This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mac And Cheese? Other Comfort Foods

sillyyak

VydorScope Proficient
Talking about comfort food... I made chicken and dumplings last night that were wonderful!!!! I'm from the south and dumplings are something I've really missed. YUM!

Plan to share your recipe??? :huh:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

penguin Community Regular
Plan to share your recipe??? :huh:

I second that! :D

I miss my mama's :(

Oh yeah, and if you've figured out a way to make chicken fried steak gluten-free, I'd love to know ;)

pumpkin Rookie
I second that! :D

I miss my mama's :(

Oh yeah, and if you've figured out a way to make chicken fried steak gluten-free, I'd love to know ;)

My dh made chicken fried steak for me a few weeks ago and I couldn't tell the difference. I will ask him what he did and post his recipe. Now that I think about it, I liked it better than the old way.

elfkin Contributor

Laura, your recipe sounds yummy! We will have to try it.

Southerners, while you wait for the chicken and dumplings (I am waiting too!), here is our "Southern-style" mac and cheese:

(Measurements approx.)

Cut up 1/2 stick of margarine or butter in the bottom of a casserole dish.

Add 2 eggs

Pour in @ 8 oz. of cooked gluten-free macaroni noodles

Add cut up chunks of cheese (as much as you like, I just eye-ball it) cheddar and/or any white cheeses

Salt and pepper

Stir it all up and add some milk until it looks somewhat soupy.

Bake @ 400* for 20 min.

Let it sit about 10 min. before eating.

Easy and yummy!

I fry chicken in gluten-free pancake mix with crushed gluten-free corn flakes and salt and pepper.

I have also used Bob's gluten-free all-purpose flour, seasoning, and crushed cornflakes.

Dip chicken in egg, fry in canola oil.

I usually fry it in little nugget or strip size pieces, that is what my kids like best.

Throw in some green beans and summer squash. . . anyone getting hungry? :P

mouse Enthusiast

Chicken Fried Steak. Oh YUM. Please post the recipe.

Lollie Enthusiast

Now that we're onto chicken fried stuff, any one ever try dredging your meat in the all purpose flour, and then in parmesian cheese, then fry?

It is so good! The cheese gets real crispy and it has a grat flavor! It's good on eggplant, like for eggplant parm! Or on veggies like zuchini or mushrooms for an appetizer!

And sometimes I'll through alittle ground up pecan into the mix!!!!

Lollie

Now that we're onto chicken fried stuff, any one ever try dredging your meat in the all purpose flour, and then in parmesian cheese, then fry?

It is so good! The cheese gets real crispy and it has a grat flavor! It's good on eggplant, like for eggplant parm! Or on veggies like zuchini or mushrooms for an appetizer!

And sometimes I'll through alittle ground up pecan into the mix!!!!

Lollie

I make chicken parmesan with gluten-free breadcrumbs, parm, italian seasoning, garlic salt, & lemon pepper.

Dip the flattened chicken into beaten egg, dip in the breadcrumb mixture, and pan cook. Once done, cover with sauce and mozzarella and stick under broiler to melt the cheese

YUM! :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

TCA Contributor

Here ya go. Y'all may have a different biscuit mix you use, but I like this one. I'm new to this, though. I use water in the mix to cut back on carbs since my hubby is a diabetic. Enjoy! :rolleyes:

Chicken and Dumplings

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

3 ½ cups water

2 cups skim milk

1 McCormick’s chicken bullion cube

1 T. freshly ground black pepper

1 1/2 tsp. salt

1 c. Cause You’re Special Biscuit Mix

3 T. Crisco, 0 Trans fat type

1 egg

1/3 c. water

3 T. cornstarch

4 T. water

Boil chicken in water until tender in a large saucepan. Remove from broth and cut into bite size pieces. Combine biscuit mix, Crisco, egg, and water according to package directions. Add milk, salt, and pepper to broth and return to a boil. Drop 1 tsp. of dough at a time into broth mixture. Keep it at a rolling boil. Add chicken to pot. Mix cornstarch and water in a separate container until all lumps disappear, then add to pot. Boil until desired consistency is reached (usually less than 5 minutes), stirring frequently.

pumpkin Rookie

Sorry for the delay on the Chicken Fried steak, sick child.

My dh uses the gluten free all purpose flour with salt, pepper and a dash of garlic salt. He coats the meat in a mixture of skim milk (or Lactaid for me) and two egg whites then coats the meat with the flour. He lightly fries in frying pan over medium high heat. For the gravy he uses the flour mixture with the milk and the drippings from the fried meat or substitutes chicken broth for the drippings. He's still working on the consistency of the gravy b/c it seems to thicken up quicker than a traditional gravy but man oh man is it tasty!

fatherof4yearold Rookie

We use the orange cheese powder from the bulk section of the super market and use rice instead of noodles my son loves it, get a foreman grill we cook homemade chicken nuggets right on the grill for a quick meal, also try braking up bar-b-que pototoe chips in the gluten-free flour and bread with that makes them taste really good, for burgers we cook corn tortillas lightly on the grill spray them with a cooking spray first get them just slight crispy put cheese on each piece and slap the burger in between tastes way better the rolls. Also wrap gluten-free hotdogs in cheese and then a corn tortilla spray lightly with gluten-free cooking spray and stick in the foreman grill instant hotdog in a "bun" cook the dog first of course.

Also wrap gluten-free hotdogs in cheese and then a corn tortilla spray lightly with gluten-free cooking spray and stick in the foreman grill instant hotdog in a "bun" cook the dog first of course.

I absolutely LOVE these! I never would have thought of it if I didn't have to be gluten-free :P

VydorScope Proficient
Also wrap gluten-free hotdogs in cheese and then a corn tortilla spray lightly with gluten-free cooking spray and stick in the foreman grill instant hotdog in a "bun" cook the dog first of course.

Sounds like a great idea! Dont have a foremen grill thought (wife melted it.) but plan to get one, so will keep this in mind! :)

Guest cassidy
Kraft now sells their powdered cheese for the Mac and Cheese in a parmesan cheese style container... in fact, just last night I made Tinkyada elbow noodles with the cheese sauce made from the Kraft cheese powder, just add butter and milk just like the Kraft boxes... I have tons left over and it's even better reheated the next day!

Nini,

Thank you so much for sharing this! I found the cheese at Walmart and had wonderful mac n cheese last night. This was something that I really missed. I tried the Annie's and DeBoles and didn't like either of those. I am so excited about this.

VydorScope Proficient

Still cant find that kraft stuff, andyone have another idea? :(

Becky6 Enthusiast

My mom used to make reg mac and cheese with Velveeta when we were kids. You could try that.

pinkpei77 Contributor
YAY! I thought I was the only person on Earth who actually likes chReese!!! It's good huh? I make it with rice milk (I add about twice as much as it says to use) and Earth Balance and it is awesome :)

yeah me too!! i make it really creamy! lots of earth balance! its soooo yummy!

have you tried the "chreese" dips. the are like nacho cheese for chips?

its sooo good too!!!

are you vegan?

Guest nini

Velveeta works for mac and cheese and so does Kraft Deli Deluxe American Cheese...

VydorScope Proficient
Velveeta works for mac and cheese and so does Kraft Deli Deluxe American Cheese...

So what just melt the velveta and mix?

sparkles Contributor

I use the gluten-free macaroni and just put in some cut up (Kraft) velveeta cheese with a little milk. It is better than the stuff that comes in the box.

Guest nini
So what just melt the velveta and mix?

when I drain and rinse the noodles, I melt some butter in the bottom of the pan, then I mix in Velveeta cut into small cubes and a little bit of milk and mix it til it's all melty and creamy, then I add the noodles back in and mix it all up.

jaten Enthusiast
YAY! I thought I was the only person on Earth who actually likes chReese!!! It's good huh? I make it with rice milk (I add about twice as much as it says to use) and Earth Balance and it is awesome :)

I have to laugh....I really am glad you like it. But it definitely shows that different tastes work for different people. In public I would have to say, "No thank you. I wouldn't care for any."

Guest nini
I have to laugh....I really am glad you like it. But it definitely shows that different tastes work for different people. In public I would have to say, "No thank you. I wouldn't care for any."

I thought that chreese was just NASTY!!!!! no thank you!!!

skinnyminny Enthusiast

So is the Chreese not worth it? I bought some last night and was exicted to have dairy free Mac N Cheese!

Guest nini
So is the Chreese not worth it? I bought some last night and was exicted to have dairy free Mac N Cheese!

it's all in your individual taste... some people like it, other's don't. personally I don't, but you might! Give it a try, if you can't have dairy, it may be just fine for you.

skinnyminny Enthusiast
it's all in your individual taste... some people like it, other's don't. personally I don't, but you might! Give it a try, if you can't have dairy, it may be just fine for you.

I didnt eat it by itself I added Hamburger like hamburger helper and it was actually really good we added salsa to some and it was a pretty good little casserole I would eat it again for sure sorry it didnt work for yall though!

Archived