This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I'm Going To The U.s, Need Some Help

loken23

loken23 Newbie

Hi!

I'm travelling to the U.S this summer (I'm swedish) and need some advise where to get gluten-free-food. I'm only staying for 2 weeks, in NY and Pittsburgh. I would really appreciate if someone could help me out a bit :) .

Is it possible to find gluten-free-products in normal supermarkets?

Snacks that are naturally gluten free?

Any fast food chain(s) and what to eat there?

..and if anyone knows... Is it allowed to bring bread into the country?

I'm really curious to see what the situation is like in the U.S for people us <_< and looking forward to try new food.

/Dan

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

elonwy Enthusiast

I can't really help with stores in that area, as I'm on the West Coast, but about the bread on the plane thing. You can bring it in, as long as it's for private consumption, and you won't be selling it or trying to promote it as a product. So a doctors note might help with customs if you plan on bringing alot of food with you. You also won't be able to bring in anything "fresh" like fruit or part of a plant, something that mihgt contain bugs. I have alot of international friends, so I've dealt with this alot.

That said, There are Whole Foods in many states in the us. Also, for dining in the US, most places that don't offer a gluten-free menu are pretty clueless. Dining cards are really helpful, and sometimes even help ME remember what I can't have. I recommend the triumph cards : www.triumphdining.com. I have those and LOVE them.

As the waiter said to me on Thursday night "oh this is so cool that you have this" (talking about the dining cards).

As for what products in the US are gluten-free, if you PM me with your email address I can send you the Delphi list in either word or .pdf format. Its not everything, but its useful in a normal supermarket.

Have fun :)

Elonwy

debmidge Rising Star

Yes, I recommend the "Whole Foods" (that's their name) stores...there are many -this is a type of supermarket for specialty foods which are all natural. They have website which will have all their locations in each state. I believe there are a few in NYC itself. Will you be staying in Manhattan (NYC)?

As to Pennsylvania..I am not certain.

As you may already know, Outback Steakhouse Restaurant has gluten-free menu. Check their website for locations in US.

There may be more restaurants in NYC that are gluten-free menu - a young person on this board by the name of celiac3270 would know as he lives in near NYC and has knowlege about this subject. Perhaps if he reads this he may add to this thread. Another member on the board lives in Philadelphia and may have some knowledge of PA. Re-name your thread -- state that you're traveling in PA and NYC and see if perhaps you get responses from others in those states. It's worth a try.

We do not eat out (my husband has celiac, not me) - he's too scared to try a restaurant since he's been diagnosed in 2003. No way I can convince him it's OK.

Debmidge...

mamaw Community Regular

There is a Whole Foods on Centre Ave, Pittsburgh. Sunnybridge is located in McMurray, Pa about a half hour from downtown Pittsburgh.It is a store that carries alot of gluten-free items. Outback is loacated in the North Hills area about 20 min. from the city.Smokey Bones is in Cranberry twp.there pulled pork is gluten-free .Bravo is also in the area and they are very nice about helping with special diets. The support group used to go to the Cranberry twp one for get-togethers.

You will also be safe with salads from McDonald's as they use Neuman's dressing . Don't eat their french fries!!!

enjoy your visit ............

mamaw

loken23 Newbie

Thank you all for the advise. I checked the website of these wholefoods-shops and they seem to have lots of nice bakery goods there. I can't wait to try it out :)

I have 2 more questions that I'd like to ask you guys.

Since I found out about my celiac 3 years ago there is one thing that I really miss. Some good tortilla-bread. Is it possible to find corn-tortillas in the shops there withot gluten?

The next question is a bit off-topic but I'm just curious how common celiac disease is in the U.S? I think they say here that 1 person out of 100 has it (but many are not aware of it).

/Dan

debmidge Rising Star

Dan

Supposedly it's same rate as UK 1 in 133 people have it either knowingly or unknowingly. But Drs. in USA are ignorant of celiac disease even existing and you can go for years from Dr. to Dr. not getting correct diagnosis. They say usual amount of time wasted is 11 years - for my husband that was 27 years.

There's a hard headedness abounding over this disease which is just recently lifting. Not every restaurant will serve gluten free, let alone know what you are talking about.

Archived