This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Is "wasting" Or "wasted Buttocks"?

wonkabar

wonkabar Contributor

My three year old had a bazillion symptoms of Celiac prior to going on a gluten free diet. BTW-he's doing great on it!! (no thanks to the medical community! :angry: ) What a difference a couple months and NO GLUTEN make! :) Anyway, one of the symptoms I could never quite figure out when I specifically researched children's symptoms was "wasting" or "wasted buttocks". He always had a pot-belly that was written-off to low-average muscle tone He does infact have low-average tone, but no one ever put together the other symptoms with the pot belly...go figure right?? Anyway, the pot belly has "mysteriously" disappeared since he's been gluten free! <_< GAP jeans which never fit him b/c of his belly now fit like a glove. Are the two connected some how? Just curious....

--Kristy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Smunkeemom Enthusiast

wasting (afaik) means losing weight, the wasted buttox is where their little rears have no fat.

I found a drawing of a celiac kid, and it really looks like my 3 year old did prior to being diagnosed, big hard belly, saggy thin rear end.

mommida Enthusiast

When you're an adult the wasted buttocks makes buying a pair of jeans a nightmare! I have belly fat but no but, If the jeans slip down from your belly, there's nothing to hold those pants on and down they will go.

L.

Lisa Mentor

I totally agree, buying pants are a nightmare. I was once a 14 pant size because of my belly. My legs are very thin as well as my arms. I have NO butt and get backaches when I sit on chairs for any length of time. Now I am a size six, just for my belly. If I would be a size 2 if it were not be for my belly. If I could twist my torso around, I could have a fairly good figure. My belly is bigger than my butt.

You do tend to loose body fat on your butt and your feet as well. I wake up every morning with leg aches because I also have no padding on my feet. I wear a 9 1/2 tripply slim.....try finding shoes

Lisa

Chako Apprentice

Wow. My son looks like that. We were told by our last "GI" that his huge pot belly was due to stool holding. (He is not a stool holder by the way) and we are astounded by how this kid has absolutely NO butt. He needs a size 5 pant for length and yet needs a 3X or small 4 for waist. Shopping is not fun. I came across muscle wasting too and was wondering if it is just these kids being so slender? My son is relatively very tall and his butt does not sag at all, it is just very small.

Does anyone find that the pot seems to come and go after a stool?

wonkabar Contributor

Thanks for the explanation!!

--Kristy

mart Contributor

Yes, the lack of butt is a symptom in children. My son was very sick before going gluten-free, but he always had a great butt! (go figure?) He's still small and skinny, though. Also, he had the long, beautiful lashes celiacs have, but they shrunk after going gluten-free. Now they're "normal" looking lashes.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Mart:

I'm 51, not a todder, and as my friends say, "noassitol" is the disease that I suffer from. :D It happens to big girls too. :)

Lisa

e&j0304 Enthusiast

Oh my gosh! My toddler looked JUST like that drawing before she went gluten free. However, sometimes she still looks kind of like that and still doesn't have a butt. She has been gluten-free for almost a year. Is that normal?

Sometimes I just wonder if that's how she was built... It has gotten better, but isn't fully gone. Just wondering what you all think!

Guest Robbin
I totally agree, buying pants are a nightmare. I was once a 14 pant size because of my belly. My legs are very thin as well as my arms. I have NO butt and get backaches when I sit on chairs for any length of time. Now I am a size six, just for my belly. If I would be a size 2 if it were not be for my belly. If I could twist my torso around, I could have a fairly good figure. My belly is bigger than my butt.

You do tend to loose body fat on your butt and your feet as well. I wake up every morning with leg aches because I also have no padding on my feet. I wear a 9 1/2 tripply slim.....try finding shoes

Lisa

Geez, Lisa, you sound like me only I am plus size 18 and the rest of me could be a 12 easy. The feet thing, too --I am a ten narrow and the pain is sooooo bad on my feet. Is that a sign too? No pads on the feet? Feels like the bones are right under the skin. Both my boys have it too. They are skinny and no rears at all. They used to have the belly bulge which I agree was a pain. I had to buy my oldest husky size waist and the butt just looked saggy. I usually ended up cutting off and hemming. --a tip--sometimes I could find in-between sizes in Levis for kids. I found size 11 when he was in-between. Also, if you have trouble finding boys (or girls) sizes, check the girls (or if you have a girl, the boys') jeans that are just generic jeans (DON'T TELL THE BOY!!!) and you may be able to fit them.

kenyonsmommy Rookie
wasting (afaik) means losing weight, the wasted buttox is where their little rears have no fat.

I found a drawing of a celiac kid, and it really looks like my 3 year old did prior to being diagnosed, big hard belly, saggy thin rear end.

I just started crying when I saw that picture, it looks just like my 2 year old son. It only been two weeks since his diagnosis, and I think the belly is going down and his face has filled out a little. It makes my chest ache to see him with his clothes off, I am hoping it gets better soon. I just stunned at that picture, I am still kind of in shock from the diagnosis, it makes it that much more real for me.

Tricia

Smunkeemom Enthusiast
Oh my gosh! My toddler looked JUST like that drawing before she went gluten free. However, sometimes she still looks kind of like that and still doesn't have a butt. She has been gluten-free for almost a year. Is that normal?

Sometimes I just wonder if that's how she was built... It has gotten better, but isn't fully gone. Just wondering what you all think!

My 3 year old has been gluten free for 2 years (as of Monday, yeah we celebrated, but it's also her birthday so we were kinda celebrating anyway) she still has a bigger belly than rear end, but it's not as pronounced. I think that she is getting better proportioned though, maybe next year she will be "evened out" like her older sister.

debmidge Rising Star

Lack of butt fat is a concern for celiacs (young and old), and especially for those who have been mis or un-diagnosed for a while. It means that you've been impacted either so long or intensely that your body went thru the fat in the normal areas and is eliminating it in the next areas to go, like butt, feet, face, etc.

Hubby's feet are so thin, foot doctor says he has almost no fat left on them which is causing foot problems as the foot is not normal and the sole is getting too much pressure and the structure of the foot has changed. No way to fix this. Gaining weight won't help as new fat is getting deposited in waistline, not feet not butt.

His butt has lost fat and his pants waist is 34 due to residual bloating while his hip is 32 or less. All his pants & underwear in rear area are gigantic on him. It's a nightmare when he goes shopping or mailorder. I told him next step is a kilt and long underwear.

The weight loss has a anorexic quality about it. His face has gotten skeletal in appearance as well and I can see that he lost fat in checkbones and area above the hinge in the jaw.

Archived