This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

One can of cola will wipe out half of your body's magnesium

BuddhaBar

BuddhaBar Collaborator

All of you magnesium deficient celiacs out there, stay away from cola! Even the diet ones. I've developed quite a Pepsi Max habit after going gluten free. I'm also deficient in magnesium and have been trying to find out why. It can't be the food I eat. I eat fish, bananas and nuts everyday and I'm pretty healed. Now I know what the culprit is. Yep, Pepsi Max!

Just one can contains 150 mg of phosphoric acid. Phosphoric acid is the antagonist of magnesium which means one can of cola will wipe out 150 mg of the body's magnesium. That's about half of the recommended daily magnesium intake for a woman. Two cans, all of my daily magnesium intake is gone. 

So no more Pepsi Max or any kind of cola! Stay away from it if you are deficient. If you can't stay way from it, take magnesium supplements afterwards. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master

I know carbs/sugars force your body to burn through it, and I know stress both physical and mental can up the the amount you need. Years later I still supplement,

• 4 weeks later...
Felix Nuts Tomcat Apprentice

Soda pop wipes me out.  I believe it is also caramel color in it that gives me problems too.  I get rashes on my scalp from drinking soda pop.

knitty kitty Grand Master

High fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is really bad for you!  HFCS has to be processed through the liver just like alcohol.  This processing in the liver requires lots of thiamine.  Processing sugars and carbohydrates requires lots of thiamine, too.  When the liver runs low on thiamine, instead of turning HFCS into energy, the HFCS is stored as fat in the liver which is the beginning of Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD).    NAFLD and other liver disorders are often accompanied by skin rashes including rashes on the scalp. And, yes, thiamine needs magnesium to function properly, so supplementing thiamine and magnesium together is a great idea.

Fructose and NAFLD:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4405421/

Added sugars and increased vitamin demands:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4975866/

Thiamine and magnesium supplementation reversed my previously diagnosed Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease.  My doctor was surprised to say the least.  

Hope this helps! 

Felix Nuts Tomcat Apprentice

HFCS in me causes Dumping Syndrome.  My body cannot cope with it.  My issues with HFCS is what led doctors toward the celiac diagnosis. 

Fenrir Community Regular

Not saying diet soda is good for you but I really doubt that there's any science showing that one can of soda would have the affect on magnesium levels. If it did people would be hospitalized regularly for over drinking soda. 

I may be one of many factors that affect magnesium levels but one soda on it's own isn't harmful to anyone. Perhaps if you're drinking several cans/bottles a day it could be a problem but one per day or a few per week probably would make very little difference. 

knitty kitty Grand Master

Yeah, but sodas are like potato chips, you can't have just one.  If someone is drinking sodas regularly and consuming some magnesium in their diet, it may be a  gradual process, like two steps forward and one step back, where a gradual subclinical deficiency progressively worsens over time.  Magnesium is stored in bones and tissue.  Depletions of these stores might not be reflected accurately in blood levels of magnesium.  

Found an interesting article on magnesium and soda.....

https://www.ancient-minerals.com/drinking-soda-can-deplete-necessary-minerals/

And another article about aspartame.....

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28198207-neurophysiological-symptoms-and-aspartame-what-is-the-connection/

Hey, BuddhaBar, do you think the aspartame was causing your insomnia?

Here's a screening test used by the World Health Organization for screening people with low thiamine levels:

Can you stand up from a squat?

People who can't raise themselves from a squat to a standing position may need thiamine.

Hope this helps! 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fenrir Community Regular

Yes, if you drank a lot of soda for a long time and you're already having problems with magnesium levels to start with it could be a problem. Also, most people what drink a lot of soda eat poorly.

My point is having a cola a day isn't likely going to be a significant problem for most people. It's a multi faceted problem that includes, celiac disease, soda, poor diet..ect.

Likely not a problem if you are eating gluten-free+ healthy diet. I would definitely recommend newly diagnosed Celiacs reduce soda while they're healing up but for people that are healed and gluten-free and eat healthy otherwise soda is pretty harmless to magnesium levels.  

• 2 years later...
Lboisvert Rookie
On 2/7/2020 at 12:37 AM, knitty kitty said:

High fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is really bad for you!  HFCS has to be processed through the liver just like alcohol.  This processing in the liver requires lots of thiamine.  Processing sugars and carbohydrates requires lots of thiamine, too.  When the liver runs low on thiamine, instead of turning HFCS into energy, the HFCS is stored as fat in the liver which is the beginning of Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD).    NAFLD and other liver disorders are often accompanied by skin rashes including rashes on the scalp. And, yes, thiamine needs magnesium to function properly, so supplementing thiamine and magnesium together is a great idea.

Fructose and NAFLD:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4405421/

Added sugars and increased vitamin demands:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4975866/

Thiamine and magnesium supplementation reversed my previously diagnosed Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease.  My doctor was surprised to say the least.  

Hope this helps! 

We drink the real sugar Pepsi it's a good substitute if you need the caffeine boost, my husband has gout and can't have the HFCS and I figured since I am eating healthy I should avoid it as well :)