This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Allergy Test

MACE

MACE Rookie

My PC doctor is wanting me to have some allergy test since I am having alot of allergy problems.

Went for the first appointment at allergy clinic and I was telling them about the gluten thing. They told me that since my blood test was not positive for celiac they do not think I have a true gluten problem but most likely an allergy to yeast. They said that going gluten free would also have gotten rid of alot of the yeast in my diet but not all of it. So I was wondering if any of you have had allergy test run to what all you are having and allergy to. I was also told by them that if I was truly having a celiac problem I would have been skinny before going gluten free instead of losing weight after going gluten free. From what I have read on here there are a good many of you that were like me, overweight and lost weight after going gluten free. So I am not real sure the allergy clinic knows as much as they seem to think they do.

Will be waiting to see what some of you think of all of this yeast thing.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Mary--It sounds like your allergist dosen't really know anything about Celiac. The notion that you have to be underweight is an old one that a lot of doctors still believe. Celiac is not an allergy, but an autoimmune disorder. That does not mean that a Celiac can not have other allergies. A true allergy to yeast would be proven by an allergy scratch or blood test. An intolerance to it would not show up on the allergy test. There are independant labs that do test for food intolerances. Most allergists and conventional doctors do not believe in this kind of testing. I actually had my first appt. with an allergist today. I had a slew of skin scratch testing for allergies--both food and airborne. I will go back in a month and be tested for more, including a patch test for environmental allergies. This doctor does not test for food intolerances via blood--he feels that the best way to figure out the intolerances is the rotation method. I will be working with him on that. He has an aunt who is a Celiac, and has some food intolerances himself--so I feel comfortable working with him. I would suggest, if you can, to make some calls and possibly find a different allergist who is more familiar with Celiac and food issues. :)

MACE Rookie
Hi Mary--It sounds like your allergist dosen't really know anything about Celiac. The notion that you have to be underweight is an old one that a lot of doctors still believe. Celiac is not an allergy, but an autoimmune disorder. That does not mean that a Celiac can not have other allergies. A true allergy to yeast would be proven by an allergy scratch or blood test. An intolerance to it would not show up on the allergy test. There are independant labs that do test for food intolerances. Most allergists and conventional doctors do not believe in this kind of testing. I actually had my first appt. with an allergist today. I had a slew of skin scratch testing for allergies--both food and airborne. I will go back in a month and be tested for more, including a patch test for environmental allergies. This doctor does not test for food intolerances via blood--he feels that the best way to figure out the intolerances is the rotation method. I will be working with him on that. He has an aunt who is a Celiac, and has some food intolerances himself--so I feel comfortable working with him. I would suggest, if you can, to make some calls and possibly find a different allergist who is more familiar with Celiac and food issues. :)

I will be having the scratch test on the 21st, both for food and air born. I am interested to see what shows up. Good luck and let me know how you do with your testing.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
My PC doctor is wanting me to have some allergy test since I am having alot of allergy problems.

Went for the first appointment at allergy clinic and I was telling them about the gluten thing. They told me that since my blood test was not positive for celiac they do not think I have a true gluten problem but most likely an allergy to yeast. They said that going gluten free would also have gotten rid of alot of the yeast in my diet but not all of it. So I was wondering if any of you have had allergy test run to what all you are having and allergy to. I was also told by them that if I was truly having a celiac problem I would have been skinny before going gluten free instead of losing weight after going gluten free. From what I have read on here there are a good many of you that were like me, overweight and lost weight after going gluten free. So I am not real sure the allergy clinic knows as much as they seem to think they do.

Will be waiting to see what some of you think of all of this yeast thing.

I think they don't know much about celiac. I went through skin testing before my allergist set me up with an elimination diet. I showed up positive to everything except beech trees! However after becoming gluten-free those allergies 'went away'. The only thing I am still 'allergic to is my kitty's spit (my eyes will water when she sucks on my arm, strange kitty that she is). I really don't think some doctors want a diagnosis of celiac, cynic that I am, it costs them money when they don't see us.

plantime Contributor
I really don't think some doctors want a diagnosis of celiac, cynic that I am, it costs them money when they don't see us.

I believe this is true for pharmaceutical companies, too. They haven't figured out how to make us pay them for what we eat!

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I have had allergy testing done. I've had skin prick tests and blood tests and I found out that I am allergic to wheat, milk, and yeast. I also have celiac disease in addition to these allergies.

If your tests come back negative for wheat, barely, rye, oats, and yeast, then I would suggest that you may be intolerant or sensitive to gluten. You could also ask for a celiac gene test to see if you have a celiac gene.

Archived