• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

I have always thought bleu cheese contained gluten (the blue mold is formed on bread made with flour). After reading the gluten free menu at the Outback, they claim all of their salad dressings are gluten-free, that would include the bleu cheese. Am I wrong.....is bleu cheese dressing safe?

I work at Outback. I'm not sure who told you that all of the restaurant's dressings are gluten-free, but the Bleu Cheese and the Mustard Vinigarette are NOT gluten-free. All others are. I recommend the tangy tomato.

- Lauren

Editing to change my post:

Outback said its bleu cheese dressing was gluten-free until recently but pulled back because they were supposedly looking into how the vinegar in it is flavored. That was a few months ago but there's been no further info.

The blue cheese Outback uses (can't remember the brand name) is started on an artificial medium of some sort, not on bread, and so the cheese itself is gluten-free. This is true for a number of bleu cheeses. Boarshead for one. Kraft bleu cheese dressing is gluten-free and at one time so was Marie's (don't know about Marie's now).

I agree with being cautious, but there's simply no reason to live without something as wonderful as bleu cheese when you don't need to do so.

richard

I never got sick on Outback's bleu cheese until a few weeks ago. It made me feel REALLY glutened. Are you guys sure that the recipe didn't change? I never got sick on it before and that's what I always ordered.

I have always thought bleu cheese contained gluten (the blue mold is formed on bread made with flour). After reading the gluten free menu at the Outback, they claim all of their salad dressings are gluten-free, that would include the bleu cheese. Am I wrong.....is bleu cheese dressing safe?

I dine there ALL the time, and if you read the fine print on the gluten-free menu, its says that all dressing are gluten-free except the bleu cheese and the mustard vinaigrette.

I dine there ALL the time, and if you read the fine print on the gluten-free menu, its says that all dressing are gluten-free except the bleu cheese and the mustard vinaigrette.

(Just ate there tonight, and brought home the gluten-free menu, lists those two as NOT gluten-free!!)

I did a little digging on blue cheese once, nothing conclusive, but I found a page on the subject.

Someone had written to (I beleive it was sargento) to ask if they had gluten in their blue cheese.

The resonce was they they bought their cheese mold, and cheesemold contents are trade secrets, but that the way they made the blue cheese was to put a few grams of cheese mold into a huge vat of milk, and that even if the mold was 100% gluten, the amount in the end product would only be a few parts per million.

But that's one company.

Gluten-Free Living magazine did a whole story on cheeses, with a sidebar on blue cheeses, and concluded that the cheeses themselves are safe. The worst-case scenario found was .00274 mg of gluten if you ate like a quarter pound of blue cheese, and especially given that nobody eats that much blue cheese, their medical advisor felt it was fine.