Join eNewsletter
3 3
shirley wood graham

Celiac and divicular disease,

Rate this topic

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi, Shirely and welcome.

Did you mean to type "diverticular disease"? I cannot find anything for divicular disease when I google it.

Could your weight gain be caused from water accumulating in your tissues such as might happen with heart, kidney or liver disease? Are you having regular bowel movements and normal amount of urination? Do you have swelling in your legs or abdomen?

Have their been changes in your activity pattern? If your are eating the same but less active than formerly this could cause weight gain as well.

Have you added any new medications that might be causing the weight gain?

I think she means diverticulitis, which is fairly common. It can be very painful when you have flare ups, and if it is causing you pain it's important for you to consult with a gastroenterologist to see what is going on.

Scott Adams

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Founder Celiac.com

10 hours ago, shirley wood graham said:

I have both celiac and divicular disease,  I seem to be putting a lot of weight on and its not for what I eat, this is really causing me to have low mood.can anyone help please 

Welcome to the board Shirley. If your eating has not increased and your activity levels are the same you may want to have the doctor check your thyroid. Thyroid issues are not uncommon for folks with celiac.

As an aside before diagnosis I also had diverticulosis (not -isis which is when the diverticuli become inflamed).  The GI that did my colonoscopy said it was the most extensive he had ever seen. Usually the diverticuli are located only in the left descending colon but mine were throughout. On a repeat colonoscopy 5 years after my celiac diagnosis they were completely gone so yours may resolve also. If they are causing you pain do go back to the GI to make sure they are not inflamed.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)