Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest atlchris

Atlanta Ga, Anyone Else?

Guest atlchris

I'm new to the site and looking to meet some fellow celiacs. I was diagnosed in May 2005. My sister and dad were recently diagnosed as well, June 2005 and Nov. 2004 respectively. We're a whole family of celiacs!

I'm a student in Atlanta and look forward to meeting you!

-Chris

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I am in Midtown ATL with celiac. I know there are others here too, some are in Marietta. Welcome. Check with some of the others, but there is a local support group too (I've been very bad and haven't gone, but would like to at some point myself).

The temple bell stops

but the sound keeps coming

out of the flowers

-Zen Haiku Master Basho

Join eNewsletter

Welcome! There are a couple of support groups that meet in person here. Two are informational seminar type meetings. I've only been to the one in Cobb County but there is a group in Gwinnett as well. I'll try and find out if they have a website...I forgot how I joined. I think the Cobb meetings (4/yr) are free and the Gwinnett meetings (6/yr) are $10 per year. I'll post back later when I find out how you can contact the groups.

But, if you want to find out how to eat out safely out and about town, go to www.meetup.com/celiac and they are just a group of fellow Atlantans that meeting once a month at different restaurants to eat safe meals. They accomplish two things - (1) they educated rest. owners/chefs as to how to serve gluten free meals safely and (2) they share with each other which places they've dined at successfully and which ones to avoid. Good luck to you!

Dx'd with anemia - March 2005

Positive blood tests - Sept. 2005

Positive biopsy - Jan. 2006

Gluten free since 1-23-06

Join eNewsletter

Guest atlchris

It's great to meet all of you! I haven't gone to any restaurants yet, still very paranoid about cross-contamination, so I would definately like to get in touch with the support groups. My sister and father have ventured out to restaurants and have had good and bad experiences. We know of a couple that have gluten free menus, but I can't remember off the top of my head.

Join eNewsletter

Guest nini

I had a really nice experience at the Sheakspeare Tavern, when I called they were very aware of Celiac and the gluten free diet and were able to tell me precisely what I could eat while I was enjoying my play... very very nice experience, highly reccommended.

Join eNewsletter

atlchris - google meetup.com/celiac and you should find the group that meets once a month to dine out and share info on how to do so safely. You do not have to attend each outing in order to join and there is no sign up fee. There seems to be a $2 fee that you pay the group's facilitator when you do attend the outing. Since I haven't gone to a dinner yet (will do so next month), I have no idea really what this fee is for. I think it's for the internet site company (meetup.com) which is a for profit site. All dot.com companies are such.

Join eNewsletter

I'm in Atlanta as well, Midtown area. I wish I had been diagnosed back in college, when I first started going to the doctor for my "stomach issues" instead of over a decade later!

Joy- Midtown Atlanta

Positive Fecal Test Results 6/05

Gluten, Lactose, Casein Intolerant

Severe Fat Malabsorption

Gluten-Free since 6/05

Join eNewsletter

Guest atlchris

Nisla, I'll have to keep that place in mind, especially for dates, cause its tough finding gluten free stuff I can do.

floridanative, is this what you are refering to: celiacdisease.meetup.com/11/ I'm going to have to check that out.

Thanks for the great info!

Yes, Joy, I am very lucky to have been diagnosed at a young age as I know many go unchecked for years.

Join eNewsletter

floridanative, is this what you are refering to: celiacdisease.meetup.com/11/ I'm going to have to check that out.

Yes - that's it! I can not wait to attend their dinner in March. It's at a restaurant somewhere in Duluth which is less than ten miles from my house.

Join eNewsletter

Wow what a ride...

My son lives in "Athens -

and we both dislike going

back and forth - I can't imagine

driving everyday with all of our "lovely"

traffic issues!

alicia

been gluten-free 4 yrs.

too many food allergies to list!

Join eNewsletter

I used to drive back and forth from Athens to Hot-lanta on the weekends to see my hubbie, now I am in ATL for good. No, the drive stinks. I hope they consider putting a rail in to connect the too. Sorry, kind of off topic.

The temple bell stops

but the sound keeps coming

out of the flowers

-Zen Haiku Master Basho

Join eNewsletter

Do you mind elaborating about the dinner regarding how many people were there, do they give everyone separate checks and so forth? I was trying to sign up for the March event but they have the same place listed as you went last night and I can't make it downtown on a weeknight so I hope the website just wasn't updated yet.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter