• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Lollie

Problem With Vitamins?

Rate this topic

I've got a question. I started taking a B vitamin complex with probiotics last week. I posted that the results had been extremely positive. I have taken the one vitamin daily since. I have been queezy at night for about a week. I also have a cold/allergies that have my sinus in fits. Yesterday, I felt great, went to bed at a normal time. But my stomach woke me up at 1:30 am and I haven't been back to sleep since. The pain was horrible. It was in waves, like cramps, but all very spikey feeling. I had alot of nausea, no vomiting, no "d". It lasted all night. I feel better now, but can't figure out what happened. It was very much like when my gall bladder would hurt me, but I had it removed a year and a half ago.

I know it wasn't gluten. I have only eaten at home for the past few days. My stomach still hurts, very uneasy, and I feel very weak. If anyone has any idea what this might be please reply. I just don't want to endure another night like last night.

Thanks in advance!

Lollie

I have had those pains for about 3 years, and about half the time I end up throwing up. My doctor calls it pyloric spasms, your stomach muscle literally spasms like any other muscle. They come once every 2-3 months for me, though now I think it's gluten related. It seems like I get that pain 3-4 days after glutening, although I'm not sure of the correllation yet. No other cause has been found, and I think they did every test in the world for it. I take phenergan when it happens, and it knocks me out for at least a day.

As far as those B-vites, I'm taking them too, though not regularly. I took two last night and today I feel like I was hit by a truck. Achey, tired, stomach is wierd. I already know I don't do vitamins well, though I don't know what the deal is.

Sorry, I'm not much help, but I thought I'd share that I have some of the same problems. Feel better :)

This is strange--I responded to your post, and it disappeared. Anyway, I remember you telling us about your new vitamins. I looked them up, thinking I might want to try them, too. There was something in there, I can't remember what, that I knew I couldn't tolerate. Also, recently, I tried Culturelle--a probiotic. I was fine for the first 4 days or so. Then the same type of symptoms that you describe set in. I found it hard to believe it was the probiotic--it was highly recommended, and I thought it would only help. I researched it further, and found out that people with a sensitivity to milk could experience problems with that particular one. I am dairy free 2 years--very strictly for 6 months. Could you post the name of the vitamins again? I could look them up and see again what it was that concerned me about them.

my chiro gets her vits and other supplements from only certain vendor as she is really really particular with what she gets for her patients. i could ck on the vit 'b's and see if she carries them. I also take a acidopholus (?) and yeast defense from her..let me know if you want me to ck. could buy and send to you.

she always tells me to 'listen to my body' and back off and retry if you know they are 'ok for you'

sorry i can't be more help.

judy in philly

I use a store brand for my mega complete vitamin B complex and the label says no to all the bad stuff I can't eat and I don't seem to have a problem.

Now, I do get those spasms - usually when I have used a pot that was used for gluten--only thing we still shared. I now have a gluten-free pot along with my other gluten-free pans and dishes. It hits in the night and there goes the sleep.

Check to see if your vitamins contain yeast. It's quite possible. My dietician gave me a packet of information about vitamins that are completely "junk-free" -- but I can't find it right now. Will get back to you with the name, phone, etc.