said:

So is there a separate test for the DGP IgA, DGP IgG, EMA, and ttg IgA reactions? The Doctor did not request the correct one?

April 

Hi April,

Yes, they are separate tests.  The most common test done is the ttg IgA screening test.   But the complete celiac disease test panel includes all the other tests too.  Some people only react on one type of test and not others.  So it is best to get the complete celiac panel done.  My guess is you didn't get the complete test results.  The total IgA by itself is not much use.  Maybe the doctor's office or the lab failed to provide the complete result listing.

Edited by GFinDC