Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ellie's mom

Getting Enough Fiber?

Guest schmenge
Is anyone else dealing with issues about getting enough fiber? My daughter's doc told us she needs more fiber in her diet, and I was shocked to realize that she's not getting very much at all. Help!

Although you want to get the fiber from your regular foods she could try the Organic Fiber Bar. It is gluten-free and IMHO very good as well. Has 14 grams of fiber which is about 1/2 the daily need.

This may be helpful. I always have cooked brown rice in the refrigerator at all times. It is good with eggs and jimmy dean sausage, mexican food, breakfast, rice with beans and canned corn, stir fry, rice pudding (rice, cream, brown sugar, raisans) Salads with gluten-free dressing, fresh veggies, fruit, peanut butter with an apple. carotts with peanut butter, yoplait with homemade granola......

There are lots of options out there that a teenage could handle. Hope this is a start. Others will post.

Is anyone else dealing with issues about getting enough fiber? My daughter's doc told us she needs more fiber in her diet, and I was shocked to realize that she's not getting very much at all. Help!

Fiber naturally comes in many naturally gluten-free foods. Fruits, vegetables, gluten-free whole grains, and nuts/seeds are all excellent sources of fiber. So put some carrots in the brown and wild rice for dinner, have an orange or berries for dessert, and put some ground flax on your hot gluten-free brown rice cereal for breakfast. :-)

Apples with skins, brocolli steamed, prunes, brown rice and beans. Then like others said. Grinding flax and adding it on top of her other foods is a great idea.

Monica

Dried fruit and nuts are both good snack options with a decent amount of fiber.

I actually really like prunes...they're really sweet, like a big raisin. Your daughter might like those...