Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In
6 6
Madmichie

Could it be Celiac disease?

Rate this topic

Hello All,

How do I go about getting tested? Here's my story, I have been diagnosed with Hashimoto's and also have low ferritin and vit d. My symptoms are hair loss, tiredness, constipation, diarrhoea, headache, joint/muscle pain,  I look like a panda, have crazy mood swings and anxiety.

Whenever I talk to my doctors and tell them my symptoms, I think they just think I am a hypochondriac.

I have a telephone appointment next week to talk about my low vit d and ferritin. Can I request to be tested for celiac disease, even if there isn't any history of it in my family.

Thanks you

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

The fact that there isn't any history in the family of celiac disease doesn't mean that there wasn't any. It just means that no one was diagnosed with it. Many celiacs are largely asymptomatic for many years. We call that "silent celiac disease." You have many symptoms that directly or indirectly point to celiac disease. I would certainly request that from your doctor. Request a "full celiac disease panel." Don't go gluten free until the testing is done or you will invalidate the tests.

It's frustrating when doctors think you're a hypochondriac and claim it's all in your head. It was "all in my head", "psychosomatic" or maybe "just IBS, it's common" and "stress-related" for several years until I bought a self-test kit and tested positive for antibodies. Took one more self-test just to be sure and PROUDLY laid both indicators which both showed two purple lines on my GP's desk and said "I told you I was sick" like a boss!
Try it! 😀

If the doctor mention IBS, run. 

I have seven brothers and sisters, and none had Celiac, but were never tested

. My symptoms were very close to yours, and my personal doctor did not know anything about Celiac, and avoided the subject. I was tested once for Celiac and was told that I did not have it.  Somebody told me, after the symptoms continued, to be tested again.  The second test showed that I did have Celiac Disease.

1 hour ago, BuddhaBar said:

It's frustrating when doctors think you're a hypochondriac and claim it's all in your head. It was "all in my head", "psychosomatic" or maybe "just IBS, it's common" and "stress-related" for several years until I bought a self-test kit and tested positive for antibodies. Took one more self-test just to be sure and PROUDLY laid both indicators which both showed two purple lines on my GP's desk and said "I told you I was sick" like a boss!
Try it! 😀

Where can I get a self test kit from?

6 hours ago, Scott Adams said:

This blood screening article might also be helpful:

14 hours ago, Madmichie said:

Hello All,

How do I go about getting tested? Here's my story, I have been diagnosed with Hashimoto's and also have low ferritin and vit d. My symptoms are hair loss, tiredness, constipation, diarrhoea, headache, joint/muscle pain,  I look like a panda, have crazy mood swings and anxiety.

Whenever I talk to my doctors and tell them my symptoms, I think they just think I am a hypochondriac.

I have a telephone appointment next week to talk about my low vit d and ferritin. Can I request to be tested for celiac disease, even if there isn't any history of it in my family.

Thanks you

Hi Madmichie!

Thanks for posting. Definitely request the testing. I am not a medical professional. Celiac disease can have a wide variety of symptoms. I feel like it is a disease that is not well known, even in the medical community. If the doctor seems dismissive or reluctant, I would ask for a referral or seek out a second opinion.

I didn't have any family history of celiac disease either, but I tested positive. After all I have learned about it, I suspect that it may have been undiagnosed in previous generations.

Keep us posted!

11 hours ago, Madmichie said:

Where can I get a self test kit from?

The pharmacy. Google and check which pharmacy has them. It's a simple test and pretty accurate. Like a pregnancy test, but with blood instead of urine. I think the one I bought had 96% accuracy. 

If the doctor mention IBS, run.