Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ogrestrength

Cross Contamination

I am new to this and still make mistakes here and there when out eating. I have read concerns of cross contamination and have to ask; Do some of you really get that bad that you are concerned with foods that have touched a wheat product?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I have gotten violently ill and broken out with horrible dh on my eye and face from just a few crumbs. The longer I am gluten free the sicker I get. I have to wipe down my desk and everything on it at work because a couple of crumbs are enough to make me sick for a few days. Granted some are not as sensative as I am but if it makes me that sick you know it is doing damage.

Rusla

Asthma-1969

wheat/ dairy allergies, lactose/casein intolerance-1980

Multiple food, environmental allergies

allergic to all antibiotics except sulpha

Rheumitoid arthritis,Migraine headaches,TMJ- 1975

fibromyalgia-1995

egg allergy-1997

msg allergy,gall bladder surgery-1972

Skin Biopsy positive DH-Dec.1 2005, confirmed celiac disease

gluten-free totally since Nov. 28, 2005

Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism- 2005

Pernicious Anemia 1999 (still anemic on and off.)

Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

Creative people need maids.

I have gotten violently ill and broken out with horrible dh on my eye and face from just a few crumbs. The longer I am gluten free the sicker I get. I have to wipe down my desk and everything on it at work because a couple of crumbs are enough to make me sick for a few days. Granted some are not as sensative as I am but if it makes me that sick you know it is doing damage.

Wow! I never knew it could get that bad.

I am so worried about CC. everylittle piece makes me barf violently for weeks.

when i go out to restaruants, then i make sure that he clean the pan/grill where they are cooking it.

Molly

I am new to this and still make mistakes here and there when out eating. I have read concerns of cross contamination and have to ask; Do some of you really get that bad that you are concerned with foods that have touched a wheat product?

I won't even allow gluten products in my home, nothing not toiletries or laundry detergent, not glues or paints (I am an artist and keep them in a totally seperate area from my living quarters), not pet foods or litters. I gave up trying to eat at restaurants long ago. I still get problems with CC at times, usually from a processed food, which makes me violently ill for a long time. Eat something that touched a wheat product? I won't eat it if it's in the same room :D

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Oh yeah! I have decided to become paranoid about gluten cross contamination. It's only my health, after all. I don't get the violently ill reactions as other do, but I can sure do without the brain fog, chronic fatigue and mood tailspins that even the littlist molecule seems to cause. No kissing hubby if he's "not safe"... I've gotten reactions from him sipping out of my cup when he's had something with gluten and then I drank out of it. Besides, better safe than sorry anyhow.

gluten-free since Oct 1996

Heh. I just got glutened yesterday (bah!) because I went to a pancake restaurant with some people. The only thing I had there was a cup of tea, and I borrowed a fork to eat my own fruit salad with. Either one must have had traces of flour in it/on it. Anyway, today I'm bloated and tired, feel like a wet rag...

I did wonder if it was such a good idea before I went there. should have trusted my instincts, sigh.

Pauliina

Hello!

I got glutened last night by my inlaws. They just don't get it. Both my husband and I have explained a million friggin times, and they don't get it. Anyway, the brain fog, insomnia, cramps, headache and mood swings are in full swing.

Cross contamination is a huge issue that a lot of people don't get. You must be strict about it. The results are not fun. My inlaws seem to try to do the right thing, but I'm always sick afer eating there. I want to bring my own food, but am afraid to insult them. I'll have to figure it out, I guess.

Being new to all of this I had no idea about cc but it explains so much. I have tried so hard the last three weeks and every once in awhile have a reaction when I know it wasn't me. Also I had no idea that insomnia could be caused by this. No one has been able to tell me why I can't sleep. Thanks so much. This site is so wonderful when you have no clue but know where you can go to get help. THANKS

jennyj

Diagnosed March 2006 celiac sprue

Severe iron deficent anemia Jan 2002

Hypoglecemia 2000

"I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me"

CC will make me sick for 3 weeks. I'm just over the last episode. I avoid gluten, anything it touches, etc. like the plague. I din't think I'm paranoid--it really does make me that sick!

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev