This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Who's Hypoglycemic?

zip2play

Ann1231 Enthusiast

hypoglycemic since childhood. didn't find the celiac until a few short years ago. gluten free helps both conditions for me and like others have said, protein makes a huge difference. I can not eat any meat but fish due to RA so I eat a lot of fish, some eggs, I use a protein powder, it all works out so far.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hungryforlife Apprentice

I found this whole thread so interesting. In September I had a basic blood test and my fasting blood sugar was 103 (which the dr. informed me that with the new guidelines was considered pre-diabetic?) In February, I had another basic blood test and my fasting blood sugar was 98 (which the nurse said was fine?)

I, like many of you, could not make it from breakfast to lunch (especially if I had oatmeal for breakfast) I would get dizzy and nauseated about two hours later.m the whole black out thing, I would have to leave where ever I was and go home.

After I stopped eating oatmeal. I do not get that as bad, but still occasionally if I wait to long to eat breakfast? But, my curiosity is that when I eat something sweet and carb-filled (like a donut, cake, or something) I will get extremely nauseated and dizzy and need to throw up, this will last the entire day and usually takes much antacids/acid reducer (like aciphex) to control it? This reaction is what brought me to the doctor to be tested in the first place?

I assumed it was from the gluten as well?

Clark Bent as Stupor-Man Contributor
I found this whole thread so interesting. In September I had a basic blood test and my fasting blood sugar was 103 (which the dr. informed me that with the new guidelines was considered pre-diabetic?) In February, I had another basic blood test and my fasting blood sugar was 98 (which the nurse said was fine?)

I, like many of you, could not make it from breakfast to lunch (especially if I had oatmeal for breakfast) I would get dizzy and nauseated about two hours later.m the whole black out thing, I would have to leave where ever I was and go home.

After I stopped eating oatmeal. I do not get that as bad, but still occasionally if I wait to long to eat breakfast? But, my curiosity is that when I eat something sweet and carb-filled (like a donut, cake, or something) I will get extremely nauseated and dizzy and need to throw up, this will last the entire day and usually takes much antacids/acid reducer (like aciphex) to control it? This reaction is what brought me to the doctor to be tested in the first place?

I assumed it was from the gluten as well?

I'm still trying to pinpoint things and am awaiting enterolab results but I never eat a meal or even snack with mostly carbs, especially in the morning.... in the past couple years, I've tried pancakes, donuts, waffles, a handful of things in the morning and rarely react positively... I'm not sure how much better I do later in the day with the same type of foods but I'll give them a shot as opposed to the morning..

I also had a fasting blood sugar of 104 recently, which surprised me.. I never was higher than 85 when I used to test myself a year or 2 ago in the morning before eating.. I just had another blood test yesterday so I'm going to see if the results are duplicated..

and the nurse probably told you the 98 was fine because it's inside the reference interval (according to my bloodwork, the reference interval is 65 - 99).... however, it's barely inside the interval and 103 is just outside so you might want to check with a doc about the tests... I don't know too much about fasting levels though

hungryforlife Apprentice

Thanks C Bent!

I just assumed that if you fasted for 12 hours your blood sugar should be low? And if your fasting blood sugar is high, and you add more sugars on top of it that it would go higher? I thought oatmeal would be a great choice, you know whole grain, complex carb and all....I didnt add anything to it as I prefered it with just a dash of cinnamon sugar. I have been doing this for about two and a half years (daily) that is how I knew something was wrong. The healthier my diet became (whole grains vs. processed ect.) the more ill I became. Now my stomach is so messed up that any processed foods make me ill.

It doesnt matter when I eat sweet cakey things though. I could have a piece of snack cake (like chocolate cake without icing) every evening and after about the fourth day I would become ill. The more processed the quicker I react? This week I had two toaster strudels on Monday, and then two on Tuesday and after I ate them on Tuesday I became sick, nauseated, and dizzy again. I am just now recovering from that. But, I could eat a handful of Mini-Reese's PB cups or M&M's every day and not get ill? Also, I made a batch of gluten free brownies this week and have had one everyday and not had a reaction to them at all!

And no, I don't usually eat like this, just gorging on gluten in anticipation of my GI visit Wednesday. Actually, I will have to find a new way of eating at breakfast after I get tested.

wolfie Enthusiast

I have not been diganosed with hypoglycemia, but do get the dizzy/sweaty/tingly feeling usually in the AM about 3 hours after breakfast. I was tested about 6 years back, but my fasting blood sugar level was fine...it is after I eat that I have the issue. It is getting better gluten-free, but it is still an issue on some days. Orange juice is a quick fix for me. I also try to eat more protein for snacks/breakfast to prevent that from happening to begin with.

• 2 weeks later...
specialdiets Newbie

I have had hypoglycemia since being a teenager. It wasn't so bad at first, but got worse as I got older. I've been gluten free for 5 years and it hasn't seemed to improve. What's worse is that I am on a beta-blocker for some heart problem and it makes the hypoglycemia worse.

I basically eat 6 small meals a day - about 350 calories every 3 hours. And I never eat a carb without a protein. Also I do not eat any sugar whatsoever, with the exception of bananas. I know they are sugary, but not as bad as soda or cane sugar. If I am having an episode I will grab a banana and a hot dog or turkey burger - whatever protein I've got around. I have to eat before going to bed and right when I wake up usually. Ive gotten into a habit of making a few sandwiches every day and keeping them in the fridge for those emergencies. I never go out without taking something, especially since I am a Celiac and can't stop at just any restaurant for a snack.

While most people will notice that sugar will make them feel better during a low episode, its really a bad habit to have. Make sure you get enough protein each day. 50% of intake should be protein. Try to eat balanced meals that have both. I also read that supplementing with a good multimineral and chromium can help improve the condtion. My doctor just recommended me to start them, so I will find out if it improves.

Sunni

marciab Enthusiast

I know I need protein in order to function, but never really under hypoglycemia. I get weak and fuzzy headed without it. And really grouchy if I don't get some food fast ....

Can episodes of hypoglycemia be brought on by excercise ? I get weak and shakey when I am doing something physically demanding. THis happened to me in PT and I had to lie down for 20 minutes to stop the shaking.

I am confusing hypoglycemic spells with the akinetic spells / small seizures I was diagnosed with. Maybe, I just need more protein in my diet ?? How much ?

Marcia

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rusla Enthusiast

I had a doctor that never believed in hypoglycemia until they ran the tests in the hospital. They came and told me I had one of the highest levels they had ever seen. That was a very long time ago and I have long since dumped that doctor.

Lynxear Rookie

I am sort of an imposter I suppose. I have not been diagnosed as Celiac but I am a type II diabetic who has a great difficulty keeping my blood sugar under control. In addition to this I have a BIG problem with blood fats. I don't respond well to drugs. Statins which are used to treat blood fats made them worse and I am one of the 10% that gets artnritis in my fingers when take these drugs so I quit them.

I have felt that I have a problem with wheat for about 8 years now. But I don't seem to have Celiac disease characteristics. My digestion seems fine to me.

I once went to a naturopath for help after my GP ran out of ideas. The first thing these guys do is put you on a "cleaning diet" which among other foods eliminate wheat from your diet for 12 days. I just went on the diet...I took no herbs or other supplements and a blood test a month later showed a dramatic reduction in my blood fats....apparently this should not happen so quickly.

Three years ago I went to Thailand to teach ESL. Wheat is not a part of a normal Thai diet since they cannot grow wheat in a tropical country. My normal blood sugar readings in Canada were high 6's to 7's mmol/L... barely controled. After one month my readings were 5...it was so consistantly there I thought my glucometer was broken!! After 6 months I lost 35 lbs, blood sugar in the high 5's and a blood test revealed my blood fats in the "High normal" range (previously 10x high risk). This is after eating tons of white rice, pineapple (sweet and "to die for") and sweet peanut snacks (like a peanut brittle)...all of which is supposed to be poison to a diabetic

Three years later on a normal western diet I am back where I started {sigh}...worse actually since I have great difficulty

Then I ran across this article while surfing the net

Open Original Shared Link

It is research linking Wheat to Type I diabetes. It sort of confirms all of my suspicions. I just found this article and haven't shown it to my doctor....DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE SIMILAR PROBLEMS AS I???

Sorry for the long post but I wonder if there are others with my problem and how do they cope.

Thanks for the read.

Archived