This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten free meal/smoothie delivery service?

Michelle1234

Michelle1234 Contributor

I saw an ad for Daily Harvest and they say they are gluten free so I put in an order for a box. Tried a smoothie first and no reaction. Then tried the flatbread and had a gluten reaction. Also had a questionable reaction to their scoops. But it was the same day as the flatbread so not sure if it was just a follow up to the flatbread reaction. Two other items hard to tell because I had two at once and same questionable reaction. However there was no question on the flatbread reaction, it was my classic glutened reaction so I'm confident it was cross contaminated.

Since I loved the taste of everything I tried I asked for more details regarding their prep and they said some of their ingredients are processed on lines that process gluten ingredients but the machines were washed between uses. Apparently not washed well enough and they didn't tell me which ingredients or items so I have to consider the whole lot not safe.

Has anyone had luck with a gluten free meal delivery service? I love the concept and all the variety that I don't include on my own so would love to find something that works.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Neytiri Explorer
On 10/4/2020 at 2:48 AM, Michelle1234 said:

I saw an ad for Daily Harvest and they say they are gluten free so I put in an order for a box. Tried a smoothie first and no reaction. Then tried the flatbread and had a gluten reaction. Also had a questionable reaction to their scoops. But it was the same day as the flatbread so not sure if it was just a follow up to the flatbread reaction. Two other items hard to tell because I had two at once and same questionable reaction. However there was no question on the flatbread reaction, it was my classic glutened reaction so I'm confident it was cross contaminated.

Since I loved the taste of everything I tried I asked for more details regarding their prep and they said some of their ingredients are processed on lines that process gluten ingredients but the machines were washed between uses. Apparently not washed well enough and they didn't tell me which ingredients or items so I have to consider the whole lot not safe.

Has anyone had luck with a gluten free meal delivery service? I love the concept and all the variety that I don't include on my own so would love to find something that works.

Dear Michelle1234,

My answer is yes, but it's only a "case". Nearby my Italian village there's a pizzeria where they also prepared gluten-free pizzas and they have a delivery service. Other than this place, I never found anything else :( I think the only chance you have is searching for a gluten-free restaurant or something like that and ask if they have a delivery service....Moreover, I never found some sort of app dedicated to gluten-free meals/gluten-free meals delivery service. Hope to help some way

Michelle1234 Contributor

Thanks Neytiri,

You are right, I have to stay local. There are a number of restaurants near me that are safe to eat at.

My system hasn't yet recovered from trying Daily Harvest. I'm really surprised it has lasted this long but it may be due to me eating my own food for 6 months so I have been on a super safe diet.

Neytiri Explorer
On 10/7/2020 at 2:52 AM, Michelle1234 said:

Thanks Neytiri,

You are right, I have to stay local. There are a number of restaurants near me that are safe to eat at.

My system hasn't yet recovered from trying Daily Harvest. I'm really surprised it has lasted this long but it may be due to me eating my own food for 6 months so I have been on a super safe diet.

Dear Michelle1234,

You're welcome ;) It's currently really tough to be on a gluten-free diet, especially when it comes to restaurants :( Hope you're going to recover soon ;)

• 2 months later...
AZCeliacWife Rookie

Try Green Chef! It has gluten-free certification through the Gluten Intolerance Group. We've subscribed for months and had no reaction. The meals are also delicious. If you want to give them a try use my link below and get  $55 off your first box: credit.https://greenchef.com/invite/Azgf_A

Freshly is also certified gluten-free by the GIG but we haven't tried their service yet.

Don't try Hungry Root, my husband had a reaction to their meals!!

trents Grand Master

From your link, AZCeliacWife, I don't see any mention of their meals being gluten free.

AZCeliacWife Rookie
5 minutes ago, trents said:

From your link, AZCeliacWife, I don't see any mention of their meals being gluten free.

Go to https://greenchef.com/invite/Azgf_A and click 'Claim Discount'/'Get $55' and it will take you to a page where you can choose from 3 meal plans. The KETO + PALEO plan is Gluten Free Certified and you'll see the gluten-free logo next to it.

We actually subscribe to the Plant Powered plan (because I'm a vegetarian) and I just select meals that are gluten-free. The gluten-free meals are all specified and even though it's the Plant Powered plan all gluten-free meals in it are still gluten-free Certified and the recipe cards have the gluten-free logo. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 4 weeks later...
Nikki2777 Community Regular

Freshly is very tasty if a bit heavy on sauces (maybe why they’re so tasty!) I really liked it but had to stop because I was trying to lose weight. That was 1+ years ago and I gave that feedback so it’s possible they’ve introduced leaner options since then. 

I’ve also used Epicured and liked it, but it was pricey. 

Back in the ‘before times’ we got gluten-free meals from green chef and they were very good, but in my mixed household (only I have celiac) we mostly used blue apron and subbed in ingredients where we could - gluten-free soy sauce, etc. There were only a few meals I couldn’t eat with some modifications and their ingredient labeling and call center were very good. 

Thats very distressing about daily harvest and shared equipment. I hope you gave them serious feedback and let them know they shouldn’t claim gluten free that way. 

Scott Adams Grand Master

One of our sponsors here is Trifecta Nutrition, and they offer gluten-free prepared meals delivered:

https://www.trifectanutrition.com/gluten-free-eating-made-easy