Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Rate this topic

Hi all!

I'm not sure if I belong here, I suppose I'll find out soon, as I was biopsied for celiac disease. For what seems like forever, I have had intense stomach pain almost all the time after eating, diarrhea, or, inversely, an urge to go to the bathroom without success. I am only 21 and have had both a cokonoscopy, and an endoscopy today. All seemingly normal, though my doctor is testing for celiac. My family has a history of Crohn's, Ulcerative Colitis, and Colon cancer, and I'm thankful it is none of those, but as far as I'm aware no one has Celiac. I have been diagnosed with IBS, and while I'm grateful it's nothing more serious, I know people who have IBS and it seems theirs in more cyclical instead of constant. My best friend has Celiac, and I know for a fact when she invests even a small amount of gluten she is down for the count, so I feel like I would know by now. Has anyone else presented in a less severe or more intermintant way? Thank you in advance. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

This is the right place, and welcome to the forum! 

Did you by chance get a celiac disease blood screening done? Normally this would take place before a biopsy. If so feel free to share the results here, as that would give us a good idea whether or not you might have celiac disease. Certainly your symptoms sound consistent with it.

It turns out that many celiacs don't have any symptoms, so few or no symptoms is fairly common. 

Scott Adams

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Founder Celiac.com

Thanks for replying, Scott! You know, I thought I did because I have a very thorough primary, but I wasn't sure what to look for in my mountain of blood test results so I'm not sure. I should call and ask, though. If I did and it was negative, would it still be possible it was somehow missed? 

12 minutes ago, Evabrooke_26 said:

Hi all!

I'm not sure if I belong here, I suppose I'll find out soon, as I was biopsied for celiac disease. For what seems like forever, I have had intense stomach pain almost all the time after eating, diarrhea, or, inversely, an urge to go to the bathroom without success. I am only 21 and have had both a cokonoscopy, and an endoscopy today. All seemingly normal, though my doctor is testing for celiac. My family has a history of Crohn's, Ulcerative Colitis, and Colon cancer, and I'm thankful it is none of those, but as far as I'm aware no one has Celiac. I have been diagnosed with IBS, and while I'm grateful it's nothing more serious, I know people who have IBS and it seems theirs in more cyclical instead of constant. My best friend has Celiac, and I know for a fact when she invests even a small amount of gluten she is down for the count, so I feel like I would know by now. Has anyone else presented in a less severe or more intermintant way? Thank you in advance. 

I feel like I should also add there was microscopic blood in my stool, which triggered the procedures 

If they did run the blood test and it were negative they likely would not be looking for celiac disease with a biopsy, but definitely call and see if they ran the test. It actually would be unusual for them to schedule the biopsy for CD without having first run the blood screening. If they haven't run it yet, I would request it.

Scott Adams

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Founder Celiac.com

There are several possible celiac tests.  Are any of these words/abbreviations on your lab reports?

Endymysial antigen or EMA

Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase or TTG

Deamidated Gliadin Peptides or DGP

22 hours ago, RMJ said:

There are several possible celiac tests.  Are any of these words/abbreviations on your lab reports?

Endymysial antigen or EMA

Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase or TTG

Deamidated Gliadin Peptides or DGP

Hi! I checked With a nurse at my primary care provider and I was not given the blood panel. I guess I'll find out sooner than later with the biopsy, hopefully. Thank you so much for your reply.