This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Long From First Visit To Actual Biopsy?

flampton

flampton Rookie

Hey for all those that have been biopsied,

How long did it take from initial visit to your gastroenterologist to the actual day of the biopsy?

I have been consuming a lot of gluten to try and get a diagnosis, but if the GI doc schedules me for like april or something, I couldn't even come close to eating this way that long. Gluten messes with my GI a bit, but I seem to have more of the non classical symptoms such as depression, anxiety and wicked brain fog. Problem is I'm a scientist so continuing to eat this way messes with my job.

Also when you finally got to see a gastroenterologist did you have to start jumping through hoops again to get them to test you? Do I have to convince yet another doctor to precede with the testing? I'm relatively good at it since I can quote reviews and the primary literature back at the doctor but a lot of my docs seem to have gotten upset when I have clearly showed them(pleasantly) that their present knowledge was lacking. An unhappy doctor certainly doesn't breed a happy patient.

Every day I wonder if a diagnosis is even worth it. I think as of right now it would help psychologically with staying on the diet and dealing with the myriad of social situations that revolve around the staff of pain. Yet I would love to stop eating gluten today.

Eric

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Eric--It was on my inital visit to the GI that I got scheduled for my biopsy. I then had to wait 1 month--I also had a colonoscopy the same day, so maybe that's why the longer wait. Good luck at the Dr.--

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

Hi Eric -- I saw the GI doc on Thursday, got my antitranglutaminase and antiendomysial antibody tests drawn that day, and had my scope (I believe) the next Tuesday. Including the colonoscopy, too. (BTW: If they schedule both, they DON'T think it's funny if you ask them that if they're going to use the same tube, would they put it down your throat first.) . . . . Lynne

slpinsd Contributor

I had a double endo/colon at the same time, too. It was scheduled a few days later. They scheduled the lady before me 2 months later. But- I told her I was scheduled for surgery in a week (I was) adn that it was urgent. I ended up having to pay a little more out of pocket becuase it had to be at a different facility.

flampton Rookie

Thanks everone for replying

My doctor finally forwarded my file to the gasteroenterologist. Which means tomorrow I can schedule my appt. I'll let everyone know how it goes. I think I'll be upfront and basically tell them the truth. That if they can't schedule me in a reasonable amount of time I will probably be gluten free at the time of the biopsy.

One other question- it seems that everyone also received a colonoscopy. Was this pertinent to the Celiac diagnosis or was this to investigate for Crohn's or colitis?

Thanks

Eric

floridanative Community Regular

I saw my first GI in Sept. '05 but he made me have the colon test first in Oct. Then he wanted me to have the endoscopy in early Dec. I was in denial that I could have such an odd condition at the time (and I felt good eating gluten every day) so I put the endoscopy off until Jan 11th. I wished now I hadn't waited the extra month but I only have myself to blame. Good luck to you and please tell the doc to take 6 to 8 biopsies. Most only take 2 or 3 but this is not sufficient for correct results.

flampton Rookie

Well I made my appt today and it sucks

The receptionist said the first available appt for new patients was March 28th

This is a lot longer than I wanted to wait, like I was hoping for next week, or even the week after that

I guess this means I'm going to have to go without a diagnosis because I just don't see the point in continuing to eat gluten when I know that it is causing my problems

Has anyone gone to the gastroenterologist gluten free? What do they say?

Thanks

Eric

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived