• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

flampton

How Long From First Visit To Actual Biopsy?

Rate this topic

Hey for all those that have been biopsied,

How long did it take from initial visit to your gastroenterologist to the actual day of the biopsy?

I have been consuming a lot of gluten to try and get a diagnosis, but if the GI doc schedules me for like april or something, I couldn't even come close to eating this way that long. Gluten messes with my GI a bit, but I seem to have more of the non classical symptoms such as depression, anxiety and wicked brain fog. Problem is I'm a scientist so continuing to eat this way messes with my job.

Also when you finally got to see a gastroenterologist did you have to start jumping through hoops again to get them to test you? Do I have to convince yet another doctor to precede with the testing? I'm relatively good at it since I can quote reviews and the primary literature back at the doctor but a lot of my docs seem to have gotten upset when I have clearly showed them(pleasantly) that their present knowledge was lacking. An unhappy doctor certainly doesn't breed a happy patient.

Every day I wonder if a diagnosis is even worth it. I think as of right now it would help psychologically with staying on the diet and dealing with the myriad of social situations that revolve around the staff of pain. Yet I would love to stop eating gluten today.

Eric

Hi Eric--It was on my inital visit to the GI that I got scheduled for my biopsy. I then had to wait 1 month--I also had a colonoscopy the same day, so maybe that's why the longer wait. Good luck at the Dr.--

Hi Eric -- I saw the GI doc on Thursday, got my antitranglutaminase and antiendomysial antibody tests drawn that day, and had my scope (I believe) the next Tuesday. Including the colonoscopy, too. (BTW: If they schedule both, they DON'T think it's funny if you ask them that if they're going to use the same tube, would they put it down your throat first.) . . . . Lynne

I had a double endo/colon at the same time, too. It was scheduled a few days later. They scheduled the lady before me 2 months later. But- I told her I was scheduled for surgery in a week (I was) adn that it was urgent. I ended up having to pay a little more out of pocket becuase it had to be at a different facility.

Thanks everone for replying

My doctor finally forwarded my file to the gasteroenterologist. Which means tomorrow I can schedule my appt. I'll let everyone know how it goes. I think I'll be upfront and basically tell them the truth. That if they can't schedule me in a reasonable amount of time I will probably be gluten free at the time of the biopsy.

One other question- it seems that everyone also received a colonoscopy. Was this pertinent to the Celiac diagnosis or was this to investigate for Crohn's or colitis?

Thanks

Eric

I saw my first GI in Sept. '05 but he made me have the colon test first in Oct. Then he wanted me to have the endoscopy in early Dec. I was in denial that I could have such an odd condition at the time (and I felt good eating gluten every day) so I put the endoscopy off until Jan 11th. I wished now I hadn't waited the extra month but I only have myself to blame. Good luck to you and please tell the doc to take 6 to 8 biopsies. Most only take 2 or 3 but this is not sufficient for correct results.

Well I made my appt today and it sucks

The receptionist said the first available appt for new patients was March 28th

This is a lot longer than I wanted to wait, like I was hoping for next week, or even the week after that

I guess this means I'm going to have to go without a diagnosis because I just don't see the point in continuing to eat gluten when I know that it is causing my problems

Has anyone gone to the gastroenterologist gluten free? What do they say?

Thanks

Eric

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Top Posters +

• Upcoming Events

• April 17, 2019 Until April 27, 2019
      April 17-27, 2020   For the past few years many of you have asked us to arrange a River Boat Cruise that will allow us to visit Amsterdam's famous Keukenhof Gardens at its prime time of the blossoming of the millions of Tulips and Hyacinths - alongside the windmills of the Netherlands.  With the participation of a minimum of 20 persons we have arranged an All-Inclusive Cruise from Antwerp to Amsterdam.  This cruise will not be offered to the public until January, 2019 and always sells out quickly.   THERE WILL BE NO MONEY REQUIRED NOR COMMITMENT FROM YOU until we have all the final costs and details.  If you are at all interested check out our website for as many of the details that we have as of this time.   We need your request to be placed on a list of interested participants so we can present that number to Uniworld to show we have the sincere interest in this All-Inclusive Bob & Ruth's Gluten-free Cruise.   PLEASE CHECK OUT OUR WEBSITE FOR THE DETAILED INFORMATION THAT WE HAVE AS OF THIS TIME.   http://bobandruths.com
    • April 24, 2019 04:00 PM Until 08:00 AM

Celiac Emotional Healing Support Group

Again you are invited to join Johnny Patout, LCSW for Baton Rouge's first emotional healing support group meeting to assist those living with celiac disease manage the emotional challenges so many of us face. Most often the emotional disturbances include depression, disinterest in normal activities, insomnia, grief, mood changes, anxiety, inability to concentrate, extreme concern about managing a gluten-free lifestyle and other emotional and behavioral challenges.

The professionals at Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center created the emotional healing support group to give us a safe place to begin to process our emotions and support each other as we heal emotionally while managing celiac disease and the resulting autoimmune disorders.

The emotional healing support group meets every Thursday, 6:00-7:00pm, at the Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center of Baton Rouge. Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center is located at 4637 Jamestown Avenue, Baton Rouge, Suite B-1. Suite B-1 is upstairs.

The support group is free and open everyone managing celiac disease. For more information: emotionalhealingforceliacs@hotmail.com
    • May 04, 2019 Until May 05, 2019
      Nourished Festival is a family-friendly event with 10 locations across the US. Attendees will be able to sample food, health and beauty products, meet with companies, learn about the most current food lifestyles, receive coupons and attend educational sessions with industry experts. 
      Nourished Festival, managed by The Nourished Group and presented by Enjoy Life Foods, is the largest gluten-free, allergy-friendly and specialty diet event in the US, with 10 locations including.
      ABOUT THE NOURISHED FESTIVALS
      Managed by The Nourished Group, formerly The Gluten Free Media Group, The Nourished Festivals are the largest and fastest growing special diet consumer events in the United States. Started in 2007, the events have expanded from one to ten cities throughout the country. The festivals cater to anyone looking to lead a healthier lifestyle or those who follow a specialty diet due to autoimmune conditions, food sensitivities, allergies or intolerances. Offerings including Paleo, Keto, Plant-Based, Gluten-Free, Allergen-Friendly and Nut-Free products. The events provide the opportunity for attendees to sample and purchase new products, receive coupons, meet with brand ambassadors and attend educational classes with industry experts. For more information, visit http://www.nourishedfestival.com