Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Rate this topic

I have celiac disease.  I am eating gluten free.  I am having problems with vomiting.  I had an endoscopy done and was told I have gastritis.  This was on 7/8/20 and I am barely eating and vomiting the majority of the time.  Otherwise I just get a very upset stomach.  The doctor gave me Sucralfate to take 4 times a day.  Every day is getting worse.  Any thing I put in my mouth/stomach, no matter the amount, I get so sick and usually vomit.  Even Ensure does it too.  

I am at my wits end.  Does anyone have any advise for me?

Thanks,

Help in Wi

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I am sorry that you are ill.   What was the source of your gastritis (like an ulcer, autoimmune gastritis or H.Pylori infection)?  

I have celiac disease.  Like you,  I had stomach (Gastric) issues.  My endoscopy/biopsies revealed a healed small intestine, but autoimmune gastritis.  

Is your celiac disease in remission?  I noticed you posted In May 2020.  You were diagnosed with celiac disease six years ago, but never went gluten free until your husband went into a nursing home.  I might be confused, but post today sounds like you had another endoscopy.  Was your small intestine better or still damaged?    You might just need to stay the course and make sure your food is really gluten free.  Time can heal.    Knitty Kitty’s advice is excellent.  

Trying to heal from both celiac disease and gastritis is difficult, but you can get better.  

Edited by cyclinglady

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

3 hours ago, Help in Wi said:

Help in Wi

Welcome to the forum.  

It sounds like you're having a rough time!  

Celiac Disease damages the villi in your small intestine.  The tips of the villi produce an enzyme (lactase) that digests dairy.  Ensure has dairy in it.  You might want to exclude dairy from your diet for a while.  

You may find gluten free/dairy free soups and stews easier to digest.  Cook the meat and veggies until they are very tender. 

Try to stick with fresh meat and veggies, cooked at home.  Canned soups frequently have gluten as thickeners, so read labels.  Processed gluten free cookies and breads are better left until you're feeling better.

Stay hydrated.  Drink water. Skip the caffeinated drinks (coffee, tea, sodas). 

A call to your doctor to inform him of the vomiting is warranted.  Prolonged vomiting may be a symptom of certain vitamin deficiencies. 

Keep us posted on your progress!  Hope you feel better soon!