• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

Got the following response from Dry Blackthorn Cider:

Thank you for your e-mail and enquiry regarding Blackthorn Cider.

We are pleased to inform you that Blackthorn Cider complies with the Codex Alimentarius standard for gluten free products.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us, we hope this information is of use to you.

Kind Regards,

Kirsty Haynes

Customer Care Administrator

01275 890 294

kirsty.haynes@cbrands.eu.com

hey thanks for resurrecting this, i totally forgot about it. this is the email i got:

Further to your enquiry on Blackthorn Cider. I can confirm that it is gluten free, A glucose/fructose syrup derived from a wheat base is used in its manufacture, but there is no residual gluten present.

I do hope that this information is of assistance.

With kind regards to you.

Lesley Carruthers

Export Administration Team Leader

Constellation Europe Limited

Tel: 00 44 1275 890515

Fax: 00 44 1275 890684

Please note my new email address: Lesley.Carruthers@cbrands.eu.com

so looks like it's safe!

--matt

hey thanks for resurrecting this, i totally forgot about it. this is the email i got:

so looks like it's safe!

--matt

How do you get that from the eMails taken together?

Both seem to be in conflict .. in order for it to comply with the codex definition of gluten free some gluten must be present

I can confirm that it is gluten free, A glucose/fructose syrup derived from a wheat base is used in its manufacture, but there is no residual gluten present.

Reading this I understand that they remove the gluten to codex limits which allows them to say gluten free but in combintion with the other email I find it unlikely that "there is no residual gluten present" otherwise they would have posted the testing method and detection limits.

"I can confirm that it is gluten free, A glucose/fructose syrup derived from a wheat base is used in its manufacture, but there is no residual gluten present. "

I would not touch this with even someone else's hand. :blink: Sorry but this most definately does not fit the definition of gluten-free from my book.

I've sent the following email to Dry Blackthorn seeking clarification. As I'm hoping to drink cider as a gluten free alternative to beer, I'm keen to hear their response:

Thanks for your response. I posted it on the celiac.com message board to let others know about this, but some doubts have been raised. Apparently another member of the message board got a reply from Dry Blackthorn stating:

"Further to your enquiry on Blackthorn Cider. I can confirm that it is gluten free, A glucose/fructose syrup derived from a wheat base is used in its manufacture, but there is no residual gluten present."

This led someone to state:

"Reading this I understand that they remove the gluten to codex limits which allows them to say gluten free but in combination with the other email I find it unlikely that "there is no residual gluten present" otherwise they would have posted the testing method and detection limits."

Could you clarify this and, if possible, post the testing method and detection limits?