This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

sdspain

sdspain Newbie

I have had extreme edema in my lower extremities for 20 years. Diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and had a thyroidectomy. Tried fluid pills that only helped a little. All kinds of testing including closing saphenous veins. Nothing has been found and nothing really helps. I even tried acupuncture. My acupuncturist made a comment about gluten allergy. I got curious and cut gluten out for two weeks. In that time, my brain fog started to clear. I had more energy, my edema had diminished. My skin wasn't as itchy. I started researching how auto immune diseases were a factor in gluten intolerance/celiac disease. Every symptom was getting better. I accidently ate a gluten food and swelled like a balloon, and noticed issue of not being able to think of words and forgetting. If your unsure, do your own testing. Go off gluten until you notice improvements then slowly add in oats then rye, barley and wheat. If its just a wheat allergy then you'll know as soon as your body tells you. My symptoms took 24hrs to manifest from time of ingestion. Keep a log of foods you eat and check labels. Doctors can't make money off of you so many will dismiss what you say. My suggestion is to do what makes you better and healthier. Remember, everyone's symptoms and bodies differ.l

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Scott Adams Grand Master

For those not yet diagnosed with celiac disease it might be a better approach to first get a blood test for celiac disease, especially since you can now do this mail order for under $100. If you aren’t able to do this your elimination approach is not a bad alternative, but many people with gluten sensitivity don’t have obvious symptoms.

Awol cast iron stomach Experienced

Also joining the forum here was helpful to know how to correctly maintain gluten-free diet/lifestyle on all levels. As members here know the "landmines" many newbies need to know, even if they go self elimination diet route. 

In the past I read online  reviews for restaurant s how many Celiac's go to local restaurants with gluten-free selection  etc. It can be misleading. I found the forum here saying only entirely gluten-free restaurants are safe. I found this to be true. 

The restaurant, shared manufacturing lines, variations in  labeling,  and personal care products are the  biggest risk landmine risks for those going gluten-free.

Also sticking to a whole foods diet during healing were all helpful tips that the celiac.com members warned newbies about which other articles or websites can muddy the water on these topics which can be risky for those who need to be on a medical gluten-free diet.