Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

3 3
Christopher G

Oats: Good or bad?

Rate this topic

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

No idea myself.  i have the same reaction to oats that I do to wheat, rye and barley.  So i don't eat them intentionally.  One issue that come up with grain crops is potential contamination from crop rotation and transport.  Some companies only use grain from dedicated fields that don't rotate with gluten grains.  I don't think Quaker has that policy but not sure.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."

Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.

Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplant, celery, strawberries, pistachios, and hard work. Have a good day! 🙂 Paul

Join eNewsletter

Some people with celiac disease can’t eat any oats - they get the same reaction as to wheat, rye and barley.

For those that can eat oats, there is the issue of contamination by other grains in the field, transport and storage.  Quaker uses a sorting process that is supposed to remove other grains, but according to this page from their website, only if the product is labeled gluten free. It looks like they have a gluten free 1-minute quick oats.

https://www.quakeroats.com/products/hot-cereals/gluten-free-oatmeal

Join eNewsletter